Saturday 2/17/18

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Saturday 2/17/18

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Got out early to avoid the crowds. Started in Canyon and East Fall and Cascade both skied fast. Next up was Highline which despite being in the sun was still pretty solid. Went over to Bear where lines were reasonable at that time. We skied Skyburst down and that was skiing fast, Viper Pit had seen some snow making so soft snow to be found there. Guns going on lower Skyburst so some soft snow to be found there too. Part of OL had been groomed and some guns were going at the top of it so we decided to try it out and it was skiing nicely. We noticed snowmakers were starting to turn on guns further down so we skied the other runs (Bear Claw and Wildfire) in between doing laps on OL. It was definitely my ROTD. We left when the lines got way too long. Cruise Control and Panic/Needles we’re not great with a lot of chunky monkey to be found. Nothing else at Needles was open. Bittersweet had some soft snow but too many people on it. Same with Skylark. Superstar skied fine before lunch - Preston Pitch in the middle was showing some icy spots. Middle Ovation had been groomed nicely. Was disappointed to find lower Ovation closed even though guns were going on it so had to ski lower Superstar again but this time I avoided the middle and skied skiers left. After lunch went back to Canyon because someone told me that guns were going on Cascade. The two lower guns were making very wet snow. Not sure why they want to make more wet snow in that section because that is the section that is usually very icy. Middle Downdraft was still skiing nicely probably because it had not seen much traffic. East Fall and Highline were both more icy when I skied them in the afternoon. Noticed after I took my boots off that lower Ovation must have opened because I saw people skiing it. I bet it must have been good with all that fresh made snow.
Woodsrider
Slalom Racer

Re: Saturday 2/17/18

Post by Woodsrider »

People were skiing lower O all day, but it never did open. Probably was great.
f.a.s.t.
Wanted Poster

Post by f.a.s.t. »

I finally made it to K for the first time this year on Saturday. I started at Bear at 8am and did laps on Bear Mountain and off the Sky Peak Express. It was real nice and sunny, no wind, temps in the high teens/low twenties and the skiing on the groomers was really good and held up well all morning. The lines weren't bad either. I did one run down Cruise Control, but it wasn't as good as the other runs over on that side. They started to turn the guns on OL once the lifts started to turn, so it got better and better as the day went on. I left for the other side around 11 am and took K1 up to the Peak Lodge for lunch . I think the Peak Bar is the best bar in Vermont and also the best mountain top lodge in all of New England. That bartender Katie goes 100 miles an hour and her hands never stop moving making those Bloody Mary drinks. After lunch I skied down Cascade which I really liked a lot and then started skiing the Canyon runs. I found Double Dipper to be race course ready-no injection needed-hard-fast-fun. East Fall was a lot of fun too. I did one ride up the Snowdon Quad but didn't like the conditions over there as much. I had been eyeing up the snow making on Lower Ovation knowing that it would be really good under the guns. I made it over there around 1 pm and found Upper Ovation was real smooth and fast, only to be totally disappointed to see Lower Ovation was roped off. I lapped Upper Ovation-Lower Superstar a few times. Skier's left on Superstar was pretty good, the middle was treacherous and dangerous with yahoos. The moguls on the far right were some of the funkiest bumps I've ever skied. I headed back to Bear and did a few more runs including Outer Limits that now had typical Saturday Snow Making day bumps top to bottom that were real fun, but my legs started to give out and I had to stop just before 3 pm.

I bought a pair of Salomon QXT 92 skis in September for powder, deep-heavy snow, trees, bumps, etc. The were in my office with my other skis and I've
been looking at them every day waiting for a big dump. I got tired of looking at them and never skiing them so I took finally skied them Saturday. All of the reviews said they are easy to turn, and they were right. They are the shortest, softest, widest and lightest ski I ever owned; so maybe that's why they are easy to turn. I was pleasantly surprised too that they didn't chatter much and no vibration under foot either on runs like Double Dipper-East Fall-Superstar. It was real nice to have new skis on those hard surfaces too.
Attachments
SAM_5430.JPG
SAM_5430.JPG (415.75 KiB) Viewed 303 times
!!!!!!!!!! MAKE AMERICA LOVE AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Sounds like we were on OL around the same time. So glad you had a great time here. Unfortunately we did not meet. I think we need to restart the 10 AM meetings so we can meet more people that post here.
f.a.s.t.
Wanted Poster

Post by f.a.s.t. »

tyrolean_skier wrote:Sounds like we were on OL around the same time. So glad you had a great time here. Unfortunately we did not meet. I think we need to restart the 10 AM meetings so we can meet more people that post here.
I still have four days left on my Max Pass for both K and Pico. Will meet up with everyone someday, maybe the Mogul Challenge this year.
!!!!!!!!!! MAKE AMERICA LOVE AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!