Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Re: Net Neutrality - the real facts from the FCC Chairman

Post by Highway Star »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
Highway Star wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
Highway Star wrote: - it's going to be fast, reliable and offer nearly unlimited access to anything on the internet. And nothing is going to change that.
Why repeal NN if it won't have any impact as you asserted before/above?
Net Neutrality, or for all intents and purposes having a set of rules/framework/oversight that provides what is commonly thought of as net neutrality, is NOT being repealed or removed, only tweaked in the exact execution of it. The regulating process for ISP's is being reverted. Period.

I'm starting to conclude that you're extremely ill informed on this topic or having a hard time grasping it.
So tweaking NN is not going to have an impact, but it's being tweaked anyway, but the tweaking will have no impact? I don't understand. Your assertions seem at odds with one another.
I've been extremely clear about my assertions. You're just an idiot.

Please just read, and re-read the FCC statements until you understand what they are doing, and why. It's hard to take hundreds of pages of rules and decisions and summarize it into one sentence summaries you can understand.
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Highway Star wrote:I've been extremely clear about my assertions. You're just an idiot.

Please just read, and re-read the FCC statements until you understand what they are doing, and why. It's hard to take hundreds of pages of rules and decisions and summarize it into one sentence summaries you can understand.
I know what they're doing and why, but I disagree things will be the same and we will continue to have unlimited access and speeds will not be impacted. I'm trying to understand how you know unlimited access, as well as current speeds, will be maintained?
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
Highway Star wrote:I've been extremely clear about my assertions. You're just an idiot.

I know what they're doing and why, but I disagree things will be the same and we will continue to have unlimited access and speeds will not be impacted. I'm trying to understand how you know unlimited access, as well as current speeds, will be maintained?
From the FCC statement:
Another common criticism is that after the plan is adopted, the Internet will become like cable
television, and Americans will have to pay more to reach certain groups of websites. George Takei of
Star Trek fame recently tweeted an article claiming that this was happening in Portugal, which doesn’t
have net neutrality, and that this would happen in the United States if the plan were adopted.
There are a few problems with this. For one thing, the Obama Administration itself made clear
that curated Internet packages are lawful in the United States under the Commission’s 2015 rules. That’s
right: the conduct described in a graphic that is currently being spread around the Internet is currently
allowed under the previous Administration’s Title II rules.
So, for example, if broadband providers want
to offer a $10 a month package where you could only access a few websites like Twitter and Facebook,
they can do that today. Indeed, the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals recently pointed out that net neutrality
rules don’t prohibit these curated offerings.
So the complaint by Mr. Takei and others doesn’t hold water. They’re arguing that if the plan is
adopted, Internet service providers would suddenly start doing something that net-neutrality rules already
allow them to do. But the reason that Internet service providers aren’t offering such packages now, and
likely won’t offer such packages in the future, is that American consumers by and large don’t want them.
Additionally, as several fact-checkers have pointed out, as part of the European Union, Portugal
does have net neutrality regulations! Moreover, the graphic relates to supplemental data plans featuring
specific apps that customers could get from one provider, beyond the various unrestricted base plans that
provider offered. As one report put it, this example “is pointing to an example that has nothing to do with
net neutrality.”
From Reddit:
The FTC’s unfair-and-deceptive-practices authority “prohibits companies from selling consumers one product or service but providing them something different,” which makes voluntary commitments enforceable.502 The FTC also requires the “disclos[ur]e [of] material information if not disclosing it would mislead the consumer,” so if an ISP “failed to disclose blocking, throttling, or other practices that would matter to a reasonable consumer, the FTC’s deception authority would apply.”503
Many of the largest ISPs have committed to not to block or throttle legal content.507 These commitments can be enforced by the FTC...

FTC prevents throtting/blocking/etc because that's what ISPs are advertising, and they must be held accountable. If multiple ISPs each individually stop advertising it, it's not immediately clear that the FTC can hold them all accountable to it. However, if the ISPs collude to collectively enact abusive policies, then the FTC can f*** them up. Further, if an ISP paywalls websites, they must explicitly notify consumers. If customers have no alternative ISP and are forced to obey their one ISP's abusive policies, then the FTC can declare them a monopoly. That would whip up a shitstorm for the ISP, but it could still happen.

Later in the report the FCC admits that they have to eliminate the Open Internet Rules, which is bad for us. The FCC was forced to do this because of the two Democrat judges in the D.C. Circuit who presided over Verizon v. FCC and ruled that the FCC is no longer allowed to enforce open-internet unless they force the ISPs to become Title II Utilities.

The Democrat judges admitted that they were

...not to assess the wisdom of the Open Internet Order regulations, but rather to determine whether the Commission has demonstrated that the regulations fall within the scope of its statutory grant of authority."

These two judges were appointed by Bill Clinton. Almost sounds like he paid them a visit on the tarmac.
Technically, we lose brightline/2010 Open internet rules, but the FTC is confident they can enforce something similar. The benefit is reduced regulation, more competition, and investment.

From NPR:

https://www.npr.org/sections/alltechcon ... fle-growth" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In an interview with NPR's David Greene, Pai says he wants the government to focus on correcting actual anti-competitive behavior that Internet providers might demonstrate, rather than regulating against hypothetical harms.

"Preemptive regulation is appropriate when there's a major market failure — when the Internet is broken," he says.

In this case Pai argues that his predecessor, Tom Wheeler, unnecessarily inserted the government into the Internet economy, stifling its innovation and growth.
On regulating preemptively versus after-the-fact

If you act before the fact, then you're preemptively saying that we think the marketplace is forever going to be the same and we can take account of every particular kind of conduct and say that, "you know what, it should be unlawful." And if the agency is going to do that, it has to recognize that there are severe potential unintended consequences.

First, you could be prohibiting a number of pro-competitive business arrangements. And secondly ... you could end up reducing investments. Companies might start to look elsewhere to invest if they think that the regulatory framework is too prescriptive. ...

After-the-fact regulation — which allows you to take action, again, based on actual harms that have been demonstrated in the record — is a much better way on balance to protect consumers. As opposed to preemptive regulation, which might seem appealing at first, but which has serious long-term consequences.

And the economic literature is pretty rich on this, that preemptive regulation is appropriate when there's a major market failure — when the Internet is broken. And the point I've simply made is that, if you look at the Internet that we had in 2015, we were not living in some digital dystopia. There was nothing broken about the marketplace in such a fundamental way that these Title II regulations were appropriate.

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

BRUTAL.

https://www.reddit.com/r/rage/comments/ ... _ajit_pai/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: