112,000 Jobs Created in November

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
DMC
Post Office

Re: 112,000 Jobs Created in November

Post by DMC »

Pedro wrote:
DMC wrote:
Pedro wrote:2 years ago I thought the same thing, that i would have a job for life at merck... You never heard of anyone getting fired, layed off etc. I told this guy who started after me,, hey your set for life buddy how does it feel? four months later they laid off 4.000 people...one year later Viox Bites it. Things are still good, and im not complaining but things are still changing.
Which building at MERCK? Have friends that used to work on the DBMS stuff there... Oracle and Teradata

My last gig was with Medco... Lots of ex-MERCK people there... MEDCO was going to offer me a job but this one in Albany with CSC came up first.. And I can live in the mountains... So I took it!!!
Great having a fulltime gig... Even if it is slower then I'm used to...
Yeah medco was spun off from merck right when i got hired, i work in West Point, PA...Not doing anything with communications, had to fall back on my college degree :)
I'm a communications major too... Wanted to be a DJ... HAAAA!!!!
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

DMC wrote:
Pedro wrote:
DMC wrote:
Pedro wrote:2 years ago I thought the same thing, that i would have a job for life at merck... You never heard of anyone getting fired, layed off etc. I told this guy who started after me,, hey your set for life buddy how does it feel? four months later they laid off 4.000 people...one year later Viox Bites it. Things are still good, and im not complaining but things are still changing.
Which building at MERCK? Have friends that used to work on the DBMS stuff there... Oracle and Teradata

My last gig was with Medco... Lots of ex-MERCK people there... MEDCO was going to offer me a job but this one in Albany with CSC came up first.. And I can live in the mountains... So I took it!!!
Great having a fulltime gig... Even if it is slower then I'm used to...
Yeah medco was spun off from merck right when i got hired, i work in West Point, PA...Not doing anything with communications, had to fall back on my college degree :)
I'm a communications major too... Wanted to be a DJ... HAAAA!!!!
How did you go from Communications to doing IT/Software Development? Just curious
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

And I've been a Merck shareholder for years and I'd like to really thank you for Vioxx and what it's done for my shareholder value. :twisted:
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Pedro
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Pedro »

Bubba wrote:And I've been a Merck shareholder for years and I'd like to really thank you for Vioxx and what it's done for my shareholder value. :twisted:
you would be surprised at some of the people who still had there 401k all in merck stock....and the stock has really sucked for the last few years prior to viox.
DMC
Post Office

Post by DMC »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
DMC wrote: I'm a communications major too... Wanted to be a DJ... HAAAA!!!!
How did you go from Communications to doing IT/Software Development? Just curious
Well... In 1983 I started in the mailroom at AT&T... My intention was to work at AT&T and get them to pay my tuition so I could finish my degree..... After a few months in the mailroom a friend got me into the Data Center - I ran batch jobs - loaded card readers - mounted tapes - bursted printouts... I thought it was pretty cool...

There was a ton of manual stuff to do so I learned how to program in ISPF/TSO/CLIST to automate some of my tasks.. I basically automated myself out of my position... And moved on.. doing mostly tech support and system programming on MVS and UNIX..
Before I knew it I was a lead DBA on a new DBMS called Teradata as well as DB2...
Alway trying to learn new stuff... Staying as current as possible...
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

DMC wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
DMC wrote: I'm a communications major too... Wanted to be a DJ... HAAAA!!!!
Well... In 1983 I started in the mailroom at AT&T... My intention was to work at AT&T and get them to pay my tuition so I could finish my degree..... After a few months in the mailroom a friend got me into the Data Center - I ran batch jobs - loaded card readers - mounted tapes - bursted printouts... I thought it was pretty cool...

There was a ton of manual stuff to do so I learned how to program in ISPF/TSO/CLIST to automate some of my tasks.. I basically automated myself out of my position... And moved on.. doing mostly tech support and system programming on MVS and UNIX..
Before I knew it I was a lead DBA on a new DBMS called Teradata as well as DB2...
Alway trying to learn new stuff... Staying as current as possible...
Kool :D
CAPBOY
Guru Poster

Post by CAPBOY »

Scotty K wrote:Actually, oil prices have fallen to their lowest point in the last 3 months and so far consumer spending for the holidays has slightly exceeded expectations. But too much of that is debt spending, and job growth remains sluggish.

We're just in this slow funk of an economic recovery. Personally, I blame a lack of snow
Great point about oil Scotty. May hit $40 soon. I expect VT gas prices to be $1.70 by January 15.

5.4% unemployment, though, not too shabby.