Where the hell is the mainstream media coverage?

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
Cityskier
Wanted Poster

Where the hell is the mainstream media coverage?

Post by Cityskier »

Why wasn't more made of this? How can a country like ours not GUARANTEE our system for voting is free of impropriety?

http://www.wanttoknow.info/031109nytimes
shortski
Site Admin

Re: Where the hell is the mainstream media coverage?

Post by shortski »

Cityskier wrote:Why wasn't more made of this? How can a country like ours not GUARANTEE our system for voting is free of impropriety?

If your looking for an iron clad guarantee that all voting or for that matter anything is 100% secure it will never happen, for every security system there is someone trying to beat it for fun or for profit. Paper ballots are much more open to tampering and ballot box stuffing than electronic means. One step in the right direction would be picture identification at the pollls before voting but the ACLU already went ape sh*t over that saying it was an invasion of privacy and intimidation aimed at minorities and undocumented workers, what a laugh isn't it illegal for non citizens to vote, but I guess if you're calling them undocumented workers instead of ILLEGAL EMIGRANTS AND TOSSING THEM OUT OF THE COUNTRY I guess it stands to reason not to discriminate or intimidate them.
Cogito, ergo sum

Sometimes it is that simple.

ImageImage
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

"Others indicated that the Microsoft Access database used in Diebold's tabulation servers was not protected by passwords."

They've got to be kidding me. Access??!! That's a friggin secretary's toy,
it's not a real database.
What is not possible is not to choose. ~Jean-Paul Sartre

Cityskier
Wanted Poster

Re: Where the hell is the mainstream media coverage?

Post by Cityskier »

shortski wrote:
Cityskier wrote:Why wasn't more made of this? How can a country like ours not GUARANTEE our system for voting is free of impropriety?

If your looking for an iron clad guarantee that all voting or for that matter anything is 100% secure it will never happen, for every security system there is someone trying to beat it for fun or for profit. Paper ballots are much more open to tampering and ballot box stuffing than electronic means. One step in the right direction would be picture identification at the pollls before voting but the ACLU already went ape sh*t over that saying it was an invasion of privacy and intimidation aimed at minorities and undocumented workers, what a laugh isn't it illegal for non citizens to vote, but I guess if you're calling them undocumented workers instead of ILLEGAL EMIGRANTS AND TOSSING THEM OUT OF THE COUNTRY I guess it stands to reason not to discriminate or intimidate them.

I realize that perfection is unrealistic. I was just reading some other stuff about Walden O'Dell, the head of Diebold, and it just really seems as if we aren't trying very hard to ensure that the voting process is secure.

I don't have the answers...I would just hope that the issue gets prioritized a little higher than it currently seems to be.
ski_adk
Bumper

Post by ski_adk »

Yeah, but it doesn't really matter how the votes go anyways. With the electoral college in place, the elector from my district can vote any way he/she chooses to anyways. So, even if my district voted 100% Red, my EC representative could go ahead and vote blue, despite the popular red vote.

//and some people wonder why other people don't vote....it's not that they don't understand the system....it's because THEY DO!
Last edited by ski_adk on Mar 15th, '05, 15:41, edited 1 time in total.
Cityskier
Wanted Poster

Post by Cityskier »

ski_adk wrote:Yeah, but it doesn't really matter how the votes go anyways. With the electoral college in place, the elector from my district can vote any way he/she chooses to anyways. So, even if my district voted 100% Red, my EC representative could go ahead and vote blue, despite the popular red vote.

//and some people wonder why people don't vote....it's not that don't understand the system....it's because THEY DO!

That's a whole other issue...It's ridiculous that the system has not been overhauled.
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

Cityskier wrote:
ski_adk wrote:Yeah, but it doesn't really matter how the votes go anyways. With the electoral college in place, the elector from my district can vote any way he/she chooses to anyways. So, even if my district voted 100% Red, my EC representative could go ahead and vote blue, despite the popular red vote.

//and some people wonder why people don't vote....it's not that don't understand the system....it's because THEY DO!

That's a whole other issue...It's ridiculous that the system has not been overhauled.
In actuality, since the candidate (or the party) name the electors you're virtually assured that the elector will vote for his candidate.

The bigger issues with the college is the fact that for most states it's an all-or-nothing proposition.
What is not possible is not to choose. ~Jean-Paul Sartre