wednesday 2/21/2018

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

skiadikt
Level 10K poster

wednesday 2/21/2018

Post by skiadikt »

surveying the scene this morning, felt like raymond burr in godzilla watching tokyo burn to the ground. the devastation on the hill is widespread. certainly another big challenge for mtn opps. as for the skiing … lift delays for grooming caused some broken field scrambling at the open. snowshed was first to open at 9. once things settled, spent most of the day at bear which had the best skiing with softening conditions. rotd was ol which garnered a couple repeats. also doubled down on vertigo which moose if you think that's "bumped up" below the crossover then clearly you hadn't skied it before the ice cone excavation. there is a nice line remaining lower skier's left. east fall & skye lark skied well. other than efall nothing else open in the canyon with the north ridge closed as well. upper skye burst & cruise in particular are messes. patrol's gonna need lots of bamboo. after a beautiful sunny day, dark clouds & r*in sent us home around 3. all-in-all a very good day.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
DES
Slalom Racer

Re: wednesday 2/21/2018

Post by DES »

Delay at Cannon also, no lifts til 9:00, but right at starting bell everything off the Zoomer lift was creamy soft, even the non-groomed sections. Was beautiful weather and didn't darken and r*in until after 3:30...no crowd even though it was $25 for NH residents (but I didn't bother going sideways to Mittersill, so don't know if that was crowded). Fun Spring Day, looking forward to more of them in May/June.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

skiadikt wrote:surveying the scene this morning, felt like raymond burr in godzilla watching tokyo burn to the ground. the devastation on the hill is widespread. certainly another big challenge for mtn opps. as for the skiing … lift delays for grooming caused some broken field scrambling at the open. snowshed was first to open at 9. once things settled, spent most of the day at bear which had the best skiing with softening conditions. rotd was ol which garnered a couple repeats. also doubled down on vertigo which moose if you think that's "bumped up" below the crossover then clearly you hadn't skied it before the ice cone excavation. there is a nice line remaining lower skier's left. east fall & skye lark skied well. other than efall nothing else open in the canyon with the north ridge closed as well. upper skye burst & cruise in particular are messes. patrol's gonna need lots of bamboo. after a beautiful sunny day, dark clouds & r*in sent us home around 3. all-in-all a very good day.
Raymond Burr??? Did he even ever do anything in color?

Yes, OL was fairly good, weird-ish lines and the snow actually had, like, you know, particles. As opposed to the rest of the mountain. Skylark was boring, Superstar was decent in places on the spine, and the entire Canyon was closed. I guess you had to get to East Fall via Ladies Tee, because upper East Fall and Rime had ropes. Highline was a jigsaw puzzle. The KBL schlep is about to become the KBL gravel pathway. Mooncrust, brook breakouts, and crevasses are everywhere. There is so much grey ice the conditions report is going to have to use the term "clear powder".

They've got marginal temps as far as the eye can see, and they are going to be limited on how many guns they can run on the few hours that are cold enough. They are holding a very bad hand, and the only comfort is everyone else is too.
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

2 weeks ago tonite is a distant memory now :-o
The high water content of the overall snowpack was evident today.
It came out from all angles and with the exposed ground undergoing a thaw, gushes and organic soup were prevalent.
Great Eastern (launchpad) at Julio corner was a 100' long ice flow, full trail, with 3 streams running over it. Gnarly.
OL had some redeeming quality although middle Superstar was the best surface we found.

Hey .. Every day is just one day :wink:

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Nothing to add to what Skiadikt said since I was skiing with him. I did one more run than him on OL and also sampled the Vertigo headwall which had softened up so was easy to ski. We lost a lot of terrain especially in the natural trails section. We need Mother Nature to bring a big storm to refill the naturals and the woods.
Humpty Dumpty
Post Office

Post by Humpty Dumpty »

tyrolean_skier wrote:Nothing to add to what Skiadikt said since I was skiing with him. I did one more run than him on OL and also sampled the Vertigo headwall which had softened up so was easy to ski. We lost a lot of terrain especially in the natural trails section. We need Mother Nature to bring a big storm to refill the naturals and the woods.
sampled: check
headwall: check
enjoyed: no check

This is only a two thirds standard report.
Captain Hafski
Poster Child Poster

Post by Captain Hafski »

Greetings from St. Anton. Great day today if u knew where to go.

We arrived Sunday afternoon expecting epic conditions yet learned it had r*ined "half way" up the day before, which had not been forecast. So, from 1300M to 2000M is icy and from there to 2650M gets better as u go up. 4 to 6 inches new snow Tuesday night made for great [not the best we have ever seen] skiing Wednesday and looks like we got a bit more last night as we get ready to head out today.

The main issue with the r*in is that it takes a lot of our favorite off piste valley runs off the table due to the lower elevation conditions.

ROTD: Alpe-Rauz run off the Valfagerbahn lift. Very nice just off the pisted trail with 6 or so inches of fresh and very low skier / acreage ratio. Very different ratio on the trail !

Several good runs on top half of the Galzig off the Tanzboden and Osthang lifts. Then over to Zurs where we found even better conditions as expected. Found a bit of steep north facing knee deep off Trittkopf and slightly less deep in our secret stash [shows as a beginner run on the trail map] off the Seekopfbahn lift. Long run off the Muggengratbahn down Zurzer-Tali quite good starting down a steep exposed chute I had only skied one time before.

Apres-ski at the Heustadtl, with amazing German rock band and plenty of beer and schnapps was the icing on the cake.

Headwalls abound everywhere yet nothing to match the Vertigo ice cone yet.

Hoping the K rebounds quickly.

CH and P
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

ozzy's FB video of the new water feature

https://www.facebook.com/jonathan.celau ... 807917070/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
DES
Slalom Racer

Post by DES »

Valfagerbahn, Galzig, Valfagerbahn, Tanzboden, Seekopfbahn, Muggengratbahn??? It would take me forever to get down the slopes because I'd be stopping to read every trail sign out loud, just for the laugh!
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

madhatter wrote:ozzy's FB video of the new water feature

https://www.facebook.com/jonathan.celau ... 807917070/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I don't know how they got rid of it but today it was gone.