Speed Control at Killington

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Re: Speed Control at Killington

Post by Highway Star »

Killington_Lover wrote:Man HS you have seemed more and more reasonable as of late... I still take issue with your switch remark, perhaps you are not as skilled in that way as some of us but my switch is about as dangerous as 99% of this boards regular... then again I could see that striking fear in the untrained eye “he’s going backwards! He’s out of control!!!1”
My opinion on speed and safety hasn't changed in quite a while.

Skiing switch in the lift line falls into the category of "freestyle skiing in the lift corral', which is prohibited at every ski area. That includes jumping (like off a mogul/berm), jibbing, butters, ollies, etc. Expect to be yelled at if anyone is paying attention.
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

Riding switch into a corral is something I would expect from a kms brat, certainly not an adult. I don't care how well you ski backwards, it's childish.
Killington_Lover
Slalom Racer

Post by Killington_Lover »

And if a boarder rides unnatty? See y’all fools in the park!
Ski It If You Can!..
Seacoaster
Bumper

Post by Seacoaster »

I saw them on Caper to the K1 Saturday. I think they are just trying to moderate the idiots, which is needed. I really wish they would address the terrain parks with some type of "Park Pass" where a brief common sense course could be completed online which would give you access to the parks. It has become insanely dangerous for my boys to build on progression in the parks. Hitting a Dreamaker kicker and having some gapers with their 4 kids slide into the landing and fall is deadly combination! I get that they see the parks as "less skied" but they do not follow safe park practices and often should still be on the magic carpet. Know the code!
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Seacoaster wrote:I saw them on Caper to the K1 Saturday. I think they are just trying to moderate the idiots, which is needed. I really wish they would address the terrain parks with some type of "Park Pass" where a brief common sense course could be completed online which would give you access to the parks. It has become insanely dangerous for my boys to build on progression in the parks. Hitting a Dreamaker kicker and having some gapers with their 4 kids slide into the landing and fall is deadly combination! I get that they see the parks as "less skied" but they do not follow safe park practices and often should still be on the magic carpet. Know the code!
yer right about that but good luck...same gapers love steeps, woods and bumps too...same as the in parks they erratically traverse across em flailing and falling w/o a care in the world as to who's coming down the hill as far as they are concerned" they're the downhill skier" and thus magically immune from error or injury...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

Woodsrider wrote:Speed Control Officials are out on the mountain carrying scanners. The pussifucation of the beast has begun.
How did you notice them in a blur? Do they look like they ski well enough to catch you? Do their scanners work at 40 mph? Are they just fixtures for posterity?
ImageImageImageImage
GnarDawg
Green Skidder

Post by GnarDawg »

I have no problem with speed control I think it's a great thing. Sunday River has them at certain points and no one complains about them. For the most part if you're skiing in control you can slow down pretty easy.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

As said they were seen on caper on a busy weekend. I have no problem with them slowing people down on crowded greens. If it starts happening trails of blue and black ratings I would then have an issue with it.
Sgt Eddy Brewers
Slalom Racer

Post by Sgt Eddy Brewers »

snoloco wrote:If one is in control and they don't intentionally buzz anyone and they aren't skiing in a total beginner area, they should be able to go as fast or as slow as they'd like. I always ski in control and at a speed I feel is reasonable based on the conditions and number of other people on the trail. I have never taken out another skier or snowboarder and I have not come close to through any fault of my own. The last thing I need is someone who has no clue what my (or anyone else's) skiing ability deciding for me whether I'm slow enough or not and with the threat of ticket pulled if I'm not. Just because some gapers wanted to go down some trail they had no business being on is going down in a power wedge at a snail's pace doesn't mean I should be dumbed down to their level.

And Stratton does the same thing now although only in a few choke points. Everyone seems to be trying to copy Vail who has done this for years.
Like the way you stated yourself.

The rules in the first sentence are IMPORTANT though. Young boarders "buzzing" other slower skiers/riders on green slopes for the thrill of it...that really grinds my gears. Had a daughter hit at high speed by a boarder who had laughed while missing others uphill. Almost killed the young man. .

Skiing fast on an open trail or through the trees ought to be the source of adrenaline for those that need it. Fast is the whole point for many of us. Fast on crowded slopes is pretty dicey. The deal has got to be that you will be held liable for any damage you caused (need witnesses for this) The courts should have little mercy on that account.
Ski the edges!
PinnacleJim
Slalom Racer

Post by PinnacleJim »

Frankly, anyone complaining about this is probably part of the problem.
BoozeTan
Guru Poster

Post by BoozeTan »

Sgt Eddy Brewers wrote: The rules in the first sentence are IMPORTANT though. Young boarders "buzzing" other slower skiers/riders on green slopes for the thrill of it...that really grinds my gears. Had a daughter hit at high speed by a boarder who had laughed while missing others uphill. Almost killed the young man. .

Skiing fast on an open trail or through the trees ought to be the source of adrenaline for those that need it. Fast is the whole point for many of us. Fast on crowded slopes is pretty dicey. The deal has got to be that you will be held liable for any damage you caused (need witnesses for this) The courts should have little mercy on that account.
Because skiers and those KMS/KSC brats never do this, only boarders, right??

both times I have been seriously injured it was by an out of control skier...maybe if skiers realized that when you come up fast on a boarders heel side they cant always see you. A simple on your left on your right when coming up on anyone, skier, boarder, etc goes a long way to preventing crashes
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

BoozeTan wrote: A simple on your left on your right when coming up on anyone, skier, boarder, etc goes a long way to preventing crashes
This. Plus don't blast the music so you can hear people saying it.
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

BoozeTan wrote:
Sgt Eddy Brewers wrote: The rules in the first sentence are IMPORTANT though. Young boarders "buzzing" other slower skiers/riders on green slopes for the thrill of it...that really grinds my gears. Had a daughter hit at high speed by a boarder who had laughed while missing others uphill. Almost killed the young man. .

both times I have been seriously injured it was by an out of control skier...maybe if skiers realized that when you come up fast on a boarders heel side they cant always see you. A simple on your left on your right when coming up on anyone, skier, boarder, etc goes a long way to preventing crashes
Left/right can be confusing when one is standing sideways. I prefer saying "heel side" or "on your back" as I cruise by. Which brings up another potential issue. Just because I'm passing you, it doesn't (necessarily) mean I'm going too fast. Everyone's definition of "in control" and "too fast" is different...staying safe means being aware of your surroundings and understanding the skiers code.
ImageImageImageImage
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

BoozeTan wrote:

"HUP" or "heads up" or "passing" yelled to the person is more effective because they will automatically and subconsciously know your location by the sound of your voice, due to stereo hearing.

Using "on your right" can overload and confuse some people, because they are trying to simultaneously process the surprise of the sound of your voice, the technical content of what was said, all while trying to ski.
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

What seems to get the attention of people I'm passing the best is to clank my pole together a few times. It always gets people attention when words sometimes don't.