What book are you currently reading?

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

freeski
Post Office

Re: What book are you currently reading?

Post by freeski »

Here's a picture of my dog Tiger hiking a couple of weeks ago. The Thursday before last I found a lump on him looking for ticks. Took him to the doctor the next day. Then went to a Vet oncologist and he has cancer and it's spread. He has a month or two to live. He's a smart dog. If you call to have food delivered and say "I'd like to place a delivery..." he goes nuts. He's been a great friend.
Tiger.jpg
Tiger.jpg (313.13 KiB) Viewed 835 times
No book right now.
I Belong A Long Way From Here.
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

freeski wrote:Here's a picture of my dog Tiger hiking a couple of weeks ago. The Thursday before last I found a lump on him looking for ticks. Took him to the doctor the next day. Then went to a Vet oncologist and he has cancer and it's spread. He has a month or two to live. He's a smart dog. If you call to have food delivered and say "I'd like to place a delivery..." he goes nuts. He's been a great friend.
Tiger.jpg
No book right now.
Sorry to hear about your dog. Enjoy him in the time he has left.
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Been trying to finish reading the back issues of a magazine I am subscribed to and that I could not keep up with. I did start Dale Brown's "Nerve Center" a while back so eventually I will get back to it.
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

:Toast Power to Tiger and Freeski :Toast

Right Reason
William F Buckley
Forever .. Goat Path
f.a.s.t.
Wanted Poster

Post by f.a.s.t. »

Very sorry Freeski.

Cache Lake Country by John Rowlands. About living off the grid in Northern Quebec in the 1940's.
!!!!!!!!!! MAKE AMERICA LOVE AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

Reading The House of Seven Gables - Hawthorne. Last read it 20 years ago. I'm going to read it slowly and try to dig deep. Hawthorne knows a lot of words. No one writes like him today.

Thanks for the Tiger well wishes.
Tiger7.jpg
Tiger7.jpg (170.23 KiB) Viewed 774 times
lifeisgood
Bumper

Post by lifeisgood »

Just finished this book (last night): Not sure what I'm going to start next...
Attachments
lg-nypdRed.jpg
lg-nypdRed.jpg (21.43 KiB) Viewed 762 times
Do what you like.
Like what you do.
Dickc
Postaholic

Post by Dickc »

Just finished "The Lost Airman" Image

And am now partway into Steven King's "End of Watch".
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

lifeisgood wrote:Just finished this book (last night): Not sure what I'm going to start next...
Did you enjoyed? I have it on my shelf so will read it in the future.
f.a.s.t.
Wanted Poster

Post by f.a.s.t. »

freeski wrote:Reading The House of Seven Gables - Hawthorne. Last read it 20 years ago. I'm going to read it slowly and try to dig deep. Hawthorne knows a lot of words. No one writes like him today.

Thanks for the Tiger well wishes.
Tiger7.jpg
Did you ever read Hawthorne's The Wayside about the house he bought from the Alcott's? It's on Battle Road in Minute Man National Park in Concord, MA and it still operates as an Inn. Longfellow wrote about it too?
!!!!!!!!!! MAKE AMERICA LOVE AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!
lifeisgood
Bumper

Post by lifeisgood »

tyrolean_skier wrote:
lifeisgood wrote:Just finished this book (last night): Not sure what I'm going to start next...
Did you enjoyed? I have it on my shelf so will read it in the future.
Yes, very much. Typical James Patterson novel - a fast paced and quick read.
Do what you like.
Like what you do.
GnarDawg
Green Skidder

Post by GnarDawg »

I just finished 2 books I would recommend:

Shoe Dog :like
I Am Pilgrim (this one is going to a be a great movie) :like
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

f.a.s.t. wrote:
freeski wrote:
Did you ever read Hawthorne's The Wayside about the house he bought from the Alcott's? It's on Battle Road in Minute Man National Park in Concord, MA and it still operates as an Inn. Longfellow wrote about it too?
I think that's part of Tanglewood Tales? No, I haven't read it. I do have it though. I'll check it out. I've never been down to Concord, MA. Something I've planned on doing for too long. I'd think you could make a day of checking out all the old author's haunts.
killyfan
Blue Chatterbox

Post by killyfan »

freeski wrote:Here's a picture of my dog Tiger hiking a couple of weeks ago. The Thursday before last I found a lump on him looking for ticks. Took him to the doctor the next day. Then went to a Vet oncologist and he has cancer and it's spread. He has a month or two to live. He's a smart dog. If you call to have food delivered and say "I'd like to place a delivery..." he goes nuts. He's been a great friend.
The attachment Tiger.jpg is no longer available
No book right now.
Oh - that sucks for you. I used to manage a vet hospital on Long Island that had a great oncologist. We did a lot of counseling for terminal patients' owners. I did finally come to realize that our pets accept our love, and give comfort back to us unconditionally. They almost always die before we do - which is the really hard part. All we can do to comfort ourselves when they have passed is to remind ourselves that they appreciated everything we do for them, and when the time comes to go, that they will very clearly let us know when to help them over the Rainbow Bridge.

Our last dog was the hardest, because he wasn't suffering from a terminal illness, he had degenerative back disease that made his life miserable. As a large breed dog, we did the most that we could for him until my back started to suffer from lifting him and getting him outside, and the pain meds were causing horrid physical reactions for him. Then we had to make the decision let him go. It was killer. But in the end we knew it was the right thing for both him and for us.

Please tell Tiger that you love him every day - give him a big smooch from his dog loving friends and feed him a lot of decadent food for the next months. You do know in your heart that you were an amazing dog parent, and that he had the best life any dog could ever hope for.

Here is my last bud - he was incredible.
Attachments
IMG_0011.jpg
IMG_0011.jpg (432.81 KiB) Viewed 648 times
In a world where you can be anything, why not choose to be kind...
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

That's a very fluffy dog. I read somewhere (wish I could credit and quote) that when you get a puppy they are like child like- youth, curious no fear. Then they grow up fast and eventually pass you in maturity. When they are old the dog looks at you like an old wise person looks at a younger one.