Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Iraq Elections

Post by Pedro »

The iraqis look happy, No?
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

YES !

They went in more numbers than expected.

One report had a woman stepping over the blood of an attack because she demanded to vote ! :shock:

It is a start. Just hope the PEOPLE of IRAQ continue to support a new government.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
DMC
Post Office

Post by DMC »

The elections make me happy... I'm glad everyone turned out...

Now can we PLEASE bring our people home?!??!?!?

My Brother is getting nervous about going back...
SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

DMC wrote:The elections make me happy... I'm glad everyone turned out...

My thoughts are that democracy won't last over there no matter what we do. Jusy my $0.02
Wait Till Next Year!!! Image

Iceman 10/11 Season

ImageImageImage
DMC
Post Office

Post by DMC »

SkiDork wrote:

My thoughts are that democracy won't last over there no matter what we do. Jusy my $0.02
Very well said...
Our Western Democracy may not fit into their value system... But rest assured our current administration will attempt to drive that square peg into a round hole... You know - stay the course...
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

DMC wrote:
SkiDork wrote:

Very well said...
Our Western Democracy may not fit into their value system... But rest assured our current administration will attempt to drive that square peg into a round hole... You know - stay the course...
Dunno. They're still essentially tribalist, but what is a democracy if it isn't a bunch of self-serving tribes looking out for their best interests? Only difference is, when we don't like things we go to court. They start shooting.
What is not possible is not to choose. ~Jean-Paul Sartre

Pedro

Post by Pedro »

SkiDork wrote:

I don't know, people went out to the vote despite threats of being killed by mortarts, rockets and suicide bombers, and they still had about a 60% turn out. What was the turnout for our election in Nov? maybe 70%?
DMC
Post Office

Post by DMC »

BigKahuna13 wrote:
DMC wrote:
SkiDork wrote:

Very well said...
Dunno. They're still essentially tribalist, but what is a democracy if it isn't a bunch of self-serving tribes looking out for their best interests? Only difference is, when we don't like things we go to court. They start shooting.
I think Iraq will imediately go into a civil war that will divide the coutry into 3 or 4 tribal regions...
I'm still afraid for the Kurds.. They've prettty much had their own coutry since for a while...
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Jeez guys, even the French and the Germans are giving a lot of credit to the Bush administration on the elections. As for what happens next, with an interim government drafting a constitution, and elections again in December, time will tell. Actually, I think the country will hold together, the Shiites and Kurds will work to bring the Sunni's into the process, and little by little progress will be made. Jeffersonian democracy? No. But it's a start on a long road toward a social compact between the ruled and the rulers. Time will tell....
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

Bubba wrote:Jeez guys, even the French and the Germans are giving a lot of credit to the Bush administration on the elections. As for what happens next, with an interim government drafting a constitution, and elections again in December, time will tell. Actually, I think the country will hold together, the Shiites and Kurds will work to bring the Sunni's into the process, and little by little progress will be made. Jeffersonian democracy? No. But it's a start on a long road toward a social compact between the ruled and the rulers. Time will tell....
And I bet you still believe in Santa :D

Would be nice if it turns out that way. I sincerely hope it does, but I'm skeptical
What is not possible is not to choose. ~Jean-Paul Sartre

XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Bubba wrote:Jeez guys, even the French and the Germans are giving a lot of credit to the Bush administration on the elections. As for what happens next, with an interim government drafting a constitution, and elections again in December, time will tell. Actually, I think the country will hold together, the Shiites and Kurds will work to bring the Sunni's into the process, and little by little progress will be made. Jeffersonian democracy? No. But it's a start on a long road toward a social compact between the ruled and the rulers. Time will tell....
I agree 100%. I actually heard the turn-out rate for voters was near 72% in Iraq. I think with democracy in the making in Iraq and the recent peace talks due to the new prime minister in palestine (i think i don't recall). Things sound to be improving recently. In fact I read this morning Israel withdrew a lot of troops from Gaza. Maybe it's just this week....but things are starting to look better.

Of couse if you asked Ted Kennedy and Kerry I'm sure they'd tell you we're all doomed and we will die miserably :roll:

E
DMC
Post Office

Post by DMC »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:Of couse if you asked Ted Kennedy and Kerry I'm sure they'd tell you we're all doomed and we will die miserably :roll:
Sorry - you got them counfused with Cheney... Isn't he the vote for us or die guy?
Pedro

Post by Pedro »

DMC wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:Of couse if you asked Ted Kennedy and Kerry I'm sure they'd tell you we're all doomed and we will die miserably :roll:
Sorry - you got them counfused with Cheney... Isn't he the vote for us or die guy?
Thats a catchy slogan......
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

DMC wrote:
No.

But lets be honest here....I think Kerry would have been MUCH worse against terrorism.

E
DMC
Post Office

Post by DMC »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
DMC wrote:
No.

But lets be honest here....I think Kerry would have been MUCH worse against terrorism.

E
Hey - I know what - lets talk about things that havent happened...

How the F should I know??