Trump Presidency

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Re: Trump Presidency

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Kpdemello wrote:How do you know what most are doing? A couple of stories here or there doesn't come close to a comprehensive analysis of what is actually happening.
It's in the news ... what the big boys are doing ... Fortune 50.
Kpdemello wrote:I do tend to suspect that this tax cut isn't going to do much to spur business growth, but I'd like to see some actual studies of the real impact (and I'd love to be wrong). Unfortunately what we will have instead are people yelling at each other about how good/bad the tax cut was for everyone, and pointing to various indicators to make their largely illogical points.

Meanwhile, the budget is screwed for the next 10 years and us, our kids, and grandkids will pay the price down the road.
GWB, Obama, Trump ... killing us financially.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

madhatter wrote:WalMart Raises Starting Wage To $11, Provides One-Time Bonus Following Trump Tax Reform
Meanwhile Sam's Club later in the day announces the closing of 10% of its stores.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Bubba wrote:
madhatter wrote:WalMart Raises Starting Wage To $11, Provides One-Time Bonus Following Trump Tax Reform
Meanwhile Sam's Club later in the day announces the closing of 10% of its stores.
Shortly after, the company issued a statement, stating that the number of stores for closure is somewhat lower, at 63, if still a sizable number. That compares with a total of five wholesale club stores the company has closed since fiscal 2013, securities filings show.

Ten to 12 of the closed stores could be converted to e-commerce facilities, the spokesperson said. The news is consistent with Sam's Club's ongoing plans to optimize its stores to fulfill more online orders and keep pace with internet retailers such as Boxed.
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
I am pro-tax cuts, pro small gov't, etc. However, I struggle with how the corporation are using now excess capital. Most, at least so far, appear to be returning crumbs to their employees and massive stock buybacks to their investors. I'd be curious what results in more improvements for the economy .... the $1,000 one time bonus, $15,000 one time bonus (e.g., in lieu of Walmart's Q4 $20B stock buyback), or a stock buyback.
We didn't finish our prior discussion - but to summarize I think you are looking in the wrong place.

1) Is it really the majority of companies doing this, or just a few in the news?
2) What does it say when any company pays labor (essentially a commodity) a higher than market rate?
3) What does it say when companies place capital in places other than development, research, operations, or expansion?

I think what is good for the economy is

The number of people as a ratio to the total population that are in the work force. This is the most basic measurement of productivity.
The number of people as a ratio to the total population that are willing to work harder than 40 hours.
The number of people that are working hard that constantly think about innovation, making something better somehow, and are motivated to take action.
The number of people that build things vs consume things. IE it's better to build houses and highways than make candy bars.
Balanced trade, balanced budgets, and balanced tax rates when compared to our competition*. Or (gasp) better than that; tipped in our favor.
A tax system, education system, and media outlook that recognizes the importance, encourages and incentivizes the above.

So apply that to my questions.

For instance, I think paying labor higher than market wages is either a move to improve your labor force by attracting the best of the best, or in the case of a one time event that does not improve your labor force it is a PR move, just like cow power to power K1, or AT&T's announced $1,000 bonus.

I think there is a lot of looking in the wrong places when it comes to describing or improving the economy. Like blaming the wealthy.

*Competition can consist of other states, other countries, or simply choosing not to work or take risks because the tax/regulatory burden is too high.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

https://theblacksphere.net/2018/01/fusi ... -campaign/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fusion GPS ADMITS No INSIDE MOLE in Trump Campaign

gee no way? :roll:
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Coydog
Guru Poster

Post by Coydog »

madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Coydog wrote:United States of America v. GEORGE PAPADOPOULOS, Defendant (PDF)

Nothing to see here.
correct

For instance, the Post reported that when Papadopoulos sent an an email about meeting with Russia to Paul Manafort, the new campaign chair, "Manafort reacted coolly, forwarding the email to his associate Rick Gates, with a note, ‘We need someone to communicate that DT is not doing these trips.’"

Ultimately, no meeting occurred.

good luck w yer fantasy...
mach es sehr schnell

Coydog
Guru Poster

Post by Coydog »

US Justice Department wrote: The government notes that the official forwarded defendant PAPADOPOULOS's email to another Campaign official (without including defendant PAPADOPOULOS) and stated: "Let[']s discuss. We need someone to communicate that DT is not doing these trips. It should be someone low level in the campaign so as not to send any signal."
A member of Gump's campaign, one of his foreign policy advisers, meets with a Russian connection about "dirt" on Clinton in the form of thousands of emails and then lies about it when questioned by the FBI. Kinda does sound like fantasy, but then so is the world of Gump.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Coydog wrote:
US Justice Department wrote: The government notes that the official forwarded defendant PAPADOPOULOS's email to another Campaign official (without including defendant PAPADOPOULOS) and stated: "Let[']s discuss. We need someone to communicate that DT is not doing these trips. It should be someone low level in the campaign so as not to send any signal."
A member of Gump's campaign, one of his foreign policy advisers, meets with a Russian connection about "dirt" on Clinton in the form of thousands of emails and then lies about it when questioned by the FBI. Kinda does sound like fantasy, but then so is the world of Gump.
keep us posted :roll:
mach es sehr schnell

Coydog
Guru Poster

Post by Coydog »

madhatter wrote:keep us posted :roll:
About collusion, obstruction of justice, money laundering, sexual misconduct, racist slurs or helping Democrats get elected in deep Red states? That's a lot to keep track of.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Coydog wrote:
madhatter wrote:keep us posted :roll:
About collusion, obstruction of justice, money laundering, sexual misconduct, racist slurs or helping Democrats get elected in deep Red states? That's a lot to keep track of.
Hillaryous...

here's all you need to know...

mach es sehr schnell

Coydog
Guru Poster

Post by Coydog »

Or just be patient and vote, he'll be gone soon enough.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Coydog wrote:Or just be patient and vote, he'll be gone soon enough.
yep the next 7 years gonna fly right by...how old ya gonna be then? probably best not to waste those years pining away for hillary...
mach es sehr schnell

Coydog
Guru Poster

Post by Coydog »

madhatter wrote:
yep the next 7 years gonna fly right by...how old ya gonna be then? probably best not to waste those years pining away for hillary...
Like 80% of Americans, I'll be busy trying to figure out how to best invest my tax cut.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Coydog wrote:
madhatter wrote:
Like 80% of Americans, I'll be busy trying to figure out how to best invest my tax cut.
employee bonuses? Cadillac HC plan for them? company ski trip to chamonix? donate it to apply to the national debt? charitable contribution to the madhatter ski fund? invest in creating the worlds largest returnable bottle collection? the possibilities are nearly endless thanks to our wonderful president... :banana: :banana: :banana:
mach es sehr schnell