We Will Get By, We Will Survive!!!!

Post by St. Jerry »

A moment of silence please. :cry:
Ron Paul 2012
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

10 years already, hard to believe.
Last edited by KingsFourMan on Aug 9th, '05, 06:49, edited 1 time in total.
Don't fly Mr. Bluebird, I'm just walking down the road......
Bling Skier
Postinator

Re: We Will Get By, We Will Survive!!!!

Post by Bling Skier »

St. Jerry wrote:A moment of silence please. :cry:
what jerrys dead?
When that happen?
Geoff the sound a cat make as it coughs up a hairball.
DMC Freeride
Tree Psycho

Post by DMC Freeride »

Yup - 10 years... Very different world now - as far as that type of music goes..
Psyched to sit down behind a drumset tonight and play some Dead in his honor...

<b>Shortski - Nazi douchebag..... Moderator and asswipe - if I you can't ignore an asshole like Shortski - who happens to be a moderator then this board is total sh*t...</b>
Jodi
Black Carver

Post by Jodi »

Sad day indeed. 10 years already.

The storyteller makes no choice
Soon you will not hear his voice
His job is to shed light
Not to master
Abraham and Isaac
sitting on a fence
You'd get right to work
if you had any sense
Y'know the one thing we need
is a left-hand monkey wrench
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

CNBC is using GD music as transition music on Squawk Box this morning. Bet they and other cable news stations will be doing stuff like that all day. Jerry's influence pervades everything.

I was talking to my old neighbors in NY the other day who are 75 & 80 years old and they couldn't understand why people were so touched by Jerry's death and are, even 10 year later, taking note of it. They were trying to relate this to musical heroes of their time and the only one they could think of who might have gotten this kind of adulation had he died young was Sinatra. Glen Miller, other big band folks, other singers of that age, etc? Never.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
DMC Freeride
Tree Psycho

Post by DMC Freeride »

Glen Miller died young... Pretty sure he was only 40 when he died.
<b>Shortski - Nazi douchebag..... Moderator and asswipe - if I you can't ignore an asshole like Shortski - who happens to be a moderator then this board is total sh*t...</b>
Jodi
Black Carver

Post by Jodi »

Bubba wrote:CNBC is using GD music as transition music on Squawk Box this morning. Bet they and other cable news stations will be doing stuff like that all day. Jerry's influence pervades everything.

I was talking to my old neighbors in NY the other day who are 75 & 80 years old and they couldn't understand why people were so touched by Jerry's death and are, even 10 year later, taking note of it. They were trying to relate this to musical heroes of their time and the only one they could think of who might have gotten this kind of adulation had he died young was Sinatra. Glen Miller, other big band folks, other singers of that age, etc? Never.
Never
Abraham and Isaac
sitting on a fence
You'd get right to work
if you had any sense
SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

Jodi wrote:
Bubba wrote:CNBC is using GD music as transition music on Squawk Box this morning. Bet they and other cable news stations will be doing stuff like that all day. Jerry's influence pervades everything.

Never
What about Elvis?
Wait Till Next Year!!! Image

Iceman 10/11 Season

ImageImageImage
Jodi
Black Carver

Post by Jodi »

SkiDork wrote:
Jodi wrote:

Never
What about Elvis?
Elvis was cool, but he was no Jerry.
Abraham and Isaac
sitting on a fence
You'd get right to work
if you had any sense
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

SkiDork wrote:
Jodi wrote:

Never
What about Elvis?
Elvis was definitely not a musical hero to people who, today, are in their 70s. To many in that age bracket, Elvis was the antichrist back in the 1950s. :lol:
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
DMC Freeride
Tree Psycho

Post by DMC Freeride »

As far as muicians being snuffed out WAY before their time.
I'd say Buddy Holly was one of the biggest losses to rock and roll.. I listen to his stuff all the time - I'm a huge fan...

Also Hendrix... Could you imagine the sh*t he'd be doing now??!?!?!
Boggles the mind...
SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

Bubba wrote:
SkiDork wrote:
Jodi wrote:

Never
What about Elvis?
Elvis was definitely not a musical hero to people who, today, are in their 70s. To many in that age bracket, Elvis was the antichrist back in the 1950s. :lol:
But in your original post you said that your 70's neighbors COULD NOT understand why people were touched by his death. So I see no difference in your argument.

When Elvis died, there were tons of people who were touched, the same as Jerry. Still to this day Elvis has a HUGE following, just like Jerry.

So whats the difference?
Wait Till Next Year!!! Image

Iceman 10/11 Season

ImageImageImage
St. Jerry
Powderhound

Post by St. Jerry »

I still listen to an average of 3+ hours of GD per day (almost every day). I work in investment banking and spend a lot of time building financial models, which can be increadibly tedious. If I was not able to listen to the music while at work (on my headphones), I would not be able to do this job. In the last 6 months, I have made my way through Summer 1989, Fall 1989, and Spring 1990 tours (not bad, since they compensate me quite well here).
Ron Paul 2012
DMC Freeride
Tree Psycho

Post by DMC Freeride »

SkiDork wrote:
Bubba wrote:
SkiDork wrote:
Jodi wrote:

Never
What about Elvis?
But in your original post you said that your 70's neighbors COULD NOT understand why people were touched by his death. So I see no difference in your argument.

When Elvis died, there were tons of people who were touched, the same as Jerry. Still to this day Elvis has a HUGE following, just like Jerry.

So whats the difference?
I think he was more referring to pop music that was pre-Rock and Roll.
Case they are in their 80's