Obama wants to CONTROL the Internet

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
Atomic1
Level 10K poster

Obama wants to CONTROL the Internet

Post by Atomic1 »

The Liberals presently CONTROL the media EXCEPT for the Internet . Obama must figure that is how the Free people corresponded to fight the Goverment takeover thus the Republican landslide midterm election results.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/11 ... ane-deals/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regardless of what he say's don't forget the fact that he is a LIAR and once the Gov. gets involved in Internet CONTROL it's the begining of the end !
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Re: Obama wants to CONTROL the Internet

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Atomic1 wrote:The Liberals presently CONTROL the media EXCEPT for the Internet . Obama must figure that is how the Free people corresponded to fight the Goverment takeover thus the Republican landslide midterm election results.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/11 ... ane-deals/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regardless of what he say's don't forget the fact that he is a LIAR and once the Gov. gets involved in Internet CONTROL it's the begining of the end !
Do you know anything about net neutrality? These Republicans sounding off on the issue sound like buffoons. Comparing net neutrality to obamacare is ridiculous.

I'm pro net neutrality. I don't want the ISPs cornering vendors into paying extra for more bandwidth as it increases fees to consumers. It's basically pay to play and will ultimately limit innovation.

If you want to find yourself in a situation where you have to pay for Internet based on posts to this forum then go ahead and don't support Obama/net neutrality.

I'm not an Obama fan, but I don't oppose him for the sake of opposing him. This is an area where I agree with his position.
Atomic1
Level 10K poster

Post by Atomic1 »

Keep the Government OUT of it PERIOD ! Once they get their foot in the door Hold onto your wallet and kiss your freedoms goodbye !
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

I agree with net neutrality and think Obama is right to pursue this. The problem is I don't trust him. "If you want to keep your to keep your internet provider you can keep your internet provider". However the way I understand it is; if net neutrality is done away with companies will be able to pay to have faster connections to the web and that scares me.

Anything Comcast wants I am 100% against. :-)
I Belong A Long Way From Here.
deadheadskier
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by deadheadskier »

Atomic, please give a sensible answer to why you are against Net Neutrality.

Do you even know what it is?
Atomic1
Level 10K poster

Post by Atomic1 »

deadheadskier wrote:Atomic, please give a sensible answer to why you are against Net Neutrality.

Yes I read what it is, I heard what Obama said, HOWEVER I don't trust Obama, and don't want another Gov. control . Do you not realize "net neutrality" as proposed by Obama is an attempt to limit free speech and increase Gov. control ! Thats all Obama wants ! Did you not watch the White House proposing to put government regulators in the editorial offices of newspapers to "monitor and advise" the newspapers on content? If you want real "net neutrality" I suggest you put on one of those Dr. Evil shirts and move to China where all Internet traffic is censored by the government.
Five or six years ago when I said all the Negative things about Obama and his Administration I was told to take off my tin foil hat etc... Well since then many of " the chickens have come home to roost " and thankfully MOST people see it for what it is ! So basically it's " Lie to me once , shame on you but lie to me twice and I don't believe anything you say " .
Last edited by Atomic1 on Nov 11th, '14, 07:40, edited 2 times in total.
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

Atomic1 wrote:The Liberals presently CONTROL the media EXCEPT for the Internet .
So, your fear is the Liberals controlling the internet?

Guess what? If Net Neutrality is not maintained, what you greatly fear here is exactly what will happen. Net Neutrality is designed to PREVENT special interests (read: corporations, either liberal or conservative) from having fee based usage control across the internet from the suppliers of the information to the consumers of information.

Just take Obama out of the situation for a second and read this through with an open mind.

This is the exact opposite of the Government "controlling the internet" like you fear. It's about keeping the internet open and equal for everyone.
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

Atomic1 wrote:
deadheadskier wrote:Atomic, please give a sensible answer to why you are against Net Neutrality.

Do you not realize "net neutrality" as proposed by Obama is an attempt to limit free speech and increase Gov. control !
:lol:

Where are you getting your information from? It is the exact opposite. If you don't trust Obama, I would trust the sources of the information you are reading even less if they have lead you to believe the above. You have been been fed and gobbled up a huge fat lie if you believe the above concerning Net Neutrality.
Atomic1
Level 10K poster

Post by Atomic1 »

deadheadskier wrote:
Atomic1 wrote:

Do you not realize "net neutrality" as proposed by Obama is an attempt to limit free speech and increase Gov. control !

Where are you getting your information from? It is the exact opposite. If you don't trust Obama, I would trust the sources of the information you are reading even less if they have lead you to believe the above. You have been been fed and gobbled up a huge fat lie if you believe the above concerning Net Neutrality.

We shall see, but I beleive the Gov. will tax and contol it to death ! Why else would they get involved .
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

deadheadskier wrote:
Atomic1 wrote:

the misunderstanding comes from the fact that the obama appointed FCC commissioner , wheeler, and the FCC proposed regulations that do in fact allow for "fast lanes" etc... Obama has stated he is opposed to such regulation however....Mostly this is purely a political move intended to raise the ire of republicans in congress that are opposed to growth of govt regulation and potential overreach...Obama can look like a champion of the little guy and/or paint republicans as for the "corporations"...Republicans would be wise to largely step aside as the FCC is an independent agency and their scope is mostly not subject to congressional approval or intervention...

The problem here is that under the guise of govt guaranteed openness and fairness the potential for abuse is always hiding in the shadows... determining that any "legitimate", legal content be treated fairly and equally requires someone to decide what is "legitimate and legal" vs what is not... Those who decide that are the potential abusers... IRS anyone?

"Net neutrality is Obamacare for the Internet," said Senator Ted Cruz of Texas. "It puts the government in charge of determining Internet pricing, terms of service, and what types of products and services can be delivered." -reuters

always a hidden agenda...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

Atomic1 wrote:
deadheadskier wrote:
Atomic1 wrote:

We shall see, but I beleive the Gov. will tax and contol it to death ! Why else would they get involved .
You didn't answer my question. Where are you getting your information that this is a play by the government to limit free speech?
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

deadheadskier wrote:
Atomic1 wrote:
deadheadskier wrote:
Atomic1 wrote:

You didn't answer my question. Where are you getting your information that this is a play by the government to limit free speech?
I already answered this....
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Atomic1
Level 10K poster

Post by Atomic1 »

Here is a link to someones view of the issue who explains it better than I can and whom I agree with >

http://www.washingtonpost.com/postevery ... -internet/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is a paragraph that jumped out at me from a "Weekley Standard " article .
" But the answer is not regulations imposing net neutrality. You can already smell the mandates and the loopholes once Congress gets involved. Think special, high-speed priority for campaign commercials or educational videos about global warming. Or roadblocks--like requiring emergency 911 service--to try to kill off free Internet telephone services such as Skype. And who knows what else? Network neutrality won't be the laissez-faire sandbox its supporters think, but more like used kitty litter. We all know that regulations beget more lobbyists. I'd rather let the market sort these things out without gov. control . "
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

One can conjure up arguments on both sides of this issue, but to start off with "Obama wants to CONTROL the Internet" and then continue with such nonsensical comments as these just makes you look absurd.

"Keep the Government OUT of it PERIOD ! Once they get their foot in the door Hold onto your wallet and kiss your freedoms goodbye !"
"Do you not realize "net neutrality" as proposed by Obama is an attempt to limit free speech and increase Gov. control ! Thats all Obama wants !"

The fact of the matter is that there are arguments to be made either way - reasonable, sensible, logical, fact based arguments - not the (shall we say) less than astute BS you're posting.

Arguments for net neutrality include:

The internet is an essential service today and playing favorites based on pricing is inherently discriminatory.
The internet is more and more like a utility service and should be governed as such.

Arguments against net neutrality include:

Regulated utilities earn regulated returns and limited funds will deter further improvements.
Regulated utilities are not innovators and innovation is what the internet is all about.

Personally, I understand the pro but lean more toward the con based on my experience with regulated electric and gas utilities and markets and our 30 year experience with telecom services since the breakup of ATT.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Atomic1
Level 10K poster

Post by Atomic1 »

Bubba your very eloquent in your response and I commend you for it . However how many times have you said " my reasoning is absurd" only to later see both sides as well. Bottom line for me is that I refuse to want to surrender my freedoms to Big Brother . Period.....oh yea it was getting quiet in here so I felt the need to stoke :wink: