Red(necks) Rising

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
Pedro
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Pedro »

DMC wrote:
Pedro wrote:
DMC wrote:
Pedro wrote: Also I have not seen this argument presented in any reputable news publication so I really am not concerned
So your saying your opinions are soley based on what you read???
No but i wouldn't base them off of an email forward.
Thats a good thing...

My delete button finger is finally starting to feel better after all the deleting I've been doing the last couple of months...
The election is over and i am glad....
DMC
Post Office

Post by DMC »

Pedro wrote:
DMC wrote:
Pedro wrote:
DMC wrote:
Pedro wrote: Also I have not seen this argument presented in any reputable news publication so I really am not concerned
So your saying your opinions are soley based on what you read???
Thats a good thing...

My delete button finger is finally starting to feel better after all the deleting I've been doing the last couple of months...
I'm glad for you....
Bill Clinton
Green Skidder

Post by Bill Clinton »

DMC wrote:
Pedro wrote:
DMC wrote:
Pedro wrote:
DMC wrote: So your saying your opinions are soley based on what you read???
Thats a good thing...

I'm glad for you....
Me too! Time to start looking for some more Bitches!!
rpuck
Black Carver

Post by rpuck »

thought this was entertaining

http://www.ucomics.com/davidhorsey/
Geoff
Whipping Post

Post by Geoff »

DMC wrote:
KingsFourMan wrote:And the point is that Jesusland (the south) is responsible for putting Bush in office and Jesusland is not exactly a hot bed of open minded values and beliefs. In fact it's quite the contrary.
I hate the south... I've had MANY oppurtunities to move to GA,FLA,Texas and Lousiana... But I would rather work at a KMart in the Northeast then subject myself to racism and religious rantings..
Gotta throw the sh*t flag here.

I can remember the Southie anti-busing marches like it was yesterday. Multi-millionaire professional athletes who have trophy homes in the affluent Boston burbs routinely get pulled over for DWB (driving while black). That mercedes must be stolen since it's driven by a black guy. I've worked with several black people who moved up from the south for a few years and bailed out because of the racism in the Northeast.
DMC
Post Office

Post by DMC »

Geoff wrote:
DMC wrote: Gotta throw the sh*t flag here.

I can remember the Southie anti-busing marches like it was yesterday. Multi-millionaire professional athletes who have trophy homes in the affluent Boston burbs routinely get pulled over for DWB (driving while black). That mercedes must be stolen since it's driven by a black guy. I've worked with several black people who moved up from the south for a few years and bailed out because of the racism in the Northeast.
I'm not bullshitting... I witnessed some pretty F'd up crap down there..
I'm not sure what's going on in Boston - I can't speak to that...

But I couldnt wait to get back to NYC...
CAPBOY
Guru Poster

Post by CAPBOY »

There is no racism down south...

There is no Klan either...
Geoff
Whipping Post

Post by Geoff »

DMC wrote:
I'm not bullshitting... I witnessed some pretty F'd up crap down there..
I'm not sure what's going on in Boston - I can't speak to that...

But I couldnt wait to get back to NYC...
I'm not questioning that. I'm just pointing out that most places in the Northeast are pretty racist, too. They're just a little more subtle about it than in the south. NYC is something of a special case since it's always been the major immigration point on the east coast.
CAPBOY
Guru Poster

Post by CAPBOY »

Wasn't there a big profiling thing in Jersey a couple years ago?
CAPBOY
Guru Poster

Post by CAPBOY »

And I must have imagined the firebombing of those illegal aliens' house in Farmingville.
DMC
Post Office

Post by DMC »

You really got to live down there for a while to get a feel for the whole racial vibe...
Maybe it's a NYC thing.. Whatever - I've just never experienced racism like I did in Georgia and Alabama..
I dissowned a friggin cousin in Alabama. Cause he wouldnt use the fire extinguisher in his car to help out a black guy whos VW van had caught on fire...

It would never occur to me to not help someone in distress because of their race...

I could go on and on... but it's depressing...
CAPBOY
Guru Poster

Post by CAPBOY »

DMC wrote:You really got to live down there for a while to get a feel for the whole racial vibe...
Maybe it's a NYC thing.. Whatever - I've just never experienced racism like I did in Georgia and Alabama..
I dissowned a friggin cousin in Alabama. Cause he wouldnt use the fire extinguisher in his car to help out a black guy whos VW van had caught on fire...

It would never occur to me to not help someone in distress because of their race...

I could go on and on... but it's depressing...
I find it interesting being white and being a minority right now where I work. Nothing serious, but it provides a tiny hint of what things may be like for other people.
yeti
Powderhound

Post by yeti »

Ummm.... I won't even bother justifying this topic with words....

Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Gotta chime in here for a minute.

1. Yes, the south voted overwhelmingly for Bush while the rest of the country gave Kerry a majority. However, scratch one layer deeper and you'll see that it was merely the cities of those non-southern states that went big time for Kerry while the majority of the rest of the areas outside the cities went for Bush. Therefore, rather than being the south against the rest of the country, maybe it's everyone against the major cities. All you have to do is look at the county breakdown of red/blue to realize this is true.

2. There are still areas in the south that are the "old" south. However, there is a new south that is quite different than your stereotype. I've spent an awful lot of time in the south and with southerners and have not found racism as you describe, although I know it still exists. The statement about the south being racist religious nuts is as bigoted and ignorant as anything else I've heard. It's that attitude, and the attitude of the "coastal people" about the ignorance of the heartland that riles those people, alienates them to an extent, and causes them (in part) to vote the way they do. Is Republican strategy of scaring people about gay marriage that much different than Democrat strategy of scaring seniors about social security every four years? Or the Democrat strategy of telling blacks that electing a Republican will cause a return to segregation? Fear mongering is fear mongering - done by both sides to win elections.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

Bubba wrote:Gotta chime in here for a minute.

1. Yes, the south voted overwhelmingly for Bush while the rest of the country gave Kerry a majority. However, scratch one layer deeper and you'll see that it was merely the cities of those non-southern states that went big time for Kerry while the majority of the rest of the areas outside the cities went for Bush. Therefore, rather than being the south against the rest of the country, maybe it's everyone against the major cities. All you have to do is look at the county breakdown of red/blue to realize this is true.

2. There are still areas in the south that are the "old" south. However, there is a new south that is quite different than your stereotype. I've spent an awful lot of time in the south and with southerners and have not found racism as you describe, although I know it still exists. The statement about the south being racist religious nuts is as bigoted and ignorant as anything else I've heard. It's that attitude, and the attitude of the "coastal people" about the ignorance of the heartland that riles those people, alienates them to an extent, and causes them (in part) to vote the way they do. Is Republican strategy of scaring people about gay marriage that much different than Democrat strategy of scaring seniors about social security every four years? Or the Democrat strategy of telling blacks that electing a Republican will cause a return to segregation? Fear mongering is fear mongering - done by both sides to win elections.
very good points and well taken.
Don't fly Mr. Bluebird, I'm just walking down the road......