Why Obama's strategy in Iraq/Syria is going to work.

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
Bubba
Site Admin

Re: Why Obama's strategy in Iraq/Syria is going to work.

Post by Bubba »

The following article from The Economist gives some detail on Islamic teaching on Jihad (among other things) but the key take away from this article is really that a move away from extreme interpretations of Islam will take a long time and must come from within.

http://www.economist.com/news/internati ... -2015%7CNA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Christians being killed, homosexuals being thrown off the tops of buildings, thousands of artifacts from antiquity are being destroyed .... sound strategy thus far!
Atomic1
Level 10K poster

Post by Atomic1 »

He is supporting Hamas or the Palestinians when their only goal is to kill Jews. Turns his back on Isreal and supports Iran who has stated they want to " WIPE OUT ISREAL " and he has done as little as he could to stop ISIS. I'm going to call it being an " ANTI-Semitic " !
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

It's kinda like FDR ... didn't make stopping the Nazi's a priority until it was too late.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:It's kinda like FDR ... didn't make stopping the Nazi's a priority until it was too late.
You probably need a history lesson as that's a pretty simplistic and misleading view.

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Bubba wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:It's kinda like FDR ... didn't make stopping the Nazi's a priority until it was too late.
You probably need a history lesson as that's a pretty simplistic and misleading view.
Well, yes. I wasn't going to post a recap of history and all the variables at play, but I do appreciate your eagerness to be condescending. I think we can agree FDR did not, at least initially, make the rise of the Nazi's a priority despite being well-informed (sound familiar). America's Ambassador at the time (mid-30's) was largely ignored by FDR and his cohorts, despite his attempts to advise FDR of the changes in Germany (specifically Berlin).
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
Bubba wrote:
You probably need a history lesson as that's a pretty simplistic and misleading view.that was a bit harsh, his one sentence assessment was not exactly inaccurate...
Well, yes. I wasn't going to post a recap of history and all the variables at play, but I do appreciate your eagerness to be condescending. I think we can agree FDR did not, at least initially, make the rise of the Nazi's a priority despite being well-informed (sound familiar). America's Ambassador at the time (mid-30's) was largely ignored by FDR and his cohorts, despite his attempts to advise FDR of the changes in Germany (specifically Berlin).
US isolationist policy and support for such as well as other domestic issues played a role in the US "lack of intervention" then as well as now... It's always easy to look back in history and make decisions... You'd think w the modern ability to have all that history at one's finger tips some of these decisions might come a little easier...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

You don't want to rush into wars. There was always the chance Hitler would tire of the whole war thing. Same with ISIS maybe they'll see the light, if not we can stop them before they do too much damage like with Hitler.
I Belong A Long Way From Here.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

madhatter wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
Bubba wrote:
You probably need a history lesson as that's a pretty simplistic and misleading view.that was a bit harsh, his one sentence assessment was not exactly inaccurate...
US isolationist policy and support for such as well as other domestic issues played a role in the US "lack of intervention" then as well as now... It's always easy to look back in history and make decisions... You'd think w the modern ability to have all that history at one's finger tips some of these decisions might come a little easier...
You're right, that was a bit harsh, but not intended to be condescending at all. There were an awful lot of factors at play in the 1930s but FDR was not one of those isolationists. In fact, he was trying to assist Britain in resisting Hitler and readying the US for war starting in the mid-1930s. He was up against the historic US isolationist point of view, recovering from the Great Depression and watching the Japanese aggression in Asia all at the same time and had to bring the country along with him. He was battling neo-Nazis and isolationists in this country while doing so as quickly as the country could follow. So, while a bit harsh, the view presented - that FDR didn't make stopping the Nazis a priority until too late - was simplistic and misleading. If you want to find the real culprit guilty of not wanting to stop Hitler early, it would be the British and French, especially British PM Neville Chamberlain.

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

F. Scott Fitzgerald

madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Bubba wrote:
madhatter wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
Bubba wrote:
You're right, that was a bit harsh, but not intended to be condescending at all. There were an awful lot of factors at play in the 1930s but FDR was not one of those isolationists. In fact, he was trying to assist Britain in resisting Hitler and readying the US for war starting in the mid-1930s. He was up against the historic US isolationist point of view, recovering from the Great Depression and watching the Japanese aggression in Asia all at the same time and had to bring the country along with him. He was battling neo-Nazis and isolationists in this country while doing so as quickly as the country could follow. So, while a bit harsh, the view presented - that FDR didn't make stopping the Nazis a priority until too late - was simplistic and misleading. If you want to find the real culprit guilty of not wanting to stop Hitler early, it would be the British and French, especially British PM Neville Chamberlain.
yep, that's more accurate for sure...but try fitting all that on a bumper sticker.... 8)
mach es sehr schnell

freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

Bubba wrote:You're right, that was a bit harsh, but not intended to be condescending at all. There were an awful lot of factors at play in the 1930s but FDR was not one of those isolationists. In fact, he was trying to assist Britain in resisting Hitler and readying the US for war starting in the mid-1930s. He was up against the historic US isolationist point of view, recovering from the Great Depression and watching the Japanese aggression in Asia all at the same time and had to bring the country along with him. He was battling neo-Nazis and isolationists in this country while doing so as quickly as the country could follow. So, while a bit harsh, the view presented - that FDR didn't make stopping the Nazis a priority until too late - was simplistic and misleading. If you want to find the real culprit guilty of not wanting to stop Hitler early, it would be the British and French, especially British PM Neville Chamberlain.
The U.S. was still war-weary from WWI and this was the largest reason for our isolation. FDR had to go around the congress to ramp up our factories (executive order) to arm England and get us ready to enter the war. It's a good thing he did if it was left up to congress we would have entered the war flat footed.
I Belong A Long Way From Here.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

madhatter wrote: yep, that's more accurate for sure...but try fitting all that on a bumper sticker.... 8)
I'm for accuracy over sound bites and bumper stickers; nuance over absolutism; and I recognize that most of the issues in this world are not black and white but various shades of grey. All of that means I'll never run for office, at least successfully. :wink:

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

F. Scott Fitzgerald

Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Obama golf.jpg
Obama golf.jpg (63.61 KiB) Viewed 621 times
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Bibi vs. Barack

http://www.economist.com/news/leaders/2 ... 03-2015|NA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

F. Scott Fitzgerald