Rathergate Again

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Rathergate Again

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

This just out...

"CBS ousts four executives after independent investigation into disputed National Guard memo story. Details soon."

E
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Pedro
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Pedro »

Any openings at CNN?
RJSVermont
Slalom Racer

Post by RJSVermont »

Yawn........so.....XJibb, how come no posts on Good Ole Dubya cutting down federal Pell grants for students. I seem to remember some college students asking him what he could do for them way back in the debate days. I don't however remember him saying he would cut 300 million dollars worth of aid for those College students. I know I received some really helpful Pell grant money in college. I would've personally kicked Dubya in the junk if they were taken away from me. Hmm........maybe his admin. should've looked elsewhere like the millions of dollars they give to religious affiliates for being just that, a religious affiliate. What was that about separation of church and state?

Also, what's this crap about our tax money paying for some sleazy journalist (Kind of like the ones behind the Dan Rather fiasco) to talk up the "No child left behind" BS the current admin shoved down our throats. Armstrong Williams I believe his name is, he sounds really legitimate to me (Can you say sellout?) What a waste of time and (our) money. Guess you missed the CNN articles on that one too bud.

No I'm not sore about the election. I think Kerry and Bush are both blubbering fools. I guess I'm just sick of some people and their pushy overbearing un-original opinions.

Homer Simpson for president.....'08

Doh
Some things just can't be bought......
Pedro

Post by Pedro »

RJSVermont wrote:Yawn........so.....XJibb, how come no posts on Good Ole Dubya cutting down federal Pell grants for students.

Doh
All of those kids are going to have to get jobs or join the army.....sh*t what is this world coming to. Fuking Republicans....Thats definately going to cut into weed and beer money.
RJSVermont
Slalom Racer

Post by RJSVermont »

Pedro wrote:
RJSVermont wrote:Yawn........so.....XJibb, how come no posts on Good Ole Dubya cutting down federal Pell grants for students.

Doh
All of those kids are going to have to get jobs or join the army.....sh*t what is this world coming to. Fuking Republicans....Thats definately going to cut into weed and beer money.
Pedro, everyone and their grandmother knows that weed and beer money comes from work study, not Federal Pell Grants.........
Pedro

Post by Pedro »

RJSVermont wrote:
Pedro wrote:

Doh
Pedro, everyone and their grandmother knows that weed and beer money comes from work study, not Federal Pell Grants.........

:D
RJSVermont
Slalom Racer

Post by RJSVermont »

"Sit down Rando"
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

RJSVermont wrote: Yawn........so.....XJibb, how come no posts on Good Ole Dubya cutting down federal Pell grants for students. I seem to remember some college students asking him what he could do for them way back in the debate days. I don't however remember him saying he would cut 300 million dollars worth of aid for those College students. I know I received some really helpful Pell grant money in college. I would've personally kicked Dubya in the junk if they were taken away from me.
Like pedro said....it's not a shame that I will have to work hard and find a good job to pay off my loans that I already have. My university is nearly $27,000 a year, I don't look for the government to support me through school. If you work hard enough, you'll get grants from schools/organizations, and even scholarships. I have never looked at anyone but myself to pay my loans. I know if I work hard...I'll get a good job and my $100K+ debt won't be much of a problem.
RJSVermont wrote: Hmm........maybe his admin. should've looked elsewhere like the millions of dollars they give to religious affiliates for being just that, a religious affiliate. What was that about separation of church and state?
Hm...not sure what this is about. I haven't heard anything either...could you post a link?
RJSVermont wrote: Also, what's this crap about our tax money paying for some sleazy journalist (Kind of like the ones behind the Dan Rather fiasco) to talk up the "No child left behind" BS the current admin shoved down our throats. Armstrong Williams I believe his name is, he sounds really legitimate to me (Can you say sellout?) What a waste of time and (our) money. Guess you missed the CNN articles on that one too bud.
While I think this is unethical....and I don't support it....this is somewhat interesting:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2005-01-06-williams-whitehouse_x.htm wrote:White House spokesman Trent Duffy said he couldn't comment because the White House is not involved in departments' contracts.
E 8)
RJSVermont
Slalom Racer

Post by RJSVermont »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
Like pedro said....it's not a shame that I will have to work hard and find a good job to pay off my loans that I already have. My university is nearly $27,000 a year, I don't look for the government to support me through school. If you work hard enough, you'll get grants from schools/organizations, and even scholarships. I have never looked at anyone but myself to pay my loans. I know if I work hard...I'll get a good job and my $100K+ debt won't be much of a problem.
What a crock of BS. So you're telling me you don't accept any government financial aid? Right.......

Pell grants are awarded on an as needed basis. I was in a single parent household with two other siblings in college and the program I studied was not offered at any state schools let alone only a handfull of colleges in the northeast. So you're telling me the 4 thousand a year I received through a pell grant wasn't warranted? Saying that pell grants are unecessary just because they conflict with your crazy beliefs does not justify anything. And yes Pedro, the military is an option for underprivileged teens, it's not a great one for everyone though.

But Jibb, you're completely rearranging the facts here. I worked hard, I did deserve the academic scholarships I received. My school was about 23k a year and in the end I had about 14 thousand in loans to pay off after 4 years and I didn't look anywhere else for those loans to be paid off but my own pocket. So don't tell me about working hard bud and don't make me out to be someone just looking for a free ride.......Would I have gone to the school I did if I were not given the financial awards I was? No. Accruing 100K+ in school loans is not a wise choice in my opinion. While you're paying off your school loans I'll be well on my way to paying off my first mortgage. Jibb there are more holes in your story than there are holes in the T-shirt I received from a Bar Mitzvah in 1991.

:roll:
Last edited by RJSVermont on Jan 12th, '05, 11:06, edited 1 time in total.
DMC
Post Office

Post by DMC »

RJSVermont wrote:And yes Pedro, the military is an option for underprivileged teens, it's not a great one for everyone though.
My sister(R NJ) was bugging my nephew to attend either West Point or the AF Academy... But since this "war" has been dragging on...
She now has reconsidered....
I asked her if that means she's against the "war"...
She said - no - I just don't want my kid hurt...
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

RJSVermont wrote:
What a crock of BS. So you're telling me you don't accept any government financial aid? Right.......
Would I refuse them? Of course not....does it bother me that Pell grants have been down sized....no.
RJSVermont wrote:
Pell grants are awarded on an as needed basis. I was in a single parent household with two other siblings in college and the program I studied was not offered at any state schools let alone only a handfull of colleges in the northeast. So you're telling me the 4 thousand a year I received through a pell grant wasn't warranted?
No. I said that "I" don't look at the government for help with my education. No where did I say any aid you got was not warranted. Again, I stated that if you work hard enough you'll get grants/scholarships from various schools...as you already noted in your case you did get scholarships/grants.
RJSVermont wrote:
Saying that pell grants are unecessary just because they conflict with your crazy beliefs does not justify anything.
Oh right...I'm crazy because my opinion is different from yours?

Anyway, I never said they are "unecessary". I simply gave an explination why the "downsizing: of Pell grants doesn't bother me. After all, you asked, did you not?
RJSVermont wrote:
But Jibb, you're completely rearranging the facts here.
Lets be frank here....I didn't offer any facts other than my tuition and my debt. Other than that I offered "my" opinion, nothing more.
RJSVermont wrote:
I worked hard, I did deserve the academic scholarships I received. My school was about 23k a year and in the end I had about 14 thousand in loans to pay off after 4 years and I didn't look anywhere else for those loans to be paid off but my own pocket. So don't tell me about working hard bud and don't make me out to be someone just looking for a free ride
I never said that I was talking about you in particular, I was attempting to generalize my opinion. Sorry if it came off that way.
RJSVermont wrote:
Accruing 100K+ in school loans is not a wise choice in my opinion. While you're paying off your school loans I'll be well on my way to paying off my first mortgage.
Your right, it's not a great idea. However, I think I am in a different position financially than you might think.
RJSVermont wrote:
Jibb there are more holes in your story than there are holes in the T-shirt I received from a Bar Mitzvah in 1991.
Again...no facts were offered....just my opinion.

RJSVermont
Slalom Racer

Post by RJSVermont »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Anyway, I never said they are "unecessary". I simply gave an explination why the "downsizing: of Pell grants doesn't bother me. After all, you asked, did you not?
Thank you Jibbs for just illustrating my point. That kind of thinking is pretty damn selfish if you ask me ("Oh, well it doesn't affect me so why should I care?") I am more than willing to say that 99% of college students disagree with you and do care about losing financial aid. Especially when they are aware that Bush's administration funds religious groups with 200 million $ a year (If you're unaware of this then you're research on dubbya is half assed. A simple google search on "bush funding religious groups" will uncover his policies and the trouble (lawsuits from unsupported religious groups) they have created.) So, 300 million a year taken away from college students and 200 million a year given to religious groups. In my opionion the students need it more.
Cityskier
Wanted Poster

Post by Cityskier »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:Would I refuse them? Of course not....does it bother me that Pell grants have been down sized....no.
Why? Because you have yours nobody else matters? You don't see a need to help those that might need help? I realize that I'm drawing my conclusions from an internet message board, but dude! Can you come across as more small minded?

Our government is taking away assistance that less fortunate people use to better their lives and become more productive members of society. What happens when these people fall through the cracks and can't support themselves? The receive assistance from a social welfare program. Who funds that? You and me and Hal and RJS and Dork and the rest of the people who are working.

Wouldn't it make sense to provide people with short term assistance on the front end rather than long-term, more expensive assistance on the back end? The answer is yes, but you need an administration that give a sh!t about the people.

Why do I even get involved in these discussions...
Pedro

Post by Pedro »

DMC wrote:
RJSVermont wrote:And yes Pedro, the military is an option for underprivileged teens, it's not a great one for everyone though.
My sister(R NJ) was bugging my nephew to attend either West Point or the AF Academy... But since this "war" has been dragging on...
She now has reconsidered....
I asked her if that means she's against the "war"...
She said - no - I just don't want my kid hurt...
Cant blame em, Your dead for a long time…