112,000 Jobs Created in November

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

112,000 Jobs Created in November

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

http://bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm wrote:Employment rose in November, and the unemployment rate, at 5.4 percent, was
essentially unchanged, the Bureau of Labor Statistics of the U.S. Department of
Labor reported today. Nonfarm payroll employment increased by 112,000 over the
month, with job gains in several service-providing industries.
Pedro
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Re: 112,000 Jobs Created in November

Post by Pedro »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
http://bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm wrote:Employment rose in November, and the unemployment rate, at 5.4 percent, was
But DMC's Job will still be heading to India by 2006. :P
DMC
Post Office

Post by DMC »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
That's actually not alot... I thought they forecasted 180,000 new jobs...? Forgot where I read that...

With oil prices as bad as they are and soft job market - I bet the XMas shopping season tanks...
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

DMC wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
That's actually not alot... I thought they forecasted 180,000 new jobs...? Forgot where I read that...

With oil prices as bad as they are and soft job market - I bet the XMas shopping season tanks...
I agree that's it not a lot....I was at a loss of what to post this morning. I think X-Mas may do better than 112K
DMC
Post Office

Post by DMC »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
DMC wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:

I agree that's it not a lot....I was at a loss of what to post this morning. I think X-Mas may do better than 112K
I'm really nervous about oil and jobs right now...
I hope things get better...
Scotty K
Beginner On Rentals

Post by Scotty K »

Actually, oil prices have fallen to their lowest point in the last 3 months and so far consumer spending for the holidays has slightly exceeded expectations. But too much of that is debt spending, and job growth remains sluggish.

We're just in this slow funk of an economic recovery. Personally, I blame a lack of snow
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Pedro wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
It is no laughing matter in the technical field. A lot of our jobs have gone to India and for your information 1/2 the staff in my department is from India.
DMC
Post Office

Post by DMC »

tyrolean_skier wrote:
Pedro wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
It is no laughing matter in the technical field. A lot of our jobs have gone to India and for your information 1/2 the staff in my department is from India.
Sometimes I think about how different my life would be if I was still at AT&T.. I could actually retire next year with full medical - but I can't and I'll be working until I'm 80 now.....
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

tyrolean_skier wrote:
Pedro wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
I think we forget outsourcing has been in our economy for years and is a normal part of business.

I have worked on teams that involved people overseas, and from my own experiences I think it hurts companies. Many of them can get away with it because India sends us sloppy code for half price and we can correct it in a short period of time so the company still saves money.

But like I said, a company will do what it can to cut costs. It's always been that way since I can remember (I'm only 21 haha).

E
Pedro

Post by Pedro »

tyrolean_skier wrote:
Pedro wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
I hear ya, after i was done with the Infantry I was a signal officer in the army, (communications) I delt with everything from telecom to satelite. I thought i was going to have people banging on my door for communications jobs when i got out, but the economy changed drastically by that time.
DMC
Post Office

Post by DMC »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote: It's always been that way since I can remember (I'm only 21 haha).
...brat...

I remember being shocked when we first heard about outsourcing... In 1983 when I started with AT&T - you got hired for life - if you wanted it...
Out of the 100 or so people I knew at AT&T there's maybe 4 left on the AT&T payroll...
Pedro

Post by Pedro »

DMC wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote: It's always been that way since I can remember (I'm only 21 haha).
...brat...

I remember being shocked when we first heard about outsourcing... In 1983 when I started with AT&T - you got hired for life - if you wanted it...
Out of the 100 or so people I knew at AT&T there's maybe 4 left on the AT&T payroll...
2 years ago I thought the same thing, that i would have a job for life at merck... You never heard of anyone getting fired, layed off etc. I told this guy who started after me,, hey your set for life buddy how does it feel? four months later they laid off 4.000 people...one year later Viox Bites it. Things are still good, and im not complaining but things are still changing.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

DMC wrote:
...brat...

That I am. Although I was born in 1983 it's been engraved in my head that job security it's basically non-exsistent these days.

Since I grew up with this notion, and saw my Dad laid off after 25 years of service to a large corporation....it's just showed me that budgeting my money wisely and always being prepared to be laid off is a neccasity. My parents have been a great example of "saving money for a rainy day" and I plan to do the same. Had we not budgeted our money as well as we did we would have been in trouble.

Hopefully I'll find a job with security but I don't plan on it. I just want more experience to throw on my resume...because lets face it, without that I'll have a really hard time getting a job. However, so far so good. At 21 I've worked for two large corporations....going on to 3 by this March.

Which brings me to another point....I think all colleges should make internships/co-op's mandatory.

E
DMC
Post Office

Post by DMC »

Pedro wrote:2 years ago I thought the same thing, that i would have a job for life at merck... You never heard of anyone getting fired, layed off etc. I told this guy who started after me,, hey your set for life buddy how does it feel? four months later they laid off 4.000 people...one year later Viox Bites it. Things are still good, and im not complaining but things are still changing.
Which building at MERCK? Have friends that used to work on the DBMS stuff there... Oracle and Teradata

My last gig was with Medco... Lots of ex-MERCK people there... MEDCO was going to offer me a job but this one in Albany with CSC came up first.. And I can live in the mountains... So I took it!!!
Great having a fulltime gig... Even if it is slower then I'm used to...
Pedro

Post by Pedro »

DMC wrote:
Pedro wrote:2 years ago I thought the same thing, that i would have a job for life at merck... You never heard of anyone getting fired, layed off etc. I told this guy who started after me,, hey your set for life buddy how does it feel? four months later they laid off 4.000 people...one year later Viox Bites it. Things are still good, and im not complaining but things are still changing.
Which building at MERCK? Have friends that used to work on the DBMS stuff there... Oracle and Teradata

My last gig was with Medco... Lots of ex-MERCK people there... MEDCO was going to offer me a job but this one in Albany with CSC came up first.. And I can live in the mountains... So I took it!!!
Great having a fulltime gig... Even if it is slower then I'm used to...
Yeah medco was spun off from merck right when i got hired, i work in West Point, PA...Not doing anything with communications, had to fall back on my college degree :)