Speed Control at Killington

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Woodsrider
Slalom Racer

Speed Control at Killington

Post by Woodsrider »

Speed Control Officials are out on the mountain carrying scanners. The pussifucation of the beast has begun.
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Re: Speed Control at Killington

Post by hillbangin »

Interesting - what is the speed limit on the hill?

Can't wait for those signs
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Woodsrider wrote:Speed Control Officials are out on the mountain carrying scanners. The pussifucation of the beast has begun.
So on a day when the lines are out the corrals, the slopes are jammed, and cars parked way down the Access Road you're whining that you can't ski as recklessly as you want? You sound like a world class toolbag and I hope yours is the first pass they pull. What kind of inconsiderate asshole are you? Look, if you kill yourself, not my problem, I really don't care, but chances are you'll hurt someone else in the process. I know way too many innocent people that have been badly hurt at Killington because of idiots like you skiing/riding recklessly on crowded slopes. Find another mountain. Please. Now! When it's empty, open 'em up, but on a busy day like today, you're just another entitled jerk the mountain would be better off without.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

What trails were they on?
vtlover
Beginner On Rentals

Post by vtlover »

Woodsrider is a complete asshole reading his posts over the years. Get a life Jerkoff. I’ve also been injured and have had friends hurt from jag offs flying out of control.
Woodsrider
Slalom Racer

Post by Woodsrider »

rogman wrote:
Woodsrider wrote:Speed Control Officials are out on the mountain carrying scanners. The pussifucation of the beast has begun.
So on a day when the lines are out the corrals, the slopes are jammed, and cars parked way down the Access Road you're whining that you can't ski as recklessly as you want? You sound like a world class toolbag and I hope yours is the first pass they pull. What kind of inconsiderate asshole are you? Look, if you kill yourself, not my problem, I really don't care, but chances are you'll hurt someone else in the process. I know way too many innocent people that have been badly hurt at Killington because of idiots like you skiing/riding recklessly on crowded slopes. Find another mountain. Please. Now! When it's empty, open 'em up, but on a busy day like today, you're just another entitled jerk the mountain would be better off without.
Hey Rogman, go f*** yourself. Not once in my post did I say I was skiing fast. I never ski outside of my ability and I am never out of control. I skied with my kids today you doucebag. It is scum sucking nitwits like you that cast blame for every little issue on others to the point that you have turned this country into a litigious nanny state. You sir are a first class asshole.
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

If one is in control and they don't intentionally buzz anyone and they aren't skiing in a total beginner area, they should be able to go as fast or as slow as they'd like. I always ski in control and at a speed I feel is reasonable based on the conditions and number of other people on the trail. I have never taken out another skier or snowboarder and I have not come close to through any fault of my own. The last thing I need is someone who has no clue what my (or anyone else's) skiing ability deciding for me whether I'm slow enough or not and with the threat of ticket pulled if I'm not. Just because some gapers wanted to go down some trail they had no business being on is going down in a power wedge at a snail's pace doesn't mean I should be dumbed down to their level.

And Stratton does the same thing now although only in a few choke points. Everyone seems to be trying to copy Vail who has done this for years.
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

The question is: where were they?

If they were at some of the bad intersections and choke points I would think it is reasonable (and maybe needed), if they were in areas where it is open and safe to let it rip (for those who are in control) it might be a bummer.
Don't Killington Pico
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

Killington has historically had ambassadors yelling at people to slow down at choke points on busy days.
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
da Pimp
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by da Pimp »

KIlington is putting speed control people at the slow zones and choke points. We all know where they are; if you see a SLOW sign, there is a reason that it is there. So ripping fast by it or in that area will get a warning from someone. You won't see speed control applied on canyon or bear trails, for example. But if you carry your high speed right up to the Skye Peak Quad corral, you are creating a hazard that 98% of the people at that point do not accept. And the paying customers that complain about speeders far outnumber the speeders. Guess who management is listening to. Killington has a reputation for out of control reckless skiing/riding more than other areas. Maybe its the terrain, but we all see it every day out there including KMS type kids who feel every trail is a race trail.

Everyone always feels that they are in control, right up to the point when they are not in control, and the accident takes place. If you cannot turn to avoid someone/something or slow down enough to do that, you are not in control. This does not mean you can take 50 feet to slow down. That is too late.

If anyone feels that they are exempt from slowing down in a posted SLOW zone, your rights are being trampled, and speed control is not needed for you please contact Killington management and explain your justification for skiing/riding however the hell you feel like wherever and whenever. Then let kzone know what their response is.
Killington_Lover
Slalom Racer

Post by Killington_Lover »

Killington (and most everywhere) has been pussified since I started skiing in the early 90s. For the most part I agree, there is no sense in scaring the majority of profitable newbs out there. On the other hand I have been chased on WEEKDAYS at SUGARLOAF of all places because an ambassador didn’t like entering an EMPTY lift line switch... bet they don’t hit 60ft jumps switch but then again if you are an expert you still need to abide by the rules, no matter how obtuse they or the enforcers may be...and no in my THOUSANDS of days have I ever hit someone
Ski It If You Can!..
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

As has been said, amabassadors have been ticketing people for years.
Certain days at certain spots .. it makes sense.
As long as they don't use a breathalyzer, most of you will will be OK :wink:
Nothing new here ..

What's most surprising is Rogman going off and the response to that.
Yikes :chill

Smokey in the bushes at mile marker 15 giving out green stamps .. :twisted:

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

What is the speed limit?

Let's park Bridgewater Roscoe at the corner of Great Northern and Klink and generate some revenue for the mountain. Plenty of bushes to hide in.

Could pay for the interconnect?
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

Killington_Lover wrote:Killington (and most everywhere) has been pussified since I started skiing in the early 90s. For the most part I agree, there is no sense in scaring the majority of profitable newbs out there. On the other hand I have been chased on WEEKDAYS at SUGARLOAF of all places because an ambassador didn’t like entering an EMPTY lift line switch... bet they don’t hit 60ft jumps switch but then again if you are an expert you still need to abide by the rules, no matter how obtuse they or the enforcers may be...and no in my THOUSANDS of days have I ever hit someone
They need enforcement because there has been a gradual falloff in responsible skiing culture over the last few decades. On average, when people learn to ski, they don't always learn things like how to respect other trail users and basics like the skier's responsibility code, which leads to some people treating it like a self centered free for all. I've blasted by my fair share of slow signs and bad intersections, but do try to moderate myself, and am far safer than most trail users overall - not just because of my skills, but because of my situational awareness and overall safe behavior.

Riding switch into a lift corral, even empty, is a safety issue and unnecessarily risky, it will get you yelled at by any employee anywhere.
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
Killington_Lover
Slalom Racer

Post by Killington_Lover »

Man HS you have seemed more and more reasonable as of late... I still take issue with your switch remark, perhaps you are not as skilled in that way as some of us but my switch is about as dangerous as 99% of this boards regular... then again I could see that striking fear in the untrained eye “he’s going backwards! He’s out of control!!!1”
Ski It If You Can!..