Advice for returning Killington skier - black trail advice

General Questions about Killington and the Killington Area

BJB
Beginner On Rentals

Advice for returning Killington skier - black trail advice

Post by BJB »

Greetings. New to the board but used to ski Killington quite a bit and now are coming back in a few months. However I see some trail names have changed and I have done all the research I can on that doing searches on the board. And printed out an old and new map.

But I thought I would post just to try to refresh my memories on some of the more challenging trails. In the day I would ski most anything there and love it. However I am bringing someone that is a pretty aggressive skier, however they have not seen many “big hills”. As a point of reference they can ski all the blacks at Holiday Valley in NY, which of course I totally understand is not the same as some blacks at K but gives a point of reference.

So the question is, what black hills/trails would you keep them off of? I remember Outer Limits and don’t think we’ll do that (although that was a great hill to learn bumps on!:), the one cliff under the chairs, a few of those are obvious. But if you could give me a short list of some of the blacks that might be too challenging for someone like that I would appreciate it. Some hills like vertigo/head wall weren’t around (or weren’t named that as I reacall) but sound exciting. I can see the 1 vs. 2 diamonds on the map, but as I recall, that does not always tell the whole story.

Now as to what might be nice black runs for someone at that level, I remember Wildfire being pretty easy for most, same with Ovation, and Superstar. Assume that has not changed? Any others? What would be the best run from Killington Peak down given their skill level?

I apologize if I missed an FAQ or post that has this. I looked around and did not see it.

Thanks a lot for any input. Looking forward to seeing the place again and am getting psyched just looking at the map! And also going a little crazy as I run into the new names! I need to cross-reference the old names to the new names on the new map.

Thanks,
BJB
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Re: Advice for returning Killington skier - black trail advi

Post by Dr. NO »

OL is good early if they groomed it and they do that too often. Get them used to the steep. Places to avoid? Woods especially off Launch Pad or at Bear. Ovation top and bottom not a great idea for small mountain skiers off the bat. Upper Vertigo also not a good idea. It has been known to avalanche at times. Probably others but those are what I can think of.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
BJB
Beginner On Rentals

Post by BJB »

Dr. NO wrote:OL is good early if they groomed it and they do that too often. Get them used to the steep. Places to avoid? Woods especially off Launch Pad or at Bear. Ovation top and bottom not a great idea for small mountain skiers off the bat. Upper Vertigo also not a good idea. It has been known to avalanche at times. Probably others but those are what I can think of.
Thanks for info on trails to stay away from. I am going through the old and new maps and memory cells figuring out some runs to get them going. Hopefully I get them up to speed pretty quick and skiing some old favorites.

Thanks again, love the forum. Continuing to search and find old treasures.

BJB
boarderchick5000
Beginner On Rentals

Post by boarderchick5000 »

If you are a fan of Wildfire, you may also like the runs in the Canyon area. They are usually groomed, but fast and can slick/icy. Check out Cascade (you can skip the head wall though), East Fall, and Double Dipper. Also, if the snow is good, I'd check out Ridge Run (formally West Glade) and Powerline off the North Ridge Triple. They are black rated because they are all natural trails without snow making and not often groom, but they have a mellow pitch.

Since you say your friend is an aggressive skier, for good trees practice, check out the trees on Ramshead: Twister and Squeeze Play as they are both good place to learn treat skiing - not steep and a little more open than some others.

Hope that helps!