Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

Pedro wrote:
Dr. NO wrote:
DMC wrote:
Pedro wrote:
Pedro wrote:Any description as to how we are deploying the napalm? Its not all carpet boming.
I guess no answer for this one?
I think in Vietnam I think they used canisters to drop it... Not really a surgical strike thing..
It is a BOMB. You drop it and it explodes spreading petro all over everything with ignition. Not to difficult to understand. Air burst gets best results, just like the vaborized gas bombs. Detonate 100-200 feet above the ground and whoosh. The compression wipes things out and then the heat burns them up. Unlike napalm, it doesn not stay or stick to things.

If you get a chance, watch a History or Wings thing on Nam. They show these things hit the ground and then SPREAD out all over. Instead of shrapnel, it's fuel.
I understand the general napalm concept and got to watch many great instructional vidieos in the Infantry Officer Basic Course, just never heard of the gas. Thought maybe they were using somthing smaller for Close quarters battle for clearing builidings.
Uh? No, Napalm is a petrolium Jell, not gas. The new percussion thing is a gas bomb, atomized to spread the effect out prior to ignition. Napalm is like the flame thrower. Drop a sticky fuel onto the target and light it up. Very nasty and stays until it burns out, like a deisel fire.

The Air Burst Gas Bomb is a fuel mist that is atomized above the target and then ignited. Imagine atomizing your fuel tank and lighting a match. BOOM. Do that 100 feet in the air and what is left on the ground? NADA !
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

Dr. NO wrote:
Pedro wrote:
Dr. NO wrote:
DMC wrote:
Pedro wrote: I guess no answer for this one?
I think in Vietnam I think they used canisters to drop it... Not really a surgical strike thing..
It is a BOMB. You drop it and it explodes spreading petro all over everything with ignition. Not to difficult to understand. Air burst gets best results, just like the vaborized gas bombs. Detonate 100-200 feet above the ground and whoosh. The compression wipes things out and then the heat burns them up. Unlike napalm, it doesn not stay or stick to things.

If you get a chance, watch a History or Wings thing on Nam. They show these things hit the ground and then SPREAD out all over. Instead of shrapnel, it's fuel.
I understand the general napalm concept and got to watch many great instructional vidieos in the Infantry Officer Basic Course, just never heard of the gas. Thought maybe they were using somthing smaller for Close quarters battle for clearing builidings.
Uh? No, Napalm is a petrolium Jell, not gas. The new percussion thing is a gas bomb, atomized to spread the effect out prior to ignition. Napalm is like the flame thrower. Drop a sticky fuel onto the target and light it up. Very nasty and stays until it burns out, like a deisel fire.

The Air Burst Gas Bomb is a fuel mist that is atomized above the target and then ignited. Imagine atomizing your fuel tank and lighting a match. BOOM. Do that 100 feet in the air and what is left on the ground? NADA !
If I remember right the atomized-gas bombs go by the general name of FAEs (Fuel-Air Explosives). Think they're generally parachute dropped. Saw a video of one going off once. Impressive as hell.......
What is not possible is not to choose. ~Jean-Paul Sartre

Pedro
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Pedro »

Dr. NO wrote:
Uh? No, Napalm is a petrolium Jell, not gas.
the title of this forum "Napalm Gas" is what led me to ask this question. I thought you guys were refering to some high tech crap that i never heard of. That why i was wondering how it was employed.
yeti
Powderhound

Post by yeti »

Napalm is no longer used by US armed forces and no longer exists in the inventory.

But.

The MK77 firebomb canister munition - which normally was the ordinance used to deliver naplam is still in use... at least I can say that the USMC still uses them.

Now to split hairs. Naplam is a mixture of benzene, gasoline, and polystyrene. Like I stated, napalm is *no longer used*, so the Mk77 is now filled with a similar accelerant composed of kerosene, and polystyrene (kerosene containing a similar conentration of benzene). The result is an incendiary bomb with a very similar explosion as one loaded with napalm.

While the letter of the law is adhered to, the spirit is not. The term "napalm" is still used today to describe the MK77, many aviators only being incidentally aware that they are in fact not carrying actual napalm.

I don't know if 77's were dropped on Fallujah however it is quite possible - they were used on three bridge heads along the Marines axis of advance across the Tigris and Saddam Canal.