Oil Prices - Where's the Outrage?

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
Bubba
Site Admin

Oil Prices - Where's the Outrage?

Post by Bubba »

WTI futures for prompt month delivery has dropped to under $80/bbl today. Guess those big bad oil companies are still manipulating prices.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
DMC
Post Office

Re: Oil Prices - Where's the Outrage?

Post by DMC »

Bubba wrote:WTI futures for prompt month delivery has dropped to under $80/bbl today. Guess those big bad oil companies are still manipulating prices.
Funny how people just let that one go after all the finger pointing at the President... :)

They were REALLY counting on gas going up and staying up to get rid of the President.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

DMC wrote:
Bubba wrote:WTI futures for prompt month delivery has dropped to under $80/bbl today. Guess those big bad oil companies are still manipulating prices.
Funny how people just let that one go after all the finger pointing at the President... :)

They were REALLY counting on gas going up and staying up to get rid of the President.
Yes, but they were also blaming rising oil prices on manipulation, speculation, etc., anything but good old fashioned supply and demand, coupled with fear and greed, all of which is usually what drives markets. Speculators and oil companies get all the blame when prices go up but everyone ignores the fact that they also go down, also driven by speculators, supply, demand, fear and greed. It's all what makes markets work, for better and for worse.

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
DMC
Post Office

Post by DMC »

Bubba wrote:
DMC wrote:

Yes, but they were also blaming rising oil prices on manipulation, speculation, etc., anything but good old fashioned supply and demand, coupled with fear and greed, all of which is usually what drives markets. Speculators and oil companies get all the blame when prices go up but everyone ignores the fact that they also go down, also driven by speculators, supply, demand, fear and greed. It's all what makes markets work, for better and for worse.
Shits way to complicated for me to really grasp... I leave that up to you... haha..

But I was kinda expecting it to go down during the summer.. Doesn't that usually happen?
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

DMC wrote:
Bubba wrote:
DMC wrote:

Shits way to complicated for me to really graspYep... I leave that up to you... haha..

But I was kinda expecting it to go down during the summer.. Doesn't that usually happen?NO
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
steamboat1
Post Office

Post by steamboat1 »

Going to be hard for Obama to take credit for the drop in oil when just a couple of months ago he said $4+ gas was a sign of a strong, growing economy!

But I'm sure MSNBC will gloss over that too.
Attachments
238053.jpg
238053.jpg (32.58 KiB) Viewed 1012 times
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

steamboat1 wrote:Going to be hard for Obama to take credit for the drop in oil when just a couple of months ago he said $4+ gas was a sign of a strong, growing economy!

but he will anyway and some will take the bait; hook, line and sinker. hell some don't even need the bait, the bare hook is plenty enticing all by itself...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

DMC wrote:
Bubba wrote:
DMC wrote:

Shits way to complicated for me to really grasp... I leave that up to you... haha..

But I was kinda expecting it to go down during the summer.. Doesn't that usually happen?
The conventional wisdom is that gasoline prices (not necessarily crude prices) rise in the spring and peak around Memorial Day and certainly by July 4th. Spring and fall are the times when refineries change over blends, come down for turnarounds, etc. and also adjust production (to the very limited extent they can) to make more gasoline or make more heating oil. Prices tend to rise when these changes are taking place. They also rise simply due to the expectation that they will rise thus becoming a self-fulfilling expectation. This year, both crude and gasoline prices rose in tandem but peaked early and have been coming down ever since. We're probably bottoming out right now as $80 seems to be a floor over the past couple of years since the big drop when the economy and stock markets tanked in 2008.

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

F. Scott Fitzgerald

DMC
Post Office

Post by DMC »

madhatter wrote:
steamboat1 wrote:Going to be hard for Obama to take credit for the drop in oil when just a couple of months ago he said $4+ gas was a sign of a strong, growing economy!

but he will anyway and some will take the bait; hook, line and sinker. hell some don't even need the bait, the bare hook is plenty enticing all by itself...
Just like when some took the bait on your side of the aisle..

Maybe I don't pretend to understand how oil works on the global market - but at least I admit..
Dickc
Postaholic

Post by Dickc »

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/breakout ... 25z;_ylv=3 Not sure this link will hold up as it is long, but the article is on Yahoo Finance and is titled "Look out below Major Crude Crash Is Coming Says Analyst"
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Dickc wrote:http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/breakout ... 25z;_ylv=3 Not sure this link will hold up as it is long, but the article is on Yahoo Finance and is titled "Look out below Major Crude Crash Is Coming Says Analyst"

Gotta love technical traders. Damn the facts, let's just look at the charts.

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

F. Scott Fitzgerald

Dickc
Postaholic

Post by Dickc »

Elliot wave theory. They trade on past history and current "waves". Damn how the economy or politics might be affecting things. I would have loved to see their call on Apple three years ago. Bet it was wrong.
Coydog
Guru Poster

Post by Coydog »

Bubba wrote:
DMC wrote:

Oil speculators unwind, oil prices drop. Try as you might, it's pretty clear the current volatility of the oil markets has almost nothing to do with physical supply and demand.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Coydog wrote:
Bubba wrote:
DMC wrote:

Oil speculators unwind, oil prices drop. Try as you might, it's pretty clear the current volatility of the oil markets has almost nothing to do with physical supply and demand.
Thought I'd resurrect this thread from a few years back. Coydog, since the 2012 drop didn't have anything to do with supply and demand, what about the current cratering?

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

F. Scott Fitzgerald

Atomic1
Level 10K poster

Post by Atomic1 »

However , Fracking is proven to be a player ~ http://www.americanthinker.com/articles ... _down.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And let's not forget Obama and DMC were AGAINST Fracking !