Looking for a used pair of race skis - 150 cm max . . .

Buying or Selling Gear, Post Information Here
MrsG
Whipping Post

Looking for a used pair of race skis - 150 cm max . . .

Post by MrsG »

Bought a pair of GS Atomic race skis from GreenMtMan several years ago, and they've done me well - except, the tails split this season, so I'm in the market for another pair.

Any suggestions where I might look would be helpful too. I did stop at Peak Performance, and they had a pair of Fischer WC, but need to talk to Doc first :wink:

Thanks for any help you can offer!
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Re: Looking for a used pair of race skis - 150 cm max . . .

Post by Dr. NO »

Are the Atomic GS that short? I have a Fischer WC SL at 151 but it would turn way too quick for even a modified GS. Not sure you can find a WC GS or RS (recreational) that short.

That said, I like all my Fischer skis. The SL is fun so long as you don't push it too hard. The WC RS is rigid and holds on damn near anything, if I could just ski it right. I have 2 others that have held up well and given me a good ride. Only problem I see with Fischer is they tend to be a bit stiff so if you don't push them to go faster they may not get on edge for your turns. Unfortunately they don't demo Fischer race skis at Killington or that is what I was told. OH, and Fischer are HEAVY.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

Thanks Doc - title supposed to read 158 max - can an admin please fix :oops:
Dr. NO wrote:Are the Atomic GS that short? I have a Fischer WC SL at 151 but it would turn way too quick for even a modified GS. Not sure you can find a WC GS or RS (recreational) that short.

That said, I like all my Fischer skis. The SL is fun so long as you don't push it too hard. The WC RS is rigid and holds on damn near anything, if I could just ski it right. I have 2 others that have held up well and given me a good ride. Only problem I see with Fischer is they tend to be a bit stiff so if you don't push them to go faster they may not get on edge for your turns. Unfortunately they don't demo Fischer race skis at Killington or that is what I was told. OH, and Fischer are HEAVY.
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

I did read your conditions post earlier and wondering whether your tail de-lam involves an edge pull or simply the layers separating?

If it's just layers, should be relatively straightforward to clean and dry the layers, epoxy the crap out of it and clamp it for a few days.
Many tail delams are caused by jamming the tails of skis into hard snow, forcing the layers to weaken. I've glued my own back together B4.

Given the business climate, I can understand that a shop guy would tell you otherwise. Curious what shop you use?

Alternatively, Dr. No's 151's would likely work for Bum Race purposes.
Yes, Fischers may feel shovel heavy after what you've been using.

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
MrsG
Whipping Post

Re: Looking for a used pair of race skis - 158 cm max . . .

Post by MrsG »

brownman wrote:I did read your conditions post earlier and wondering whether your tail de-lam involves an edge pull or simply the layers separating?

If it's just layers, should be relatively straightforward to clean and dry the layers, epoxy the crap out of it and clamp it for a few days.
Many tail delams are caused by jamming the tails of skis into hard snow, forcing the layers to weaken. I've glued my own back together B4.

Given the business climate, I can understand that a shop guy would tell you otherwise. Curious what shop you use?

Alternatively, Dr. No's 151's would likely work for Bum Race purposes.
Yes, Fischers may feel shovel heavy after what you've been using.

:Toast
Thanks Brownman . . . the tail delam does not involve an "edge pull" . . . the layers are only separating. I defiinitely thought they could be epoxied and clamped - not an easy job in a condominium. . . maybe I'll ask at Peak since they specialize in race equipment - think they were originally bought and maintained there.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

what do you guys think is the MINIMUM turn radius that would work well on the bum course? looking to get some slalom skis to use there....
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

madhatter wrote:what do you guys think is the MINIMUM turn radius that would work well on the bum course? looking to get some slalom skis to use there....
SL is short and fails to carry speed in the course. Typical is 12 to 14 meter radius, modified GS is 16 to 22 radius. If you ski the SL right it will crank the turns and then leave you there waiting for the next turn. Go with a recreational GS, 16 to 22 meter.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

Thanks to DocNo for his expert opinion, and to madhatter for finding the 2013 version of the Atomic ski that split. Took the 2007/2008 ski to another ski shop and they agreed that the epoxy will not last, so went for the Ebay ski madhatter found - will be here Wednesday - guess I'll have to race on my fatties this Wednesday :mrgreen: