Refugees coming to Rutland

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Re: Refugees coming to Rutland

Post by SnoBrdr »

freeski wrote:You don't understand what Mr. Moose is saying. His point is it would be stupid to bring in refugees from a country we're at war with. Didn't the US play a major role in setting up Israel? What has Israel had to say about the genocide against Christians in the Middle East. Nothing...
No the US didn't support the establishment of Israel from the beginning.

Truman waited for over a year to support the move and did so as he feared the Russians would take over the Middle East.

https://www.trumanlibrary.org/israel/palestin.htm
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

It's always odd to me when I hear people talk about the founding of our nation for religious freedom (primarily by sects of Christianity, but debatable) ... most sects encourage responding to those fleeing violence and persecution with compassion and hospitality. The latter part seems to often be forgotten.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:It's always odd to me when I hear people talk about the founding of our nation for religious freedom (primarily by sects of Christianity, but debatable) ... most sects encourage responding to those fleeing violence and persecution with compassion and hospitality. The latter part seems to often be forgotten.
But these people are different...they're not like us...they don't have our values...they don't assimilate. (You know, like the Irish, or the Italians, or Jews...)
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Guy in Shorts »

Pretty sure that they would very supportive of choice of prayer in the public schools. Loses my support if the choice is pray to Allah or be beheaded.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Bubba wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:It's always odd to me when I hear people talk about the founding of our nation for religious freedom (primarily by sects of Christianity, but debatable) ... most sects encourage responding to those fleeing violence and persecution with compassion and hospitality. The latter part seems to often be forgotten.
But these people are different...they're not like us...they don't have our values...they don't assimilate. (You know, like the Irish, or the Italians, or Jews...)
:lol: :lol:

Last week I went from a run from mid-town across the brooklyn bridge and back ... I'd say there are quite a few (looking at the businesses I saw) that aren't necessarily assimilating and are doing well and getting along just fine.
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

If the numbers were good the government would be sharing how many have found work. :D :D Obama is doing what he can to hide everything he can about the refugee program. Even hiding information from the state governments where he's sending them. :D :D
I Belong A Long Way From Here.
shortski
Site Admin

Post by shortski »

SnoBrdr wrote:
Bubba wrote:Are you equating an attack on a single woman walking alone in a region of war and instability to people who would come here under the refugee resettlement program?

I really find it hard to accept that people in a nation of immigrants can harbor such fear and hatred of other potential immigrants; people who risked their lives to escape disaster in their home countries.
She was more the victim of a robbery than a terror attack.
Wow thanks for clearing that up do she's dead from the not so bad death...

Refugees not buying it, specially in the way it was done behind closed doors and with no community input.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

shortski wrote:
SnoBrdr wrote:
Bubba wrote:Are you equating an attack on a single woman walking alone in a region of war and instability to people who would come here under the refugee resettlement program?

I really find it hard to accept that people in a nation of immigrants can harbor such fear and hatred of other potential immigrants; people who risked their lives to escape disaster in their home countries.

Refugees not buying it, specially in the way it was done behind closed doors and with no community input.
Agree on how it was handled and it will cost Louras votes when/if he runs again.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Bubba wrote:
shortski wrote:
SnoBrdr wrote:

Agree on how it was handled and it will cost Louras votes when/if he runs again.
well if it's up to the populace there are no refugee programs so clearly the populace can't be allowed to decide what they want... we have the likes of hopey dope and louras to decide that for us...for another week or so anyway...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

freeski wrote:If the numbers were good the government would be sharing how many have found work. :D :D Obama is doing what he can to hide everything he can about the refugee program. Even hiding information from the state governments where he's sending them. :D :D
IMHO, most are probably working for cash under the table ... hard to get solid numbers that way.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
freeski wrote:If the numbers were good the government would be sharing how many have found work. :D :D Obama is doing what he can to hide everything he can about the refugee program. Even hiding information from the state governments where he's sending them. :D :D
IMHO, most are probably working for cash under the table ... hard to get solid numbers that way.
and we need that here why? there's no upside to refugee's coming here that I can see and certainly no need to expedite or otherwise encourage the process...there's no population shortage, no labor shortage and no shortage of unemployable lifetime wards of the state...we are 100+ years beyond needing to fulfill our "manifest destiny"....any resources allocated ( and lets make those less too) s/b directed towards resolving the issues they are fleeing so they can remain there vs fleeing to some place where most of the people do not want them...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

No labor shortage? What's going on at Killington then? Maybe we can get some Syrian refugees to come in at 5am and start driving the lifts.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

daytripper wrote:No labor shortage? What's going on at Killington then? Maybe we can get some Syrian refugees to come in at 5am and start driving the lifts.
that's not a labor shortage that's a shortage of people willing to work...not sure how we fix that...maybe that can be part of the screening process: " will you work for min wage in the freezing cold from 5am til 5pm every weekend and holiday? powder days too...then we'll lay you off...oh and we'll throw in a ski pass too, but ya can't use it on weekends, holidays, powder days, early season or after we lay you off..."
mach es sehr schnell

XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

madhatter wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
and we need that here why? there's no upside to refugee's coming here that I can see and certainly no need to expedite or otherwise encourage the process...there's no population shortage, no labor shortage and no shortage of unemployable lifetime wards of the state...we are 100+ years beyond needing to fulfill our "manifest destiny"....any resources allocated ( and lets make those less too) s/b directed towards resolving the issues they are fleeing so they can remain there vs fleeing to some place where most of the people do not want them...
Refugees are cheap labor. All the minimum wages places I visit have help wanted signs ... it's either a labor shortage or just a coincidence. However, I'm sure some shortages are localized and some much broader.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
madhatter wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
Refugees are cheap labor. All the minimum wages places I visit have help wanted signs ... it's either a labor shortage or just a coincidence. However, I'm sure some shortages are localized and some much broader.
http://www.cnbc.com/2016/12/02/95-milli ... force.html
mach es sehr schnell