Rathergate Again

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
Pedro
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Pedro »

RJSVermont wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
Like pedro said....it's not a shame that I will have to work hard and find a good job to pay off my loans that I already have. My university is nearly $27,000 a year, I don't look for the government to support me through school. If you work hard enough, you'll get grants from schools/organizations, and even scholarships. I have never looked at anyone but myself to pay my loans. I know if I work hard...I'll get a good job and my $100K+ debt won't be much of a problem.
What a crock of BS. So you're telling me you don't accept any government financial aid? Right.......

Pell grants are awarded on an as needed basis. I was in a single parent household with two other siblings in college and the program I studied was not offered at any state schools let alone only a handfull of colleges in the northeast. So you're telling me the 4 thousand a year I received through a pell grant wasn't warranted? Saying that pell grants are unecessary just because they conflict with your crazy beliefs does not justify anything. And yes Pedro, the military is an option for underprivileged teens, it's not a great one for everyone though.

But Jibb, you're completely rearranging the facts here. I worked hard, I did deserve the academic scholarships I received. My school was about 23k a year and in the end I had about 14 thousand in loans to pay off after 4 years and I didn't look anywhere else for those loans to be paid off but my own pocket. So don't tell me about working hard bud and don't make me out to be someone just looking for a free ride.......Would I have gone to the school I did if I were not given the financial awards I was? No. Accruing 100K+ in school loans is not a wise choice in my opinion. While you're paying off your school loans I'll be well on my way to paying off my first mortgage. Jibb there are more holes in your story than there are holes in the T-shirt I received from a Bar Mitzvah in 1991.

:roll:
I wasn’t under privileged, I do find it amusing that you received more money in Pell grants then I did in tuition money from the army, but that’s mostly because I went to a State School.
RJSVermont
Slalom Racer

Post by RJSVermont »

Well Pedro, I actually was considering the military as an option to pay for school, however my father and uncle, both vietnam vets, pleaded with me not to go stating that the government and military are not what they used to be. Seems as if though they were right. As for the Pell grant, it also takes into consideration the amount of the school's tuition, and is not solely based upon the student's financial needs.
Some things just can't be bought......
Pedro
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Pedro »

RJSVermont wrote:Well Pedro, I actually was considering the military as an option to pay for school, however my father and uncle, both vietnam vets, pleaded with me not to go stating that the government and military are not what they used to be. Seems as if though they were right. As for the Pell grant, it also takes into consideration the amount of the school's tuition, and is not solely based upon the student's financial needs.
Huh, its gotta be better now then it was then... but Im sure every generation will get effed by the gov't
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

RJSVermont wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Anyway, I never said they are "unecessary". I simply gave an explination why the "downsizing: of Pell grants doesn't bother me. After all, you asked, did you not?
:roll:
Thank you Jibbs for just illustrating my point. That kind of thinking is pretty damn selfish if you ask me ("Oh, well it doesn't affect me so why should I care?") I am more than willing to say that 99% of college students disagree with you and do care about losing financial aid. Especially when they are aware that Bush's administration funds religious groups with 200 million $ a year (If you're unaware of this then you're research on dubbya is half assed. A simple google search on "bush funding religious groups" will uncover his policies and the trouble (lawsuits from unsupported religious groups) they have created.) So, 300 million a year taken away from college students and 200 million a year given to religious groups. In my opionion the students need it more.
First of all...I'm not selfish. Once again, YOU ASKED why I'm not bickering about it....it's because it DOES NOT BOTHER ME...that's why I'm not bickering. Sure it might bother some people, but no one I've spoken to has received a Pell grant.....additionally, I have recieved NO FINANCIAL AID in terms of scholarships/grants....all my education is paid in loans in my name.

I know I have an extremely narrow mind......but I guess it's hard for me to get where you guys are coming from. I know SEVERAL unfortunate people in my school that have very little money....but none of them have pell grants. To be honest, and I'm not racist, but many of these people that don't have a lot of money are getting a full ride because they're smart and a minority....and my university wants them; they pay the way for them.

I haven't met anyone that needed/relied on a Pell grant. However, that's not to say people get them....I just haven't heard it mentioned until now.

E