The Official "Things I learned from Atomic Thread"

Post here for sports discussions not related to skiing or riding
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Re: The Official "Things I learned from Atomic Thread"

Post by Dr. NO »

shortski wrote:Doc & SB and anyone else that doesn't get it. Whether municipal or private contractor the value of that wood would have been a consideration in the bid process. Taking away that income from the proper owners is grand larceny.

here's the penalties in CT based on the value of the wood.

Third (3rd) Degree Larceny $1001-$5000

Up to 5 years in Prison
Fines up to $5,000

Class D Felony
Fourth (4th) Degree Larceny $501-$1000

Up to 1 year in Jail
Fines up to $2,000

Class A Misdemeanor

The workers for the contractors could be charges with embezzlement.

Class A misdemeanor. The value of the property is $1,000 or more, but less than $2,000. Penalties include a fine of up to $2,000, up to one year in jail, or both. (Ct. Gen. Stat. Ann. § 53a-125.)
Class D felony. The value of the property is more than $2,000 but less than $10,000; the property is a vehicle worth $10,000 or less; the property is a public record; or the property is biological sample, culture, microorganism, or records a scientific secret, technical process, or invention. Penalties include a fine of up to $5,000, between one and five years in prison, or both. (Ct. Gen. Stat. Ann. § 53a-124.)
The contractors don't want the wood. Lately here, if you ask for a tree or three they will cut some and leave it. If nobody wants it, they have a HUGE chipper. On State highways and open areas they chip it, whole tree et. al. and blow it off the sides. In towns the contractor chips it into a truck which takes it to a land fill. THE DON'T sell the wood.

OH, CT now has a cut and transport permit required which may be a problem.
That transport Permit is self promoting and available any time. It applies to Wood you have or plan to split and burn but has NOT been treated OR Wood that may be transported within the State for sale or use which has been treated for disease or bugs. Reading on, Hartford, Fairfield, New Haven and Litchfield Counties prohibit import or export of untreated wood. Makes my head hurt.
Last edited by Dr. NO on Oct 23rd, '14, 13:57, edited 1 time in total.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

shortski wrote:Doc & SB and anyone else that doesn't get it. Whether municipal or private contractor the value of that wood would have been a consideration in the bid process. Taking away that income from the proper owners is grand larceny.

Up to 5 years in Prison
Fines up to $5,000

Class D Felony

Up to 1 year in Jail
Fines up to $2,000

Class A Misdemeanor

Class A misdemeanor. The value of the property is $1,000 or more, but less than $2,000. Penalties include a fine of up to $2,000, up to one year in jail, or both. (Ct. Gen. Stat. Ann. § 53a-125.)
Class D felony. The value of the property is more than $2,000 but less than $10,000; the property is a vehicle worth $10,000 or less; the property is a public record; or the property is biological sample, culture, microorganism, or records a scientific secret, technical process, or invention. Penalties include a fine of up to $5,000, between one and five years in prison, or both. (Ct. Gen. Stat. Ann. § 53a-124.)
Well they just did it on my street and we were asked if we wanted the wood that came from trees on our property or not.

I'd say 99% said no as no one uses wood here even tho we all have fireplaces.

So I guess it depends on where you are.
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
junior
Signature Poster

Post by junior »

SnoBrdr wrote:

Up to 5 years in Prison
Fines up to $5,000

Class D Felony

Up to 1 year in Jail
Fines up to $2,000

Class A Misdemeanor

Well they just did it on my street and we were asked if we wanted the wood that came from trees on our property or not.

I'd say 99% said no as no one uses wood here even tho we all have fireplaces.

So I guess it depends on where you are.
Don't you heat your trailer with wood?
Atomic1
Level 10K poster

Post by Atomic1 »

Landowners wanted it removed and cleaned up and it was quicker , easier and cleaner to do it how they did it. ! And they loved the wives coffee and donuts plus we supplied a case or two of water , snacks etc ...
Less and less people burn today as it's too much work !
junior
Signature Poster

Post by junior »

Atomic1 wrote:Landowners wanted it removed and cleaned up and it was quicker , easier and cleaner to do it how they did it. ! And they loved the wives coffee and donuts plus we supplied a case or two of water , snacks etc ...
I think more people burn today than ever.
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

Dr. NO wrote:

Up to 5 years in Prison
Fines up to $5,000

Class D Felony

Up to 1 year in Jail
Fines up to $2,000

Class A Misdemeanor

The contractors don't want the wood. Lately here, if you ask for a tree or three they will cut some and leave it. If nobody wants it, they have a HUGE chipper. On State highways and open areas they chip it, whole tree et. al. and blow it off the sides. In towns the contractor chips it into a truck which takes it to a land fill. THE DON'T sell the wood.

OH, CT now has a cut and transport permit required which may be a problem.
That transport Permit is self promoting and available any time. It applies to Wood you have or plan to split and burn but has NOT been treated OR Wood that may be transported within the State for sale or use which has been treated for disease or bugs. Reading on, Hartford, Fairfield, New Haven and Litchfield Counties prohibit import or export of untreated wood. Makes my head hurt.
I've seen the signs on 95 entering into Ct.

Vermont also has a campaign underway for the same thing.
Atomic1
Level 10K poster

Post by Atomic1 »

junior wrote:
Atomic1 wrote:Landowners wanted it removed and cleaned up and it was quicker , easier and cleaner to do it how they did it. ! And they loved the wives coffee and donuts plus we supplied a case or two of water , snacks etc ...
Burn wood that is ! Lots of wood burners are now pellet burners as they age and the young generation thinks it's barbarian .Also all the wood was from the neighborhood and no laws were broken !
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

Atomic1 wrote:
junior wrote:
Burn wood that is ! Lots of wood burners are now pellet burners as they age and the young generation thinks it's barbarian .Also all the wood was from the neighborhood and no laws were broken !
+1 on the pellets.

People usually don't want the mess, work and smell of the wood.
junior
Signature Poster

Post by junior »

Atomic1 wrote:
junior wrote:
Pellets are for pussies. Real men burn wood.
Atomic1
Level 10K poster

Post by Atomic1 »

junior wrote:
Atomic1 wrote:
junior wrote:

Why stop there ? Real men split it all by hand ! No mechanical splitters involved !

Just their 27 yr. old kid :lol:
junior
Signature Poster

Post by junior »

Atomic1 wrote:
junior wrote:
Atomic1 wrote:
junior wrote:

Why stop there ? Real men split it all by hand ! No mechanical splitters involved !

Just their 27 yr. old kid :lol:
Not everyone is in the same kind of shape you are in, especially for your age.
Atomic1
Level 10K poster

Post by Atomic1 »

Wait , hold on , go back ,... Did Junior just give me a compliment or is this a backhanded one with the AGE thing ?

Honestly I need the work , I'm even driving home different ways with an eye out ! We need another Oct. Snowstorm. I love going out there for an hour or two every day and swing n stack ! Love that crisp sound of the crack n split and then that sound of the split wood hitting the ground .
And I don't have any :cry: