Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
Dickc
Postaholic

Re: Supreme Court Nominee

Post by Dickc »

boston_e wrote:
freeski wrote:Thanks Harry Reid.
As mentioned... plenty of blame to go around:

I know you will likely blame Harry Reid and the Democrats for this but read the following and tell me it's wrong before you do. (note that I am not a big Rachel Maddow fan either, but there is some truth to this).

In case anyone’s forgotten, there were, at the time, multiple vacancies on the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals, one of the nation’s most important benches, and President Obama nominated three qualified jurists, each of whom enjoyed majority support in the Senate.

Senate Republicans blocked the trio, filibustering each of the nominations.

GOP senators didn’t raise any specific objections to the jurists, but rather, said they didn’t want Obama to appoint anyone to the appellate court, ever. Republicans presented a demand never before heard in American history: the Senate must ignore the vacancies on one of the nation’s most important courts, indefinitely, because a minority of the chamber said so.

When Democrats noted how insane that was, GOP senators effectively dared the majority to do something about it. So, left with no choice, the Democratic majority turned to the “nuclear option” – a strategy Republican senators themselves crafted during the Bush/Cheney era.

GOP senators continue to characterize themselves as the victims of the events in 2013. That’s bonkers; they were the instigators of an ugly and unnecessary fight.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-s...d=sm_fb_maddow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And this, along with Merrick Garland are why we are here today.... As mentioned before, I think both sides will end up regretting the day that it came to this.
This is fake news. The Republicans were more than willing to let these judges reach the Senate floor, but only AFTER Harry Reid let legislation from the house onto the Senate floor. Reid would not let ANYTHING onto the floor that had a remote chance of embarrassing Obama into using the veto. Do some homework before you blame the Republicans. This was ALL HARRY REID.
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

Dickc wrote:
boston_e wrote:

I know you will likely blame Harry Reid and the Democrats for this but read the following and tell me it's wrong before you do. (note that I am not a big Rachel Maddow fan either, but there is some truth to this).

In case anyone’s forgotten, there were, at the time, multiple vacancies on the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals, one of the nation’s most important benches, and President Obama nominated three qualified jurists, each of whom enjoyed majority support in the Senate.

GOP senators didn’t raise any specific objections to the jurists, but rather, said they didn’t want Obama to appoint anyone to the appellate court, ever. Republicans presented a demand never before heard in American history: the Senate must ignore the vacancies on one of the nation’s most important courts, indefinitely, because a minority of the chamber said so.

When Democrats noted how insane that was, GOP senators effectively dared the majority to do something about it. So, left with no choice, the Democratic majority turned to the “nuclear option” – a strategy Republican senators themselves crafted during the Bush/Cheney era.

GOP senators continue to characterize themselves as the victims of the events in 2013. That’s bonkers; they were the instigators of an ugly and unnecessary fight.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-s...d=sm_fb_maddow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And this, along with Merrick Garland are why we are here today.... As mentioned before, I think both sides will end up regretting the day that it came to this.
This is fake news. The Republicans were more than willing to let these judges reach the Senate floor, but only AFTER Harry Reid let legislation from the house onto the Senate floor. Reid would not let ANYTHING onto the floor that had a remote chance of embarrassing Obama into using the veto. Do some homework before you blame the Republicans. This was ALL HARRY REID.
Harry Reid gets a piece of the blame pie for sure... But if you think the republicans bear no responsibility you are looking at it from a very one sided perspective.

Everyone loses in the race to the bottom.
Don't Killington Pico
shortski
Site Admin

Post by shortski »

boston_e wrote:
Dickc wrote:
boston_e wrote:

Harry Reid gets a piece of the blame pie for sure... But if you think the republicans bear no responsibility you are looking at it from a very one sided perspective.

Everyone loses in the race to the bottom.
Right now the Democrats are looking up and all they see is the bottom. They did it to themselves and continue to do so.

I hope they stick with their game plan, it's working very well...for the Republicans.

With the new DNC leadership I see the death of the Democratic Party. Wouldn't be surprised to see a name change to something along the line of the Progressive Party or some variation, as a way to distance themselves from the disaster of the last election
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-04-0 ... reme-court" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Supreme Court Justice Neil Gorsuch...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

Will this pave the way to ending the filibuster for legislation as well?

Is that the slippery slope we are on?
Don't Killington Pico
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

boston_e wrote:Will this pave the way to ending the filibuster for legislation as well?

probably...

funny how quickly the tables turned....two years ago D's were talking about absolute power and EO's etc etc and many on the right warned that this would come back to bite em in the @ss...people laughed, the same way they laughed about trump as a candidate...

in any case this is preferable over any extension of the obamatrocities via HRC...just not having to listen to liberals constantly proclaim that they are coming for us and we are powerless to stand up to them is enough for me to be happy...

very happy about the change in the court makeup away from left leaning activist judges...this will eliminate a lot of the frivolous lefty lawsuits that are simply designed to obstruct the progress of the opposition party when votes can't make a difference...

this a is a big win for the right even though it's just an extension of the fruits of Novembers election...

no worries though for our lefty friends as we don't care what you do and have no intention on " coming after you", all we ever wanted was to simply be free from leftists and their "ideas so great that they're mandatory" .......by all means feel free to gather up like minded individuals and do whatever you like, we'll not sic teh IRS, MSM on you...we'll not protest outside your businesses, destroy your towns private and public property nor will we seek to impose our will upon you....

as far as the democrat party it'll either remedy itself or eliminate itself...a viable opposition party is what makes america great, one party rule is never a good thing...especially when that aprty seeks to eliminate the opposition by any means available...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Coydog
Guru Poster

Post by Coydog »

boston_e wrote:Will this pave the way to ending the filibuster for legislation as well?

Yep. Right now the Republicans think they'll be in power forever. But when the tables turn - and they surely will turn - ending the legislative filibuster would be the quickest way to implement favorite progressive programs like single payer. Imagine the howling then.

The Senate seems to be on the path of transforming themselves into the House only with longer terms.

Gorsuch is more Scalia-lite than Scalia-like - either way, he doesn't really change the character of SCOTUS as constituted with Scalia, though if Gump gets to nominate 1 or 2 more, that will change things for a long time to come. On the other hand, we all remember Roberts essentially rescuing the ACA and conservatives everywhere felt betrayed. Sometimes a cigar is not just a cigar.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Coydog wrote:

Yep. Right now the Republicans think they'll be in power forever. hardly but I'm not sure that "progressivism" will be the unseating of them...It;s going to take a very different D party than the one we have now...But when the tables turn - and they surely will turn - ending the legislative filibuster rather see some D's peeled off from the monolith...legislative filibuster isn't exactly on the agenda...nothing I want to see either...would be the quickest way to implement favorite progressive programs like single payer. Imagine the howling then.

The Senate seems to be on the path of transforming themselves into the House only with longer terms.

Gorsuch is more Scalia-lite than Scalia-like - he's not kagan or sotomayor like at all...either way, he doesn't really change the character of SCOTUS as constituted with Scalia, though if Gump gets to nominate 1 or 2 more, that will change things for a long time to come. On the other hand, we all remember Roberts essentially rescuing the ACA and conservatives everywhere felt betrayed. Sometimes a cigar is not just a cigar.
if gorsuch is what he is proclaimed to be, then 1-2 more of those would be just great for everyone...
mach es sehr schnell

Coydog
Guru Poster

Post by Coydog »

shortski wrote:
Right now the Democrats are looking up and all they see is the bottom. They did it to themselves and continue to do so.

I hope they stick with their game plan, it's working very well...for the Republicans.

With the new DNC leadership I see the death of the Democratic Party. Wouldn't be surprised to see a name change to something along the line of the Progressive Party or some variation, as a way to distance themselves from the disaster of the last election
And I hope Gump continues his apparent progression of silencing right wingnuts like Bannon while bestowing ever increasing power to rich New York liberals like Kushner and Ivanka. Wonder what his supporters think about that?
Nikoli
Poster Child Poster

Post by Nikoli »

Coydog wrote:
shortski wrote:

And I hope Gump continues his apparent progression of silencing right wingnuts like Bannon while bestowing ever increasing power to rich New York liberals like Kushner and Ivanka. Wonder what his supporters think about that?
increasing power to rich New York liberals - Count me in!
And the sea will grant each man new hope . . .
-Christopher Columbus
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

Coydog wrote: I hope Gump continues his apparent progression of silencing right wingnuts like Bannon while bestowing ever increasing power to rich New York liberals like Kushner and Ivanka. Wonder what his supporters think about that?
Yea, I don't like Bannon having any federal power. I don't believe all of the left's accusations, but I don't like him. I also don't understand Kushner's role. Yes, he has a history of being left of center.

The closer Trump is to the middle the happier I am.
I Belong A Long Way From Here.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

freeski wrote:
Coydog wrote: I hope Gump continues his apparent progression of silencing right wingnuts like Bannon while bestowing ever increasing power to rich New York liberals like Kushner and Ivanka. Wonder what his supporters think about that?
Yea, I don't like Bannon having any federal power. I don't believe all of the left's accusations, but I don't like him. I also don't understand Kushner's role. Yes, he has a history of being left of center.

The closer Trump is to the middle the happier I am.
it's why he was elected...
mach es sehr schnell

madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

mach es sehr schnell