Condi In -- Colin Out

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Condi In -- Colin Out

Post by BigKahuna13 »

She was easily confirmed today and is probably being sworn in even as I write this.

I've got alot of beefs with the Bush administration but I will applaud him for having done more to put minorities and woman into positions of power in our government than any other single President I can think of.
What is not possible is not to choose. ~Jean-Paul Sartre

Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Re: Condi In -- Colin Out

Post by Dr. NO »

BigKahuna13 wrote:She was easily confirmed today and is probably being sworn in even as I write this.

I've got alot of beefs with the Bush administration but I will applaud him for having done more to put minorities and woman into positions of power in our government than any other single President I can think of.
I don't look at it in that manner. Bush has put the BEST qualified people that he trusts in positions he requires. Condi may not be your best friend, but she is one smart self disiplined person. Colin Powell was the same, just different ideals. Most Bush appointments reflect achievement, not diversity.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
DMC
Post Office

Post by DMC »

Dr. NO wrote:I don't look at it in that manner. Bush has put the BEST qualified people that he trusts in positions he requires. Condi may not be your best friend, but she is one smart self disiplined person. Colin Powell was the same, just different ideals. Most Bush appointments reflect achievement, not diversity.
Appointing Condi may have been a diverstity thing at one time but now - along with what you said.. Bush also needs someone that will follow his vision and not leave that track...
Pedro
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Pedro »

I think this could be an interesting flame war so ill start it off.

They made us watch this diversity video at work the other day explaining how diversity makes us stronger as a company....blah blah blah etc... thats all great and stuff but then towards the end of the video they clearly and bluntly stated that they are targeting to fill level 2, 3 and 4 (Which are the senior ranks in the company, im like an 8 to put into perspective) with minorities and women. Needless to say a lot of the non minority, non women type people were a bit discouraged after seeing the video.
DMC
Post Office

Post by DMC »

Pedro wrote:I think this could be an interesting flame war so ill start it off.

They made us watch this diversity video at work the other day explaining how diversity makes us stronger as a company....blah blah blah etc... thats all great and stuff but then towards the end of the video they clearly and bluntly stated that they are targeting to fill level 2, 3 and 4 (Which are the senior ranks in the company, im like an 8 to put into perspective) with minorities and women. Needless to say a lot of the non minority, non women type people were a bit discouraged after seeing the video.
I'm a white male... In my last few gigs - I WAS THE minority....
And I didnt like it one bit...
There are places in the working world where certain minority groups are not well represented.... You want to make minority groups happy so they'll buy what your sellin... If they see you hire people from their group, maybe they'd be more apt to buy your crap....

I've never been oppressed - so I can't really say...
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

DMC wrote:
Dr. NO wrote:I don't look at it in that manner. Bush has put the BEST qualified people that he trusts in positions he requires. Condi may not be your best friend, but she is one smart self disiplined person. Colin Powell was the same, just different ideals. Most Bush appointments reflect achievement, not diversity.
Appointing Condi may have been a diverstity thing at one time but now - along with what you said.. Bush also needs someone that will follow his vision and not leave that track...
Careful there Doug, you are starting to agree with me.

As for the Diversity thing, I thought we were about the "melting pot". Yeah, I know, before most of the peoples time, but this "be nice and understand" crap is out of control. time to bring the "melting pot" back and learn the language and keep it a nation !
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Dr. NO wrote:
DMC wrote:

As for the Diversity thing, I thought we were about the "melting pot". Yeah, I know, before most of the peoples time, but this "be nice and understand" crap is out of control. time to bring the "melting pot" back and learn the language and keep it a nation !
You better have a talk with Bush then Dr.NO because he caters to Hispanics. It amazes me how many things in NYC are written both in English and Spanish. When I came to this country I had to learn English fast - noone catered to me. I am glad that I had to learn fast because this way I became assimilated much faster.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

I agree with most of you....people come to our nation normally for oppurtunity, and ultimately success. It's much harder to do this with out learning the language of YOUR new culture as an immigrant. Of course I wouldn't expect a hispanic/german/etc to throw their culture out the window...but at least learn our language if you want to be a part of our culture.

On that note, I know my university and many others, make immigrants take tests to show they can communicate in english at the college level.

About Condi....I don't want to start a flame war, so this is just my $.02. I think Condi is a great choice regardless of her race. I am frustrated to a certain extent by Boxer...yes she's allowed to voice her opinion and I'm fine with that....i guess i would have been more understanding of Boxer's arguement if she had another better person in mind to take Powells position? Maybe she did...but not that I recall, and I certainly can't think of anyone better than her and with her experience. Lastly, I watched Boxer live in the hearings with Condi and she really just wasn't saying why she objected to Condi (at least during the 30mins I saw). It seemed like she used the oppurtunity to preach about our country and used this time to speak out about matters not directly related to Condi. Then again I haven't seen the whole thing nor read the transcripts so I may be WAY off base here....but this is just the impression I got from the 30 minutes I saw.

E
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

tyrolean_skier wrote:
Dr. NO wrote:
DMC wrote:

You better have a talk with Bush then Dr.NO because he caters to Hispanics. It amazes me how many things in NYC are written both in English and Spanish. When I came to this country I had to learn English fast - noone catered to me. I am glad that I had to learn fast because this way I became assimilated much faster.
I agree that English is the defacto national language and you really can't succeed in this country without knowing it. That said, even if we did formally make English the national language, you'd still see tons of bi and tri lingual publications in places like NYC if for no other reasons than to recognize the fact that learning English takes time and because of the sheer number of foreigners who visit us on a daily basis.
What is not possible is not to choose. ~Jean-Paul Sartre