Hope the Rutland Mayor election does not hurt Killington

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
GSKI
Powderhound

Hope the Rutland Mayor election does not hurt Killington

Post by GSKI »

and the region. Sadly many of those Killington/Rutland folks are sure an intolerant bunch of xenophobic deplorables! Hope none of the people who voted for the new mayor are K skiers! This makes the entire region simply look bad. I would hate for skiers from other states to boycott the area due to its intolerance.

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/stor ... /98927540/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rutland mayor: Syrian refugee plan cost him re-election

WILSON RING, Associated Press Published 7:05 p.m. ET March 8, 2017 | Updated 9:24 a.m. ET March 9, 2017

RUTLAND - The mayor of Rutland, who was handily defeated in his bid for a sixth two-year term, says he believes his loss was due to his support for a plan to bring refugees from Syria and Iraq to the economically depressed city.
Mayor Christopher Louras lost Tuesday’s four-way race to City Councilor David Allaire, who had campaigned on a platform of healing a community divided by the mayor’s refugee plan.
While acknowledging that a number of local issues played a role in the race, Louras said Wednesday he felt his support for refugee resettlement ultimately cost him re-election.
“Though I wanted to think this was not a referendum on refugee resettlement, I continue to believe, as I’ve articulated, Rutland is a microcosm of the national conversation on immigration and refugees, and ultimately it was not an election on the issues but an election based on emotions,” Louras said.
MORE RESULTS:Chittenden County Town Meeting Day
According to unofficial returns, Allaire claimed 52 percent of the vote. Also in the race were downtown advocate Michael Coppinger and resident Kam Johnston. The candidates do not run under a party affiliation.
“One of the first things I want to do is restore the trust in City Hall,” Allaire said, standing outside his victory party. “That’s what I’m going to do.”
Last spring, Louras announced a plan to bring up to 100 refugees annually from Syria and Iraq to the city of about 16,500 residents. The plan split the community, with many residents eager to greet the newcomers but with others citing concerns the refugees could be security threats or economic burdens.
throbster
Postaholic

Re: Hope the Rutland Mayor election does not hurt Killington

Post by throbster »

This will probably attract people to the area. Just like Ivanka's clothing line sales are skyrocketing.

You are in the minority.

How exactly is Rutland a good area for Syrian refugees? The climate? The hot job market? The availability of mosques?
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

Seems to me the people of Rutland have spoken, they don't want refugees from Syria coming to their home.
Seacoaster
Bumper

Post by Seacoaster »

GSKI wrote:and the region. Sadly many of those Killington/Rutland folks are sure an intolerant bunch of xenophobic deplorables! Hope none of the people who voted for the new mayor are K skiers! This makes the entire region simply look bad. I would hate for skiers from other states to boycott the area due to its intolerance.

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/stor ... /98927540/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

WILSON RING, Associated Press Published 7:05 p.m. ET March 8, 2017 | Updated 9:24 a.m. ET March 9, 2017

RUTLAND - The mayor of Rutland, who was handily defeated in his bid for a sixth two-year term, says he believes his loss was due to his support for a plan to bring refugees from Syria and Iraq to the economically depressed city.
Mayor Christopher Louras lost Tuesday’s four-way race to City Councilor David Allaire, who had campaigned on a platform of healing a community divided by the mayor’s refugee plan.
While acknowledging that a number of local issues played a role in the race, Louras said Wednesday he felt his support for refugee resettlement ultimately cost him re-election.
“Though I wanted to think this was not a referendum on refugee resettlement, I continue to believe, as I’ve articulated, Rutland is a microcosm of the national conversation on immigration and refugees, and ultimately it was not an election on the issues but an election based on emotions,” Louras said.
According to unofficial returns, Allaire claimed 52 percent of the vote. Also in the race were downtown advocate Michael Coppinger and resident Kam Johnston. The candidates do not run under a party affiliation.
“One of the first things I want to do is restore the trust in City Hall,” Allaire said, standing outside his victory party. “That’s what I’m going to do.”
Last spring, Louras announced a plan to bring up to 100 refugees annually from Syria and Iraq to the city of about 16,500 residents. The plan split the community, with many residents eager to greet the newcomers but with others citing concerns the refugees could be security threats or economic burdens.
GSKI, once again proving, the intolerance of those who preach tolerance is the greatest hypocrisy of our time........
GSKI
Powderhound

Post by GSKI »

Blocking refugees just because they are Muslims from a war torn country that is filled with terrorists who hate us and where the terrorists have taken over former government offices that print documents and pass ports that make them appear legitimate is XENOPHOBIC and intolerant. Just look at what Trump is trying to do! Blocking Muslims from entering this country from 6 countries for 90 days until new security and vetting measures can be implemented. That's RACIST and unconstitutional. Fortunately federal district courts judges have blocked it. This will not reflect well on Killington or the region.
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

GSKI wrote:and the region. Sadly many of those Killington/Rutland folks are sure an intolerant bunch of xenophobic deplorables! Hope none of the people who voted for the new mayor are K skiers! This makes the entire region simply look bad. I would hate for skiers from other states to boycott the area due to its intolerance.

Nothing like ignoring the facts.

http://www.rutlandherald.com/articles/r ... -race-too/

Two candidates who were outspoken in their opposition to the refugee resettlement in Rutland won election to the Rutland Board of Aldermen on Tuesday, while four who were supportive of the resettlement won as well.
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

For me, I don't want a neighbor who wants to cut my head off. Butt, that's just me. In Concord, NH 10% of the high school are refugees. A lot of people in Concord wanted to add full day kindergarten, butt there's no money. Were did the $ go?
Good for Rutland.
I Belong A Long Way From Here.
Seacoaster
Bumper

Post by Seacoaster »

freeski wrote:For me, I don't want a neighbor who wants to cut my head off. Butt, that's just me. In Concord, NH 10% of the high school are refugees. A lot of people in Concord wanted to add full day kindergarten, butt there's no money. Were did the $ go?
Good for Rutland.
I agree, we talk about the high cost to educate students and the poor results we are seeing. yet we burden our schools with exorbitant cost to educate people who are illegally in the country and people who are relocated here that don't speak English.
All of which steals valuable educational dollars for or citizen students. That's not a racist or xenophobic idea, that's a factually based statement. In Concord, there at least is a sustainable job pool to absorb refugee's, Rutland lacks jobs for its citizens, why would it make remote sense to inject lower skilled lower paid competitors in an already difficult job market?

As for the facts, it doesn't fit the liberal agenda to use them in this case as was point out with this post-"Two candidates who were outspoken in their opposition to the refugee resettlement in Rutland won election to the Rutland Board of Aldermen on Tuesday, while four who were supportive of the resettlement won as well."
Seacoaster
Bumper

Post by Seacoaster »

GSKI wrote:Blocking refugees just because they are Muslims from a war torn country that is filled with terrorists who hate us and where the terrorists have taken over former government offices that print documents and pass ports that make them appear legitimate is XENOPHOBIC and intolerant. Just look at what Trump is trying to do! Blocking Muslims from entering this country from 6 countries for 90 days until new security and vetting measures can be implemented. That's RACIST and unconstitutional. Fortunately federal district courts judges have blocked it. This will not reflect well on Killington or the region.
Do you even realize you just validate the argument for not bringing these people? The base line reason for the travel ban is that these governments are defunct, they have no technological infrastructure to validate someone is who they actually proclaim to be, therefore its impossible to properly vet one for safe entry.

As for impact on Killington, there is a potential it may help, if you spend time here in the summer, you know the life line of the resort during that season is the Jewish community.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Seacoaster wrote:
GSKI wrote:Blocking refugees just because they are Muslims from a war torn country that is filled with terrorists who hate us and where the terrorists have taken over former government offices that print documents and pass ports that make them appear legitimate is XENOPHOBIC and intolerant. Just look at what Trump is trying to do! Blocking Muslims from entering this country from 6 countries for 90 days until new security and vetting measures can be implemented. That's RACIST and unconstitutional. Fortunately federal district courts judges have blocked it. This will not reflect well on Killington or the region.
^^SARCASM^^

Do you even realize you just validate the argument for not bringing these people? The base line reason for the travel ban is that these governments are defunct, they have no technological infrastructure to validate someone is who they actually proclaim to be, therefore its impossible to properly vet one for safe entry.

As for impact on Killington, there is a potential it may help, if you spend time here in the summer, you know the life line of the resort during that season is the Jewish community.
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
GSKI
Powderhound

Post by GSKI »

AT MOST terrorists might have killed or maimed a couple of Rutlanders. As President Obama frequently noted you have far greater chance dying in a slip in the bathtub or being struck by lightening. You don't see us trying to ban bathtubs and lightening strikes do you? Well there you have it. The benefits of diversity far outweigh a couple of people I have never met getting killed.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

There isn't enough of this debate in the Political Forum?
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
GSKI
Powderhound

Post by GSKI »

Blocking refugees just because they are Muslims from a war torn country that is filled with terrorists who hate us and where the terrorists have taken over former government offices that print documents and pass ports that make them appear legitimate is XENOPHOBIC and intolerant.

^^SARCASM^^

I was so sure the first sentence was a dead give away! Thanks for helping MH.
skilab
Blue Chatterbox

Post by skilab »

As mentioned the election in Rutland was a microcosm of national opinion and peoples uninformed biases. Anyone who argues that Rutland doesnt have the jobs to support these refugees is severely misinformed. The fact is the region has so many job vacancies because peope that are willing to work cant be found. For example Rutland regional hospital has over 100 job openings for all sorts of positions for which there are no workers. The same could be said for Killington in January. Have you ever talked to any of the business owners on the access road and had them tell you how qualified reliable workers dont exist. So clearly the need is here and a primary miconception is the syrians are not skilled which is false. I know one guy who runs a small business near Tops and cannot find anyone to work a unskilled job at $13 per hour. I met the two syrian families who arrived in December at the welcome dinner last week held at the high school. The first family the wife has a masters degree and was a French professor and the husband ran a manufacturing business while the second the wife is a nurse. I find it laughable when i see Rutland residents on TV opposing resettlement with the argument "we cant take care of our own problems and find jobs for unemployed residents". False. The majority of Rutland residents that live in the hotels and flop houses are there because of bad decisions they have made and dont have the willingness and/or ability to change. They are good educated hard working people who were driven out of their country by war and then had to spend 2 years fighting for a second chance. Im conservative and am all for preventing illegal immigrants who ignore the process from being here. But dont lump these folks in with the illegals as that is un informed or racist. This is exactly what the state needs to stop the population decrease and attract people who will actually contribute to the community.
ME2VTSkier
Powderhound
Location: Aroostook County ME, Plymouth VT, Block Island RI, Clarksville OH, Ocala FL

Post by ME2VTSkier »

GSKI wrote:Blocking refugees just because they are Muslims from a war torn country that is filled with terrorists who hate us and where the terrorists have taken over former government offices that print documents and pass ports that make them appear legitimate is XENOPHOBIC and intolerant.

^^SARCASM^^

I was so sure the first sentence was a dead give away! Thanks for helping MH.
Well, I was gonna ask if you forgot to insert your sarc tags... butt I just figured there was no way....