What book are you currently reading?

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Woodsrider
Slalom Racer

Re: What book are you currently reading?

Post by Woodsrider »

The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch. It was a gift from my Mother who said it reminded her of me. After I got through the first couple of chapters I was troubled by this. So I put it down and read Make Me by Lee Child. Nothing like a little Jack Reacher to put you back in the right mind set. Oddly I now understand what she meant and I'm grateful.
Dickc
Postaholic

Post by Dickc »

I finished the Roosevelt book and have now started

Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Dickc wrote:I finished the Roosevelt book and have now started

If you're interested in LBJ, try the multi-volume bio by Robert Caro. Great reading and it gives tremendous insight into the man.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
snowmoose
Beginner On Rentals

Post by snowmoose »

dangerous.. very good. got it on amazon last week. :yawn
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

The House of Seven Gables was a good read. It was about a judge who was involved in the Salem witch trials and he takes the land to build the house from someone he accuses of witchcraft. The first day he moves into the house he is murdered by a relative of the accused warlock or ... It was written when time moved at a slower pace and so does the book in a relaxing way.

I had to put Tiger to sleep two weeks ago. The good news is he really only had a few bad hours. He lost the use of his hind legs on a Sunday evening and I stayed up with him until the next morning when we took him to the Vet.

Life is too short to go without a dog for very long. So the following Saturday I went to the Concord SPCA and got Tilly. We were told Tilly is a Dachshund / Beagle mix, butt the Vet says Jack Russell Terrier / Beagle. She hunts 24 /7.
Tilly.jpg
Tilly.jpg (231.42 KiB) Viewed 848 times
Tilly2.jpg
Tilly2.jpg (269.77 KiB) Viewed 848 times
I Belong A Long Way From Here.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Finished Amy Schumer's Girl With the Lower Back Tattoo and now reading The Undoing Project by Michael Lewis.

Freeski, sorry about your loss. We're still getting over losing Jazzy in early February and debating whether to eventually get another pooch. With both of us now retired, the ability to travel freely is important and having a dog adds a complication.

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

Bubba wrote:Finished Amy Schumer's Girl With the Lower Back Tattoo and now reading The Undoing Project by Michael Lewis.

Freeski, sorry about your loss. We're still getting over losing Jazzy in early February and debating whether to eventually get another pooch. With both of us now retired, the ability to travel freely is important and having a dog adds a complication.
Thank you. I was planning a trip to OR and Tenn with no dog. Now they are put on permanent hold. Dogs are a cost effective form of entertainment and so much more...
I Belong A Long Way From Here.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Bubba wrote:Finished Amy Schumer's Girl With the Lower Back Tattoo and now reading The Undoing Project by Michael Lewis.

"The Undoing Project " is quite the good read for anyone interested in how people make decisions in uncertainty. For example, economists for years believed that markets are rational and that people made investment decisions based on rational thinking. The subjects of this book, written by Michael Lewis, showed otherwise - that there are emotional components to the decision process and one of them, a psychologist, won the Nobel Prize in Economics for his work. His partner would have won as well but had died years before the award.

Now onto "Born to Run", Bruce Springsteen's autobiography.

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

F. Scott Fitzgerald

Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Guy in Shorts »

Finished reading Merle's Door - Lessons from a free thinking dog. By Ted Kerasote. One of the best dog books that I have ever read.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
TheRat
Blue Chatterbox

Post by TheRat »

Just finished The Upstarts. It tells the story of how Uber and Airbnb got started and developed into the billion dollar entities that they are today. Fascinating and sheds light on current issues with both.
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

About halfway through Unthinkable. The story of Scott Rigsby (the first double amputee to complete the Ironman triathlon). Decent read so far...

http://www.ebooks.com/766651/unthinkabl ... S&src=feed" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Don't Killington Pico
Dickc
Postaholic

Post by Dickc »

Just finished "His Excellency, George Washington"

Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Just finished "Shattered", an inside story of Hillary's doomed campaign. Lots of good info and insight about the disfunction of her organization. Whether you supported her or hated her, you'll enjoy the book and there will be lots to hang your hat on either way. Now on to "Fear", Bob Woodward's book on Trump in the White House.

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

F. Scott Fitzgerald

XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Just finished Into Thin Air. An incredible account about the disaster on Everest.
skidogg
Poster Child Poster

Post by skidogg »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:Just finished Into Thin Air. An incredible account about the disaster on Everest.
can't agree enough great read
fast is cool.
Faster is cooler. bring back the dis