State of The Union

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

State of The Union

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

I think the President's speech tonight was excellent. I think everyone, Democrat, Republican, Independent at least felt this speech when the woman from Iraq and the mother and father of the soldier killed in Iraq hugged.

I also listened to the democratic response...they offered some new info about SS:
There's a lot we can do to improve Americans' retirement security, but it's wrong to replace the guaranteed benefit that Americans have earned with a guaranteed benefit cut of up to 40 percent.

Make no mistake, that's exactly what President Bush is proposing.
I think during Bush's speech....he said the options were on the table and there was no plan yet?

Democrats also noted that there is a debt of 36K for every child born:
Too many of the president's economic policies have left Americans and American companies struggling. And after we worked so hard to eliminate the deficit, his policies have added trillions to the debt -- in effect, a "birth tax" of $36,000 on every child that is born.

I haven't done any research....but I'm going to side with most analyst that came on tonight and said about the democratic response...."that's just a little over the edge".

I found this inparticular quote offensive:
You know, today is Groundhog Day. And what we saw and heard tonight was a little like the movie "Groundhog Day" -- the same old ideology that we've heard before, over and over and over again. We can do better.
Comparing everything was said tonight, the deceased soldiers parents being there, the woman from Iraq being there, and the many times the democrats actually stood and clapped for many of Bush's points....I don't know...just seemed way off the rocker to compare Bush's speech to Groundhog Day!

I also found it offensive that Bush was boo'd during his speech. I would hope that no one in the republican party would ever do such a thing at the State of The Union towards a democrat...I'd frown upon it the same in either case, it's disrespectful.

One thing to note that a analyst brought up this morning. Democrats were actually first in suggesting that SS needed to be fixed....am I right on this?

I think that Bush's speech was incredible, and I am proud to be a Republican. It's sad that even at a great moment as today, partisan politics and boo's are still coming out of the democratic party. All this is doing is helping the republican party.

One thing to note on the Democrats response....notice how little to nothing was said about Iraq? Why? Democrats had nothing to say about the vote? Why?

E

Democratic Transcripts:
http://www.cnn.com/2005/ALLPOLITICS/02/ ... index.html

State of The Union:
http://www.cnn.com/2005/ALLPOLITICS/02/ ... ranscript/
Last edited by XtremeJibber2001 on Feb 3rd, '05, 08:29, edited 1 time in total.
Pedro
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Re: State of The Union

Post by Pedro »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote: I also found it offensive that Bush was boo'd during his speech. I would hope that no one in the republican party would ever do such a thing at the State of The Union towards a democrat...I'd frown upon it the same in either case, it's disrespectful.

One thing to note that a analyst brought up this morning. Democrats were actually first in suggesting that SS needed to be fixed....am I right on this?

The dems start booing once bush explains the logistics and timeline of Social security running out, I think ted kennedy was drunk and got everyone fired up...Bush explains that when social security was started 16 People were paying in per person collecting, Benefits were lower and people did not live as long, while today its about 3 workers to 1 Collecting and declining....now this should be no surpise to anyone... Im 28 years old, and when i was in High School I was told "you will never get Social security." like Alan Greenspan said, lets ice this program all together.

When i was in the army they just started offering the Thrift savings plan to Solidiers which was formerly only offered to govt employees, kind of like a 401K account... bush said in his speech he wants to offer this to everyone.. i think this is an excellent Idea.. not everyone has an employer that offers a 401K.
XtremeJibber2001 wrote: One thing to note....notice how little to nothing was said about Iraq? Why? Democrats had nothing to say about the vote? Why?
DVD Sales.... success in Iraq=low sales for Farenhiet 911
DMC
Post Office

Post by DMC »

Didnt watch it... Was out walking in the beautiful winter night...
Mid-20's, clear skys, no winds... A great night to be outside...

Wondering how we're going to support all the poor people that invest their SS $ unwisely... Hoping that the Iraqis can make some good choices so we can get the F outta there... Praying that no nukes slip across the boarders in unchecked containers... Wondering when the Iran or Syrian war will begin... Thinking that changing the constitution to ban gays from getting married would be a bad thing and the states should decide for themselves...

You know... All the stuff that frightens me...

I did see the picture of the mom hugging the Iraq woman... Nice photo... But - well... nevermind..

It was a nice night outside...
Last edited by DMC on Feb 3rd, '05, 08:35, edited 1 time in total.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Pedro wrote:When i was in the army they just started offering the Thrift savings plan to Solidiers which was formerly only offered to govt employees, kind of like a 401K account... bush said in his speech he wants to offer this to everyone.. i think this is an excellent Idea.. not everyone has an employer that offers a 401K.
I also think it's a great plan. However, I'd rather see 100% of my SS given to me to invest and keep that till my retirement. Although this is not possible because the difficulties in passing such an act. But I think of this....better that I can invest 4% of my 12.4% (I think) SS rather than have no SS or higher taxes.

The democrats have screeched that changing the SS is bad....but what do they propose? "tax and spend, tax and spend"

E

P.S. Here is a nice little article.... http://www.ncpa.org/pi/congress/pd051600g.html I didn't have time to get a better resource but search google and you'll certainly find more info.
DMC
Post Office

Post by DMC »

Pedro wrote:DVD Sales.... success in Iraq=low sales for Farenhiet 911
Just got it from NetFlix going to watch it later...
Hosting an open jam tonight at a local bar so it may have to wait until tomorrow...
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

DMC wrote: Didnt watch it... Was out walking in the beautiful winter night...
I posted the transcripts so I could provide the speech for those who couldn't watch it.

Wondering how we're going to support all the poor people that invest their SS $ unwisely... [/quote]

Ask yourself....whos fault is that? The governments? Or the person who invested unwisely...?
DMC wrote: Thinking that changing the constitution to ban gays from getting married would be a bad thing and the states should decide for themselves...
I agree...it should be up to the states...although I think if it was voted on like in the 11 other states where it's banned....it would still be banned in all 50 states....MA might have a chance...just my $.02
DMC wrote: I did see the picture of the mom hugging the Iraq woman... Nice photo... But - well... nevermind..
Your right...it should have touched your heart....

Personally...I'd like to see your replies to points me and Pedro made...I posted the transcipts, check them out when you have time.

E
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

Got to love the Dems. They invented SS as a "Safety Net" not a do all. Then, LBJ blew the budget out of proportion in the 60's. How can we fix it? Ah, borrow from SS and put SS on the budget. Hey, a balanced budget.

Oh no, we have disability, death benefits and people need to have health care when they can't afford it. Answer by the Dems in the 60's? We can use SS to provide all of this, and it will only cost another 1%. OOPS.

So, SS went from about 3% payroll deduction then to 12% until the Dems wanted to IMPROVE it. How? By splitting the payroll deduction into 2 parts, SS and Medicaid.

And, now they say the Republicans are srewing it up. Just don't get it.

As for particen politics, so be it. If they argue and say they are doing it wrong, they will do less to screw things up.

AND, they never had a non deficit budget since around the early 1900's. It was a "PROJECTED" budget that would have never come to reality with Tax and Spend Government. Add on a war or two, and it just would never have happened. Clinton "PROJECTED" no deficit spending in 10 years. Easy for him because he would have been out of office in another 7 at the time. Also, it was a "REPUBLICAN" congress that passed that budget.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
DMC
Post Office

Post by DMC »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:[
Ask yourself....whos fault is that? The governments? Or the person who invested unwisely...?

Not laying blame... I can see good and bad...
Good - I can handle...
Bad - well that's something I can't handle..
Destitute people make me sad..

I agree...it should be up to the states...although I think if it was voted on like in the 11 other states where it's banned....it would still be banned in all 50 states....MA might have a chance...just my $.02

I dissagree... I believe in states rights...

Personally...I'd like to see your replies to points me and Pedro made...I posted the transcipts, check them out when you have time.

I probably won't - feeling very mellow about our government now.. Like there's a train coming and I'm tied to the tracks - and the hero is nowhere in site...
I really need to concentrate on getting my friend elected mayor of my town and try and deal with things that I can affect change... Try to get this town turned around and make it better...
Think globally - act locally

XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

DMC wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:[

Not laying blame... I can see good and bad...
Good - I can handle...
Bad - well that's something I can't handle..
Destitute people make me sad..

Some people can't live on their own....I don't think that's the governments fault. I also think it's the individuals fault if they are given money and invest it poorly....even if they did...they still have the 8.4% that they can not invest that the gov't would save FOR THEM.

I dissagree... I believe in states rights...

I said I agreed "with" you on state rights :D I just said I "think" when states vote on it....none of them will pass gay marriage as "legal"

I probably won't - feeling very mellow about our government now.. Like there's a train coming and I'm tied to the tracks - and the hero is nowhere in site...
I really need to concentrate on getting my friend elected mayor of my town and try and deal with things that I can affect change... Try to get this town turned around and make it better...
Think globally - act locally

Where is this train coming from? What tracks are you/we tied to? What do you expect this hero to do? What is it that YOUR candidate would do so much different from Bush (realistically). I don't get it....
DMC
Post Office

Post by DMC »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Where is this train coming from? What tracks are you/we tied to? What do you expect this hero to do? What is it that YOUR candidate would do so much different from Bush (realistically). I don't get it...
As has been told to me by people on this board...
GWB won - Kerry lost - deal with it...

Realistically - It's the "morality" issues they are pushing that makes me feel like the train is coming...

I'm not going to get into the SS thing here... I just know that some people will make bad moves and they will become destitute...

But on the bright side... Stocks in Cat Food will probably go up !
Cityskier
Wanted Poster

Post by Cityskier »

You really scare me XJ.

That is all.
DMC
Post Office

Post by DMC »

Cityskier wrote:You really scare me XJ.

That is all.
You really got to wonder what he's going to be like in 20 years??

Either a total faciast or a "suit and tie conservative" or and activist for legalizing weed?

But - chances are he'll get drafted - and he'll be wearing fatigues...
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

That is all.
Because I'm right? Or that you disagree with me?

The whole "GWB Won - Kerry Lost - Deal with it"....do you blame us? All the name calling, defamation, harassment to our commander-in-chief (not to mention the harrassment we received just for being conservative!)during the election! Not only that, but people like Boxer and Kennedy making the kind of remarks lately that are WAY OFF base.

It's funny how CS and DMC have come here and said nothing about the speech. No liberal has provided an alternative way to what Bush is doing....all you liberals (used generally) do is come here and rant about other things when we're trying to specifically stay on the topic of Bush's speech and your views/feelings about it. Instead I get responses like "You scare me"...nothing to back it up, no challenging what I said, no comments to express why "I" scare people. It's the same mentally (soon to be the demise) the democratic party has....rant rant rant but no explinations...no suggestions of how the war can be fought better...no suggestions in how to handle SS better...just rant rant rant. I'm sick of it....it's great we can share our opinion....but lately some rants with no base...no reasons or explinations to improve problems...it's just a waste of time.In DMC's defense...he hasn't read/watched the speech so he can't really contribute to this discussion atm.

Feel free to leave a rebuttal....but please, PLEASE, let me know why "I" scare you, let me know how you think YOUR party should handle SS better. Stay on topic...lets not get on a tangent.....

E
DMC
Post Office

Post by DMC »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:

That is all.
Because I'm right? Or that you disagree with me?

The whole "GWB Won - Kerry Lost - Deal with it"....do you blame us? All the name calling, defamation, harassment to our commander-in-chief (not to mention the harrassment we received just for being conservative!)during the election! Not only that, but people like Boxer and Kennedy making the kind of remarks lately that are WAY OFF base.

It's funny how CS and DMC have come here and said nothing about the speech. No liberal has provided an alternative way to what Bush is doing....all you liberals (used generally) do is come here and rant about other things when we're trying to specifically stay on the topic of Bush's speech and your views/feelings about it. Instead I get responses like "You scare me"...nothing to back it up, no challenging what I said, no comments to express why "I" scare people. It's the same mentally (soon to be the demise) the democratic party has....rant rant rant but no explinations...no suggestions of how the war can be fought better...no suggestions in how to handle SS better...just rant rant rant. I'm sick of it....it's great we can share our opinion....but lately some rants with no base...no reasons or explinations to improve problems...it's just a waste of time.In DMC's defense...he hasn't read/watched the speech so he can't really contribute to this discussion atm.

Feel free to leave a rebuttal....but please, PLEASE, let me know why "I" scare you, let me know how you think YOUR party should handle SS better. Stay on topic...lets not get on a tangent.....

E
So you scare him...? Big deal..

You scare me too... You obviosly don't see what we see.. But that's cool..
I really dont want to get into it.. Even though you may not think so - Your still a kid... You got a lot of living to do - and your opionions will change about certain things over time...
And I wont EVER accuse you flipflopping.. Cause minds are like parachutes...

But - just trust me - as emotional you are about defending your President and his Cabient we feel like doing just the opposite..
You want to cheer and we demand accountability for things that we think were done badly...
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

DMC wrote:

That is all.
You really got to wonder what he's going to be like in 20 years??

Either a total faciast or a "suit and tie conservative" or and activist for legalizing weed?

But - chances are he'll get drafted - and he'll be wearing fatigues...
OR, worse yet, he will me like ME ! :lol:
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?