It's time for Google to Die.

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... servatives" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:evil:
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Re: It's time for Google to Die.

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

That's cute ... they create little lists of the people they can't play well with in the sandbox. Don't we have posters on here that do the same?
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

http://dailycaller.com/2018/01/09/googl ... ive-sites/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
Nikoli
Poster Child Poster

Post by Nikoli »

Enjoy bing or whatever second rate product you plan on using.
And the sea will grant each man new hope . . .
-Christopher Columbus
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

Nikoli wrote:Enjoy bing or whatever second rate product you plan on using.
I've had Bing as my default search engine for well over a year now, and never use gmail. Google can suck it.

Nikoli
Poster Child Poster

Post by Nikoli »

Highway Star wrote:
Nikoli wrote:Enjoy bing or whatever second rate product you plan on using.
I've had Bing as my default search engine for well over a year now, and never use gmail. Google can suck it.
You should try https://duckduckgo.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And the sea will grant each man new hope . . .
-Christopher Columbus
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Highway Star wrote:Image
Sure, because there are no laws prohibiting it.
Coydog
Guru Poster

Post by Coydog »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Sure, because there are no laws prohibiting it.
That's the basic problem.

Google is still the best at search, but they are indeed "evil" and not because some former white dude employee got his feelings hurt.

Google vigorously collects all sorts of private information on their customers under the guise of providing better content ("personalization"). They then sell that info to third parties. It is very difficult for the non-tech savvy user to prevent this. They regularly serve search results based significantly on how much an entity advertises with them but give the impression the results are purely a matter of internet visibility. Gmail and other services are more ways for them to snoop on the unsuspecting.

To me, Google has essentially become the exact opposite of what they once were. It’s only appropriate they’ve dropped their motto of "Don't be evil". I continue use their stuff today, but with decreasing frequency and increasing caution.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Coydog wrote:Google vigorously collects all sorts of private information on their customers under the guise of providing better content ("personalization"). They then sell that info to third parties. It is very difficult for the non-tech savvy user to prevent this. They regularly serve search results based significantly on how much an entity advertises with them but give the impression the results are purely a matter of internet visibility. Gmail and other services are more ways for them to snoop on the unsuspecting.

To me, Google has essentially become the exact opposite of what they once were. It’s only appropriate they’ve dropped their motto of "Don't be evil". I continue use their stuff today, but with decreasing frequency and increasing caution.
This collection of information is also what makes them better ... I don't think it's a guise, but rather drives/supplements their innovation and I would argue part of why so many of their services are complimentary. As for Google selling their customers data to third-parties, I'm not aware of this ... link? Similarly, I'm unaware of cases where Google has been caught 'snooping' on customer's e-mail ... link?
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Personally, I don't view evidence of Google placing a cookie on an iPhone / Safari Browser to be 'snooping' (e.g., 'investigate or look around furtively in an attempt to find out something, especially information about someone's private affairs'). Sure, it likely broke the UK's strong (as compared to the US) privacy laws, but it's hardly snooping. Same with the Google Street-view ... I don't believe incidental privacy violations were a result of Google's attempt to 'snoop'. UBER has some good 'snooping' examples (as does the NSA and your local police department via stingray), but the ones you cited are hardly 'snooping' in the proper use of the word.

Are there cases where Google has sold customer data to 3rd parties?
Kpdemello
Tree Psycho

Post by Kpdemello »

Interesting case. I've never heard of discrimination based on political ideology being a cause of action for a lawsuit. Distasteful, bad business, bad citizenship, sure. But I don't think it's unlawful. Unless he's claiming that he is being discriminated against based on his gender and ethnicity? That would be a real switch - being discriminated against for being male and white. Wonder what the judges will do with that.
Coydog
Guru Poster

Post by Coydog »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
Personally, I don't view evidence of Google placing a cookie on an iPhone / Safari Browser to be 'snooping' (e.g., 'investigate or look around furtively in an attempt to find out something, especially information about someone's private affairs'). Sure, it likely broke the UK's strong (as compared to the US) privacy laws, but it's hardly snooping. Same with the Google Street-view ... I don't believe incidental privacy violations were a result of Google's attempt to 'snoop'. UBER has some good 'snooping' examples (as does the NSA and your local police department via stingray), but the ones you cited are hardly 'snooping' in the proper use of the word.
You don't think Google was snooping, the courts obviously disagree.
XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Are there cases where Google has sold customer data to 3rd parties?
Google Reaches $8.5M Settlement In Search-Data Suit

Law360, New York (July 22, 2013, 1:23 PM EDT) -- Google Inc. will shut down a pair of putative California class actions accusing it of illegally divulging search query information to third parties via the URL from its search engine results page after reaching an $8.5 million settlement disclosed Friday.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Coydog wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
You don't think Google was snooping, the courts obviously disagree.
XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Are there cases where Google has sold customer data to 3rd parties?
Google Reaches $8.5M Settlement In Search-Data Suit

Law360, New York (July 22, 2013, 1:23 PM EDT) -- Google Inc. will shut down a pair of putative California class actions accusing it of illegally divulging search query information to third parties via the URL from its search engine results page after reaching an $8.5 million settlement disclosed Friday.
So in conclusion, it seems Google doesn't vigorously collect 'all sorts of private information on their customers' and then sells the info to third parties. Unless you feel search terms and an IP address falls under 'vigorous collection of private information'. Further, it seems like Google is not snooping on unsuspecting Gmail users, as you previously alluded.