Powerline Explosion On North Ridge

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

breckkidd
Beginner On Rentals

Powerline Explosion On North Ridge

Post by breckkidd »

That was pretty nuts, anyone else enjoy the hike down?
“There’s no such thing as bad snow, just bad skiers”
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Re: Powerline Explosion On North Ridge

Post by Mister Moose »

All Lifts Are Closed For The Day
Saturday, Oct 27, due to a power outage.
What exploded, a transformer?
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

Mister Moose wrote:
K closed all lifts for the day.
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
breckkidd
Beginner On Rentals

Post by breckkidd »

Mister Moose wrote:
Yup, transformer about 100 feet from the base terminal, it was a sight to see
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

so people had to walk/ski down? no backup diesel power? with the new snow, i'm sure some of the kzone "criminals" had already been lapping ttb ...
spoiled South American skiin' whore
breckkidd
Beginner On Rentals

Post by breckkidd »

skiadikt wrote:so people had to walk/ski down? no backup diesel power? with the new snow, i'm sure some of the kzone "criminals" had already been lapping ttb ...
Didn’t wait around long enough to see if they could get the lift going again, most of us just skied/hiked down
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

skiadikt wrote:so people had to walk/ski down? no backup diesel power? with the new snow, i'm sure some of the kzone "criminals" had already been lapping ttb ...

I was at the peak when the power went out along with Mr. & Mrs.G, Spyderman and Shortski. They ran the gondola on auxiliary power to get us down. Definitely was planning to ski down to the bottom if the gondola was no longer running. However, I probably would have ruined my skis doing that.
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

Fuse blew when the wind blew lines together and they arced. They were unloading the lift for this reason just before the explosion. So the chair was empty. Lines down on the ground in two spots. Telephone pole on fire. Diesel was up and running in 15 min. Took 45 min to get back down to car via stairs and download. K1 on diesel too. Looked ugly. May not be fixed for tomorrow.
ImageImageImageImage
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Stormchaser wrote: Telephone pole on fire... Looked ugly. May not be fixed for tomorrow.
Ya think? That pole isn't getting used again... There's been higher winds than this and it didn't happen... more to this story.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

no one took a picture?
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
breckkidd
Beginner On Rentals

Post by breckkidd »

Stormchaser wrote:Fuse blew when the wind blew lines together and they arced. They were unloading the lift for this reason just before the explosion. So the chair was empty. Lines down on the ground in two spots. Telephone pole on fire. Diesel was up and running in 15 min. Took 45 min to get back down to car via stairs and download. K1 on diesel too. Looked ugly. May not be fixed for tomorrow.
I was out of there before the pole caught, assuming the pole is toast?
Powderputz
Bumper

Post by Powderputz »

Gee, did anyone get a video? That'd have proven interesting to watch....
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

Happened when I was in line, but couldn’t see much through the trees besides the big blue light show that lasted half a second. The hot wires, glowing red, were starting a small fire at the top of the pole, but I noticed as I rode by on the chair and didn’t get my phone out in time to snap a pic.
ImageImageImageImage
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

tyrolean_skier wrote:

I was at the peak when the power went out along with Mr. & Mrs.G, Spyderman and Shortski. They ran the gondola on auxiliary power to get us down. Definitely was planning to ski down to the bottom if the gondola was no longer running. However, I probably would have ruined my skis doing that.
that's never stopped you in the past :lol:
spoiled South American skiin' whore
da Pimp
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by da Pimp »

No transformer issue, just broken cables that fell between two poles. Right where a cable was connected to the pole there was some sparking and a tiny bit of flames, not on the pole but the end of the broken cable. Don't think anything else was involved based on what I saw right over my head and what I heard from someone qualified.

It all depends on when the power company can get the right skillset up the poles to restring the cables. In the crappy weather, no less.

I waited a total of 30 minutes from the start of the event, rode back up the triple on diesel power, back down the K1 on normal speed since it runs normal on diesel. Windy on the hill but the K1 and triple were not rocking very much.

On a street - could be fixed easily and quickly. On a mountain in the snow & wind - safety is a huge factor and you can't bring up a cherry picker to access the poles since they are on a hillside and too far from the flats.

The only good news is that there is a fair amount of time to get it done by 8 or 9am. Stay tuned to Killington, if it is possible they will do it.

Meanwhile - they skiing was great, got better by the hour, no crowds, got in 21 runs by 1:15. Nice lines on the side.