Ukraine leaving the "coalition of the arm twisted"

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
DMC
Post Office

Ukraine leaving the "coalition of the arm twisted"

Post by DMC »

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/12/ ... index.html
Ukraine's parliament Friday passed a measure demanding that President Leonid Kuchma remove the country's nearly 1,700 troops from Iraq. The move comes as the country's high court deliberates to resolve an election dispute over who will replace the outgoing president. The measure to remove the troops had been expected to pass.
CAPBOY
Guru Poster

Re: Ukraine leaving the "coalition of the arm twisted&q

Post by CAPBOY »

DMC wrote:http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/12/ ... index.html
Ukraine's parliament Friday passed a measure demanding that President Leonid Kuchma remove the country's nearly 1,700 troops from Iraq. The move comes as the country's high court deliberates to resolve an election dispute over who will replace the outgoing president. The measure to remove the troops had been expected to pass.
You seem to get enjoyment out of this?

Does it surprise you? I mean the guy won the election the first time by rigging the vote. Now that the re-vote has been ordered, the guy has to use any tactic he can to try to win.
DMC
Post Office

Re: Ukraine leaving the "coalition of the arm twisted&a

Post by DMC »

CAPBOY wrote:Does it surprise you? I mean the guy won the election the first time by rigging the vote. Now that the re-vote has been ordered, the guy has to use any tactic he can to try to win.
It just seems anytime there's political change in other countries... The first thing they do after the new guy takes office is pull troops out of Iraq...

Just an observation...
CAPBOY
Guru Poster

Post by CAPBOY »

DMC wrote:
CAPBOY wrote:Does it surprise you? I mean the guy won the election the first time by rigging the vote. Now that the re-vote has been ordered, the guy has to use any tactic he can to try to win.
It just seems anytime there's political change in other countries... The first thing they do after the new guy takes office is pull troops out of Iraq...

Just an observation...
I'm not trying to deny that war is unpopular. Why would it be? Who wants to die? Who wants to kill people? I have a cousin in Iraq. I have a brother that could end up there. Do you think that I could possibly want anything to happen to them? On the other hand, I have a nephew (another brother) and maybe kids soon that I would want to have kids grow up without the fear that we have. Its not going to go away by cowtowing to the consensus.

But you can not effectively govern or manage if you are trying to win an outright popularity contest. But then again, As apparent in the Ukraine, they can't.
DMC
Post Office

Post by DMC »

CAPBOY wrote: I'm not trying to deny that war is unpopular. Why would it be? Who wants to die? Who wants to kill people? I have a cousin in Iraq. I have a brother that could end up there. Do you think that I could possibly want anything to happen to them? On the other hand, I have a nephew (another brother) and maybe kids soon that I would want to have kids grow up without the fear that we have. Its not going to go away by cowtowing to the consensus.
Now why would I want people to die? Why do you even pose that question...??? What do you think I am?? Sometimes I really want to reach through my monitor and shake some sense into you guys...!!! ;)

I am a peaceful persom that wishes no harm on anyone...
Hippy - Remember????

I personally never feared Iraq... I fear Al Quida... But Iraq... no... Now that Iraq is a terrorist playland - I fear more for the people living there..

But - I got news for you... Lot's of people think - and I agree - that this will be a generational war... You Nephews kids may be fighting this war on terror...
DMC
Post Office

Post by DMC »

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtm ... ID=7015703

Report: CIA Paints Pessimistic Iraq Picture
Tue Dec 7, 2004 07:35 AM ET

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The situation in Iraq is unlikely to improve anytime soon, according to a classified cable and briefings from the CIA, The New York Times reported on Tuesday.
The assessments are more pessimistic than the Bush administration's portrayal of the situation to the public, government officials told the newspaper.

The classified cable -- sent last month by the CIA's station chief in Baghdad after the completion of a one-year tour of duty there -- painted a bleak picture of Iraq's politics, economics and security and reiterated briefings by Michael Kostiw, a senior CIA official, according to the Times.

The station chief cannot be identified because he is still working undercover, the Times added.

The cable, described as "unusually candid," cautioned that security in the country is likely to deteriorate unless the Iraqi government makes significant progress in asserting its authority and building up the economy, the paper said.

Spokesmen for the White House and the CIA told the Times that they could not discuss intelligence matters and classified documents.