Taxes & the Peoples Republic of Vermont

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
Geoff
Whipping Post

Taxes & the Peoples Republic of Vermont

Post by Geoff »

I'm just reading through my Kmart property tax bill. I was pretty blown away by what I've just learned....

When they revised Act 60 to further gouge resort towns and vacation home owners, they created a statewide "Residential" property tax rate for primary residences and a statewide "Non-Residential" property tax rate for all other property. This includes vacation homes and commercial property. The "Non-Residential" rate for the school tax is 1.54%. The "Residential" rate is set at 1.05%. The kicker is that the residental rate has a "spending adjustment" applied to it if a town spends more per-student than a state-mandated cutoff. Killington pays huge per-student dollars for education with little control over it since they bus their older children to Woodstock and pay tuition to the Woodstock school system. The effective tax rate on residential property after the adjustment is higher than the commercial rate. By voting to spend more money for their school system, Killington residents are increasing their taxes without changing the tax rate on vacation homes or commercial property.

Vermont state income tax rates are also mind-blowing. Only Montana has a higher tax rate. California is similar to Vermont but they limit property tax to 1%.

3.6% > $0
7.2% > $28,400
8.5% > $68,800
9% > $143,500
9.5% > $311,950
shortski
Site Admin

Post by shortski »

Still haven't made the switch to Vt resident for the reasons you mentioned, plus don't forget to factor in the 6% sales tax, higher than Mass's 5%. The taxes on my home were lower than those of a Vt. resident for the same reason you stated. The hidden kicker is that buried in the revised act 60 is the caveat that if the commercial rate drops to below the residential rate it can be raised to the residential rate without any further action or vote by the legislature. They knew going in what was going to happen they just didn't want to face the music up front from all the businesses. Welcome to The Peoples Republic of Vermont, thanks DEAN
Cogito, ergo sum

Sometimes it is that simple.

ImageImage
SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

shortski wrote:Still haven't made the switch to Vt resident for the reasons you mentioned, plus don't forget to factor in the 6% sales tax, higher than Mass's 5%. The taxes on my home were lower than those of a Vt. resident for the same reason you stated. The hidden kicker is that buried in the revised act 60 is the caveat that if the commercial rate drops to below the residential rate it can be raised to the residential rate without any further action or vote by the legislature. They knew going in what was going to happen they just didn't want to face the music up front from all the businesses. Welcome to The Peoples Republic of Vermont, thanks DEAN
woo hooo!!!
Atomic1
Level 10K poster

Post by Atomic1 »

Proven Fact> where the Democrats are in control the Taxes are HIGH. TAXACHUSETTS say's it all.
Pedro
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Pedro »

Yeah taxes suck
Geoff
Whipping Post

Post by Geoff »

Atomic1 wrote:Proven Fact> where the Democrats are in control the Taxes are HIGH. TAXACHUSETTS say's it all.
Relative to other states, Massachusetts is no longer a particularly high tax state. Property taxes are limited. The flat ~5% personal income tax is low-average in the US. The sales tax isn't crazy-high. Massachusetts looks like a high tax state when you compare it to New Hampshire but it's low compared to the other northeastern states.
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Atomic1 wrote:Proven Fact> where the Democrats are in control the Taxes are HIGH. TAXACHUSETTS say's it all.
I live in NY and the governor is a Republican and our taxes are probably higher than Massachusetts.
Atomic1
Level 10K poster

Post by Atomic1 »

tyrolean_skier wrote:
I live in NY and the governor is a Republican and our taxes are probably higher than Massachusetts.
That being the exception,BUT N.Y.sales Tax is 4.25 while Mass is 5.0
N.Y. pers. Income Tax is 6.8 while Mass is 5.0
N.Y. Gas tax is 22.6 cents while Mass is 21.6
So these 2 are BOTH killers
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Atomic1 wrote:
tyrolean_skier wrote:
The sales tax in Nassau County is 8.5 and in NYC it is 8.25. Where do you get the 4.25.
Pedro
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Pedro »

Yeah and every other analogy points to NY haveing higher taxes.
Atomic1
Level 10K poster

Post by Atomic1 »

tyrolean_skier wrote:
Atomic1 wrote:
tyrolean_skier wrote:
The sales tax in Nassau County is 8.5 and in NYC it is 8.25. Where do you get the 4.25.
Figures off THE NET.and like I said N.Y is the exception.
Atomic1
Level 10K poster

Post by Atomic1 »

It also states the INCOME TAX in Mass. at 12%
While N.Y. at 7.5
DMC
Post Office

Post by DMC »

Atomic1 wrote:
tyrolean_skier wrote:
Atomic1 wrote:
tyrolean_skier wrote:
Figures off THE NET.and like I said N.Y is the exception.
Google strikes again.... The bane of our modern political system...
spanky
Site Admin

Post by spanky »

tyrolean_skier wrote:
Atomic1 wrote:
tyrolean_skier wrote:
The state sales tax rate is 4.25. The 8.5 and 8.25 for Nassau and NYC, respectively, are a sum of the state sales tax rate and local sales tax rate.

Let's not even start the conversation of real estate tax rates in Nassau County!
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, then overwhelm you with their experience.

"I have noticed that when you post, you often say more about yourself than the topic you chose to speak about." -The Suit
Geoff
Whipping Post

Post by Geoff »

Atomic1 wrote:It also states the INCOME TAX in Mass. at 12%
While N.Y. at 7.5
Nope. Mass taxes interest and dividends at 12% (since only wealthy people have interest and dividends). *cough*

The Mass income tax rate on wages is a little north of 5%.

Massachusetts used to be one of the big tax states in the country. Over the last 20 years, they've kept their tax rates constant while all the other states jacked theirs up.