2020 election - who do you want to see run and win?

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
deadheadskier
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

2020 election - who do you want to see run and win?

Post by deadheadskier »

Most agree, our options are lousy in 2016 and the nation is divided. It's a race for the candidate people least dislike.

Regardless of who wins, I think we can do better in 2020. Neither Clinton nor Trump deserve the four years one of them will get, nevermind 8.

Who do you want to see four years from now?

My answer is Charlie Baker
boston_e
Postaholic

Re: 2020 election - who do you want to see run and win?

Post by boston_e »

Charlie Baker would be a great choice IMO.

It will never happen though, he is far to moderate on social issues to make it through the republican primary....or he would have to take a hard right turn on some of those issues (which to me would make hims somewhat less appealing).

Further down the road I'll make a long shot prediction that Seth Moulton will be in the POTUS mix.
Don't Killington Pico
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

Guess my hope is that the right eventually starts to moderate on social issues (which the younger generation seems to be doing) and the left moderates on fiscal issues.
Roe vs Wade was decided before I was born. Maybe some greater restrictions are needed, but the focus should be on education and access to BC not overturning the law. Gay marriage has been settled and the far right needs to let it go. We have economic problems that have the potential and likely will get worse. The left needs to accept this and adopt more business friendly policy.

It's only been two years, but Baker has done a great job at not dividing people and making everything us vs them / D vs R. His approval ratings really prove that success out.

After the general, I think the RNC should really try to draft him as he would win over most independents and a lot of Democrats too.

I do like Moulton a lot, but I think he would get smeared big time on his vocal gun stance even if his views are actually similar to Baker on the subject. Baker has a keen sense of when to be vocal and when to take a measured approach as to not piss people off.
Dickc
Postaholic

Post by Dickc »

deadheadskier wrote:Guess my hope is that the right eventually starts to moderate on social issues (which the younger generation seems to be doing) and the left moderates on fiscal issues.
Roe vs Wade was decided before I was born. Maybe some greater restrictions are needed, but the focus should be on education and access to BC not overturning the law. Gay marriage has been settled and the far right needs to let it go. We have economic problems that have the potential and likely will get worse. The left needs to accept this and adopt more business friendly policy.

It's only been two years, but Baker has done a great job at not dividing people and making everything us vs them / D vs R. His approval ratings really prove that success out.

After the general, I think the RNC should really try to draft him as he would win over most independents and a lot of Democrats too.

I do like Moulton a lot, but I think he would get smeared big time on his vocal gun stance even if his views are actually similar to Baker on the subject. Baker has a keen sense of when to be vocal and when to take a measured approach as to not piss people off.
While many would think this to be the sensible way to go, I am afraid that both parties will continue to be run by the "lunatic fringe". I would, especially this year, love to see a none of the above on the ballot. It should become law so that should it win, all parties MUST come up with new candidates and have a new election on the first Tuesday in March. This would give four months to find, select, and campaign new candidates. I really think that until the average Joe has a chance to say NO!!!, we will be stuck with bad choices. It should NOT be on the March ballot however as having the process repeat a few times will be just as bad.

Moulton is decent, but I disagree on the assault weapon stance. I really feel that the amendments to our Constitution should be taken more seriously. They should be more blanket, and much more restrictive on government.
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

That's a good idea.

Here's a question though. Would the "no" option be available on the March ballot as well? If so, the unintended consequences could be prolonging the term of a sitting President.

Also because such a system would shorten the term of a President on the front end, do you lengthen the term on the back end?

I definitely do like the idea. Especially this year.

Can candidate "No" have a superpac run adds against the competing candidates? That could make for some hilarious commercials.
Dickc
Postaholic

Post by Dickc »

deadheadskier wrote:That's a good idea.

Here's a question though. Would the "no" option be available on the March ballot as well? If so, the unintended consequences could be prolonging the term of a sitting President.

Also because such a system would shorten the term of a President on the front end, do you lengthen the term on the back end?

I definitely do like the idea. Especially this year.

Can candidate "No" have a superpac run adds against the competing candidates? That could make for some hilarious commercials.
My last line above the Moulton comment is that it should NOT be on the March ballot.
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

Missed that. Thanks
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Dickc wrote:
deadheadskier wrote:Guess my hope is that the right eventually starts to moderate on social issues (which the younger generation seems to be doing) and the left moderates on fiscal issues.

While many would think this to be the sensible way to go, I am afraid that both parties will continue to be run by the "lunatic fringe". I would, especially this year, love to see a none of the above on the ballot. It should become law so that should it win, all parties MUST come up with new candidates and have a new election on the first Tuesday in March. This would give four months to find, select, and campaign new candidates. I really think that until the average Joe has a chance to say NO!!!, we will be stuck with bad choices. It should NOT be on the March ballot however as having the process repeat a few times will be just as bad.

Moulton is decent, but I disagree on the assault weapon stance. I really feel that the amendments to our Constitution should be taken more seriously. They should be more blanket, and much more restrictive on government.
Better start working on the required Constitutional Amendment now.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Dickc
Postaholic

Post by Dickc »

Bubba wrote:Better start working on the required Constitutional Amendment now.
I cannot be bothered at my age, but you are welcome to do it!!!! :barebutt: :banana: :mrgreen: :bang