Sunday 2/18/18 report

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Sunday 2/18/18 report

Post by tyrolean_skier »

I am surprised nobody made a report yet. I know skiadikt and GIS were both out skiing today. We got 5-6 inches of snow last night and that helped soften things up. The new snow on trails that had previously been groomed were great if you were one of the first to ski them. Once the new snow was broken up you did find some ice in some places. The naturals did have some crunchiness underneath.
Lower Ovation skied very nicely with the new snow on top of the man-made snow. OL did not ski as well as yesterday because between moguls there was a lot of ice to contend with. Some trees skied better than others. I did get a core shot on one of those runs - powder was covering a rock. Skied from 8-4 and am quite tired now.
RustyK
Whipping Post

Re: Sunday 2/18/18 report

Post by RustyK »

Good day. Better than Saturday anyways. New snow means the trees are back.

Headed right over to snowdon for tree laps with Skiergirl and MtnMan. Ran into Boozetan and Knuckledragger and they joined us.

Pow was good on lower elevation tress if you were light on your feet. Captain crunch underneath.

Headed over to Powerline for a couple with the crew. Then over to Bear with some reserved on the way there.

Met up with Tricks, Ty and the Albany others. Crowds were plentiful on great eastern. Geez.

Woods around Needles were untouched. Vertigo not a go.

Ovation after lunch not bad. Ended up doing Low Rider laps to the end of our day.

Great MtnMan reunion.
Where is Happy Hour ?
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

this is why no one should ever go to the place where no one should ever go...

HUGE mid day lines at the upper mtn high speed quad...( pic taken 1pm sunday)

snow all scraped off the trails by 10am ( last run pic taken 4pm sunday)

just an absolutely terrible day at an absolutely terrible place where once again, no one should ever go...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Guy in Shorts »

Snowy foggy start with a half foot of perfect Eastern Powder returning the mountain to full Winter mode. Stayed ahead of the crowd for the first few precious hours of powder skiing. Diced up the Canyon soft cover followed by the ROTD on Lower Ovation. New snow over the fresh manmade had our best steep skiing easy-peasy. Bear trails were getting loaded so we headed for the creek. Line at the Skyeship base was 6-7 minutes long as the holiday crowd was pouring in. For the second day in a row the number of skiers on Upper Bittersweet was way beyond my ability to process. Everyone was in control but human mass on the trail was just staggering. Found safety on the olde Bittersweet Headwall. Getting across the skier traffic in front of the KBL reminded me of the video game frogger. Stopped for a bay 1 tailgate in the sunshine. Lapped the Slowdon Quad for the afternoon hanging in the trees. Finished with a Field of Dreams-Upper Conclusion-Trap-Lower Mouse with as much powder being harvested as a start of the day run.

Grade A-

Quote of the Day - Amazing that we could ski all day and barely stand in a lift line.
Attachments
Bittersweet.jpg
Bittersweet.jpg (73.54 KiB) Viewed 552 times
East Fall2.jpg
East Fall2.jpg (38.04 KiB) Viewed 552 times
Field Of Dreams.jpg
Field Of Dreams.jpg (97.01 KiB) Viewed 552 times
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

SnoBowl was nearly fully operational yesterday. :like
Their wooded runs had enuf to provide quiet turns.
Bailey Falls featured a mini snow cone .. natural variety :lol:
Lifts didn't malfunction a single time. (a rarity)

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

damn was it crowded. when we left (parked at bear), skyeship base parking was totally full w folks parked on rt 4. having said that, avoided most lines though when we came back on trail, skier density was way above my comfort level. the new snow saved the day. btw the dreaded vertigo skied very well early.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
spanky
Site Admin

Post by spanky »

Just spent the last 4 days at Sugarbush. One thing I noticed is their lift lines tend to be huudge but the trails never really feel crowded.

Now, they just have to work out the kinks with the RFID system (mostly user error). It sucks to see 5, 6, 7 consecutive empty chairs go up the line because someone had trouble scanning at the RFID gates.

Speaking of kinks, the RFID scanners are too high for many little kids... a few times, I saw someone pick up a kid to get him/her scanned.
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, then overwhelm you with their experience.

"I have noticed that when you post, you often say more about yourself than the topic you chose to speak about." -The Suit