Gary Johnson vs Aleppo

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice

What is Aleppo?

Poll ended at Oct 8th, '16, 13:16

I have never heard of it prior to this thread.
8%
I never heard of it prior to yesterday (9/7) or today having heard the Johnson story on the news.
31%
I totally knew the place prior to Wednesday September 8 and its relevance in Syria's war.
62%

Total votes: 13

Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Re: Gary Johnson vs Aleppo

Post by Mister Moose »

The just released ABC/Washington Post poll shows Johnson holding at 9%. He seems to have weathered the Aleppo debacle, but he will not make it onto the first debate stage.

I looked back on the child bombing survivor photo articles, I remember reading the article in a scanning fashion. Aleppo is mentioned, so it seems my memory absorbed what I was looking for in relevant details, which didn't include the name of the city. The story (to me) was the child, the bomb, the war, not so much the name of the city.

I wonder if you did a man on the street poll now and asked what Aleppo was, would more say it was a war torn city in Syria, or would more say it's the city Gary Johnson blew an interview question on?

Or would they know Aleppo and forget who the guy was that bungled the question?
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Mister Moose wrote:The just released ABC/Washington Post poll shows Johnson holding at 9%. He seems to have weathered the Aleppo debacle, but he will not make it onto the first debate stage.

I looked back on the child bombing survivor photo articles, I remember reading the article in a scanning fashion. Aleppo is mentioned, so it seems my memory absorbed what I was looking for in relevant details, which didn't include the name of the city. The story (to me) was the child, the bomb, the war, not so much the name of the city.

I wonder if you did a man on the street poll now and asked what Aleppo was, would more say it was a war torn city in Syria, or would more say it's the city Gary Johnson blew an interview question on?

all johnson had to say was " I'm not sure I understand the question" or "I'm not exactly sure what you are asking" making it likely that the question was repeated w regards to the humanitarian crisis there....and he'd have a good shot at that 15%...

meanwhile HRC is dropping like a lost shoe...2.0 and 1.8 nationally in the RCP avg 2/4 way poll respectively...tightening up in a lot of battleground states too...and while one can never trust the polls, they rarely portray a republican as being in better shape than they really are....
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

I tend to read a lot of news articles about conflict in the world especially since Obama has weakened our projection of force in the world. So I at least skim around 3 articles about Aleppo a week. When you hear about gas and "barrel bombs" this is usually the place. Hopefully the new cease fire can cut back on the violence, butt Putin has won in this part of the world.
I Belong A Long Way From Here.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Mister Moose wrote:The just released ABC/Washington Post poll shows Johnson holding at 9%. He seems to have weathered the Aleppo debacle, but he will not make it onto the first debate stage.

If you ask the average "man in the street" who won the Civil War or who fought in WW II, you're probably going to get a good percentage with no clue about those events either. I expect more from a presidential candidate.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Bubba wrote:If you ask the average "man in the street" who won the Civil War or who fought in WW II, you're probably going to get a good percentage with no clue about those events either. I expect more from a presidential candidate.
Each day on my phone I get NYT daily briefing, which includes ~5 of the main trending stories. Just reading these on a daily basis one would know what Aleppo is.
Sgt Eddy Brewers
Slalom Racer

Post by Sgt Eddy Brewers »

I think maybe Mr. Moose wanted to remind us that there are some good things about Johnson when contrasted with the two major candidates and the Aleppo blunder should be put in context? In some ways I agree but.... Syria is a REALLY big deal in the world and Aleppo would be part of any adequate briefing on that topic.

A person could be pretty damn well-read and not remember Aleppo but someone running for president ought not to have been that confused. Not a deal-breaker but pretty shaky?
Ski the edges!