Iraqis outraged by video of Marine killing man in raid

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
DMC
Post Office

Post by DMC »

shortski wrote:
DMC wrote:Powell will NEVER run for president.. Your kiddin yourself if you think so...
He and Condi are like oil and vinigar.. He has a senseabilty that was created from being a soldier and working his way up the ranks...
She is Bush's lapdog, yesman...
Ever hear of the saying "Politics make for strange bedfellows", never say never, wait I just did I have to stop now and take my medication :lol:
The fact is - his wife won't let him... ;)
CAPBOY
Guru Poster

Post by CAPBOY »

DMC wrote:
CAPBOY wrote:Some things get worse before they get better. Your riding the CNN train, buddy. It all seems worse when you look out that window.

Every move the guy has made is not the right one. But the direction is right. Stop worrying so much about what people think about US. Its funny that you care about that so much, because I KNOW you don't care that much about how people think about yourself - and that is not meant to be an indictment.
I am not a country..

I'm just an American - with an opinion... Who tends to side with moderates... Like Powell... God - I'm going to miss that guy...
I find it hypocritical to expect more from others than you do of yourself, so likewise, If YOU don't care so much about the individual YOU, why do you care differently about the collective US!

You have to think these things through man!
CAPBOY
Guru Poster

Post by CAPBOY »

DMC wrote:
shortski wrote:
DMC wrote:Powell will NEVER run for president.. Your kiddin yourself if you think so...
He and Condi are like oil and vinigar.. He has a senseabilty that was created from being a soldier and working his way up the ranks...
She is Bush's lapdog, yesman...
Ever hear of the saying "Politics make for strange bedfellows", never say never, wait I just did I have to stop now and take my medication :lol:
The fact is - his wife won't let him... ;)
That is not even funny. It is very true.
DMC
Post Office

Post by DMC »

CAPBOY wrote:I find it hypocritical to expect more from others than you do of yourself, so likewise, If YOU don't care so much about the individual YOU, why do you care differently about the collective US!

You have to think these things through man!
I am not a hypocrit... Well on some things... But not this... Thats hitting way below the belt... Even for you!!! ;)

What can I do???
Seriously... I voted... I donated to the campaign that I believed in.... I debated my beliefs.. I watched my brothers kids while he was in Iraq... I registered 20 people to vote... I worked at Ft Dix/Walter Reed and created processes to help our GI's at war...

But I'm not an elected leader... I don't represent the majority of the countries beliefs... I can't sway foreign policy... I don't put people in cabinet positions...
WTF more can I do?!?!?!?!?!
CAPBOY
Guru Poster

Post by CAPBOY »

You are missing the point.

How can you expect from the collective what you don't for yourself?

Call it what you want, but it is at the very least inconsistant and for someone that is as passionate as you are in their beliefs, I am sorry I have to use stronger labels. If this were Gsmashed, I suspect I would use another label, but you have a different passion and are a bit of a thinker. Don't go getting hyped up. As much as I enjoy getting you hyped up, this is not one of those times that you should.
DMC
Post Office

Post by DMC »

CAPBOY wrote:How can you expect from the collective what you don't for yourself?
Cause I don't agree with the majority..??
Cause I'm not a "sheeple"???

I seriously have no idea what your accusing me of...

Not going with the status quo???
Dissagreeing with the government???
CAPBOY
Guru Poster

Post by CAPBOY »

no. you are dissappointing me here.
DMC
Post Office

Post by DMC »

CAPBOY wrote:no. you are dissappointing me here.
Well help me out over here!!!!
Seriously..
I have no idea what your accussing me of...

Maybe I am stupid....
CAPBOY
Guru Poster

Post by CAPBOY »

Why do you care about what others perceive US

When you don't care how others perceive you?

You can't seem to give me a straight answer.

I didn't call you apathetic. Its great that you participate.

I didn't call you ignorant. I know you are knowledgeable and concerned.

I only asked:

Why do you care about what others perceive US

DMC
Post Office

Post by DMC »

I just didnt understand what you were sayin - that's all... Seriously...
DMC
Post Office

Post by DMC »

CAPBOY wrote: Why do you care about what others perceive US
I care about the way others percieve me to a certain extent... For instance - When I ride a chair with an older skier - I always try and make an effort to talk to them and let them know that snowboarders are not so bad.. Kinda give us a human side.. I feel it's needed in order for skiers to percieve us in a better and more true light...

The reason I care about the way other countries perceive the United States is because I believe that the world is gettting smaller every day... And because of that - we ALL need to be on the same page to make it a better place and defend our ways of life as a one strong unti..

When I was in Argentina skiing at Las Lenas - I hung out with some Brits from a ski team... Great guys... But the locals hated them and called them names because of the Falkland thing.. Their perception of them was way off.. They were great people... But they were percieved to be jerks because thats what they were told they were.. By the end of the week... The Brits were hanging and drinking with the Argentines.. Like the Falkland Islands never occured... The Brits could've just said F you - I don't give a crap what people think of us..... But they didn't...

It would be selfish of me to not care about the way people perceive the whole US... But for myself... whatever... Do I care what people think of me because I listen to the Grateful Dead.... No really... But other things that may be more personal - I do care about... Like my music... Or the way i interact with people.. etc...
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

After days of listening to this, I feel the news media is still setting the agenda. They show the video of the instant, not the circumstances or any followup of what was going on.

These guys were in combat the previos day. One was killed by a booby trapped wounded combatant. That alone should be cause to say f*** the bastards. The guy caught on film was wounded in the face the previous day.

The mosque was secured the day before. The Marines did not have enough perssonel to care for the wounded so left them to be picked up later

The 2nd and 3rd group of marines, 18 hours later, were being fired upon from the alley and area of the mosque. When entering the mosque they THOUGHT they were being conned into another booby trap. BANG !

But all of that can't make the 30 second clip on ABC, CBS or NBC. If it was me, I would have shot the bastard too, and kept shooting !
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
DMC
Post Office

Post by DMC »

Dr. NO wrote:After days of listening to this, I feel the news media is still setting the agenda. They show the video of the instant, not the circumstances or any followup of what was going on.
I'm not going to judge something like that.. It's the Marines situation to deal with.. It's not really my place.. I don't deny what they are up against is a mind blower...

I'm only refering to the negative perception of the Islamic world to this incident and how it overshadowed the murder of the Irish Care worker which was causing many from Iraq to be more outspoken against the "insugency"..

But remember it was this administrations idea to embed the press... They did it to show the world that we are fighting a good fight... And as far as I know the press was deemed liberal WAAY before GWB took office..
It's just something that wasnt well thought out...
CAPBOY
Guru Poster

Post by CAPBOY »

DMC wrote:I care about the way others percieve me to a certain extent... For instance - When I ride a chair with an older skier - I always try and make an effort to talk to them and let them know that snowboarders are not so bad.. Kinda give us a human side.. I feel it's needed in order for skiers to percieve us in a better and more true light...
1. You are personable indeed, but let me tell you, you from EXPERIENCE, do not let how you are perceived by others get in the way of expressing YOUR opinion. Big difference.

2. I work for a company that is based not far from a place where WE dropped an A Bomb. I've never talked about it with my expat colleagues, but there is not a hint of resentment. It doesn't make what happened almost 60 years ago right, but the world moves on and heals.

3. You read & watch a lot of CNN. It is just amazing just how much support there actually is for the US. Sure the unemployed citizens and college students make the news with their protests....
Last edited by CAPBOY on Nov 19th, '04, 11:59, edited 1 time in total.
yeti
Powderhound

Post by yeti »

Were I in that Marine's boots I probably would have done the same thing.