Geography losers on Jeopardy....

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Geography losers on Jeopardy....

Post by Highway Star »

Final Jeopardy tonight, new episode. Asian geography topic. "What country borders the Caspian Sea and the Persian Gulf?"

Do you know it?

Answers were:
- Iraq (Military guy). Short coastline on the Gulf but otherwise landlocked. Was in last place -> $1 Winner!
- Azerbaijan (Hispanic guy). Better answer than I originally thought, has large eastern coastline on Caspian Sea but is otherwise not near the Gulf. Tied in first with $12.3K -> $0
- Tibet (Trans woman). Not actually a country. It's China's large southwestern providence, approximately 1500 miles from both bodies of water. But it is in Asia! Tied in first with $12.3K -> $0

What was the correct answer?

IRAN.

I had the correct answer in about 3 seconds and was about 95% sure on it. While I am a "map guy", I'm not huge on trivia. Wasn't paying too much attention until they started giving answers. I usually get Final Jeopardy about 30% of the time.

As it turns out, Iran has the entire northern coast of the Gulf (I knew this) and the southern coast of the Caspian Sea (wasn't sure, but I generally know where both Iran and the Caspian Sea are).

What's disturbing is that we've been at odds with Iran geo-politically for nearly 40 years, they are in the news every week, they are strong allies with Russia/USSR, and share long borders with counties where we've fought our last 3 major wars in 30 years (Afghanistan, Iraq 1 and 2).

Do people honestly not pull out a map and look at this sh*t? Can the public even find it? Where is the media in this, is the public ignoring the maps they throw up? Do people understand the importance of it's location....?
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
MarieM
Post Office

worst game ever?

Post by MarieM »

https://www.theringer.com/tv/2017/10/18 ... one-dollar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Re: worst game ever?

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Would you have answered Iran? I don't think I would have.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
I used to work with a guy from Iran. He had a photo of himself and Saddam Hussein. He strongly informed me one time over beers that Iranians are NOT Arabs. He failed to instill in me the fact that Iran borders the Caspian Sea. I wouldn't have gotten it right either.
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Re: Geography losers on Jeopardy....

Post by Guy in Shorts »

Sadly I would have joined HS in the smart kids corner.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
brownman
Postinator

Re: Geography losers on Jeopardy....

Post by brownman »

.. butt you both would have bet the full one thousand and ended with nada

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Mister Moose wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
I used to work with a guy from Iran. He had a photo of himself and Saddam Hussein. He strongly informed me one time over beers that Iranians are NOT Arabs. He failed to instill in me the fact that Iran borders the Caspian Sea. I wouldn't have gotten it right either.
saddam was an iraqi, not an iranian... not sure why an iranian would have a picture of himself with the leader of iraq...something seems amiss there...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

Mister Moose wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
I'll admit not knowing off hand that Northern Iran borders the Caspian Sea, but the other part of the question made the answer pretty easy to come up with. The only other possibilities would be Iraq and maybe Pakistan if its southwestern border is still considered along the Persian gulf and not the Indian Ocean. Neither of those countries would have land stretching far enough north to reach the Caspian Sea, so that leaves Iran as the only possible answer.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

madhatter wrote:
Mister Moose wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
saddam was an iraqi, not an iranian... not sure why an iranian would have a picture of himself with the leader of iraq...something seems amiss there...
It's more about Sunni vs Shia there. Saddam was Sunni. Iran is majority Shia. If the Iranian guy was Sunni which is the second largest group in Iran he would be all for Saddam.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

daytripper wrote:
madhatter wrote:
Mister Moose wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
It's more about Sunni vs Shia there. Saddam was Sunni. Iran is majority Shia. If the Iranian guy was Sunni which is the second largest group in Iran he would be all for Saddam.
:like :like
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

deadheadskier wrote:
Mister Moose wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
I'll admit not knowing off hand that Northern Iran borders the Caspian Sea, but the other part of the question made the answer pretty easy to come up with. The only other possibilities would be Iraq and maybe Pakistan if its southwestern border is still considered along the Persian gulf and not the Indian Ocean. Neither of those countries would have land stretching far enough north to reach the Caspian Sea, so that leaves Iran as the only possible answer.
Persian Gulf begins at the Straits of Hormuz. Pakistan is nowhere near that.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

daytripper wrote:
madhatter wrote:
Mister Moose wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
Nothing amiss - you guys are forgetting some Iraqi history.

In 1990 Saddam was holding hostages "for their own safety" or other such nonsense. After enough international pressure, Saddam relented a little, said they were never hostages, and would release them if a family member came to claim them. (Initially this offer was viewed with great suspicion and no one ever to my memory explained what Saddam's reasoning was behind it) This guy's father was one of the hostages, and he went to Iraq to secure his father's release. The photo was him, his father, and Saddam. It made for a great bar bet.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Mister Moose wrote:
daytripper wrote:
madhatter wrote:
Mister Moose wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
Nothing amiss - you guys are forgetting some Iraqi history.

In 1990 Saddam was holding hostages "for their own safety" or other such nonsense. After enough international pressure, Saddam relented a little, said they were never hostages, and would release them if a family member came to claim them. (Initially this offer was viewed with great suspicion and no one ever to my memory explained what Saddam's reasoning was behind it) This guy's father was one of the hostages, and he went to Iraq to secure his father's release. The photo was him, his father, and Saddam. It made for a great bar bet.
interesting...
mach es sehr schnell

MarieM
Post Office

Post by MarieM »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
I didn't know the answer. I did, however, know the answer to the one below. #softball

"The protagonist of this novel 'was fairly sure that his age was 39, and he believed that he had been born in 1944 or 1945.' "
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

Bubba wrote:
deadheadskier wrote:
Mister Moose wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
Persian Gulf begins at the Straits of Hormuz. Pakistan is nowhere near that.
Learn something new...

Perhaps High School I knew the Gulf was split in two between Persian and Oman. When you bring up Google maps on a phone it just says Persian until you zoom in. The area of Pakistan I was referring to essentially borders where the gulf reaches the ocean