Antonin Scalia

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
Bubba
Site Admin

Re: Antonin Scalia

Post by Bubba »

freeski wrote:https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won ... eave-town/ I can see getting reimbursed by a college to travel and lecture, but this needs to be looked at. These are very influential government employees. Check out the graph of the number of Scalia's travels and who's paying. :shock:
Is it a surprise that a conservative justice would be asked to speak (and be reimbursed for doing so) at a conservative organization? Is it a surprise that a liberal justice would have the same invitations from liberal organizations? I see no conflict. Furthermore, as long as the travel, etc. is disclosed properly and the justices avoid speaking about current or potential court cases, they are well within their rights to travel and speak so I'm not sure where you see a problem.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

The bar is if someone does something as a favor in return for money, gifts, etc. For a Supreme Court Justice the bar should be do not accept favors for anyone or organization who could potentially ever have business before the court. A third of the expenses were from outside organizations. One of the organizations that paid for Scalia's trips had a case dismissed by the court. Why would a powerful person want to wine, dine or pay expenses for these guys? One of the groups was a reproductive group. Think they're looking for anything.The justices make over a quarter million a year; not huge for lawyers, but still. Scalia traveled over 20 time a year on someone else's dime? I just find that shocking.
I Belong A Long Way From Here.
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Forever .. Goat Path
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

From Time Magazine on-line

Here’s Why Obama Might Pick a Republican Governor for Supreme Court

http://time.com/4236001/brian-sandoval- ... tter-brief" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe