NHL 2015-2016 Thread

Post here for sports discussions not related to skiing or riding
junior
Signature Poster

NHL 2015-2016 Thread

Post by junior »

Learned something new about hockey last night at MSG with the kids.

Rangers were up 3-1 vs. Coyotes with a couple minutes left in the 3rd.

Coyotes pulled their goalie, at which point Rick Nash got a loose puck and started down ice towards the empty net.

As he was crossing the blue line, he was pulled down from behind and the puck went into the near corner.

The Ref stopped play and pointed at the empty goal and signaled "Goal" even thought the puck never went into the net.

Never saw that before.

The rule: A player pulled down from behind when on a breakaway towards an empty net shall not be awarded a penalty shot. He shall be awarded a goal.

That was a new one to me.

Anyway, this is the 15/16 NHL thread.

Have at it....
Bubba
Site Admin

Re: NHL 2015-2016 Thread

Post by Bubba »

I didn't know that either but it certainly makes sense.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
junior
Signature Poster

Post by junior »

Bubba wrote:I didn't know that either but it certainly makes sense.
You, me, and the other 18,000 fans in the Garden last night. Ref was right on it though. Not sure even Nash himself understood why he was awarded a goal at first. Go figure. Fun night at MSG. The rib-eye at Nick and Stefs pregame didn't hurt either. Yes, the rule makes sense. Just guess that nobody in attendance knew the rule.

BTW, there was a certain Matt Harvey at the Ranger game last night. They put him up on the big screen and the place really went nuts for him. Yankee and Met fans alike. It seems that these Mets have united New York as far as baseball goes. Even the Yankee fans down here are rooting for the Mets. The city is really bugging out over them right now. Mets and Yankee fans alike. I find it kinda cool.

Why Harvey was sucking down beers at MSG is another story. You think the camera guys woulda told him to put the beer down before they put him up on the scoreboard. Guess you can take the kid out of New York, but you can't take New York out of the kid.

Gonna be a fun few weeks down here.

OK, back to hockey......
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Yo. Suppose that's one way for Nash to break into the goal column :wink:

Happy to see Torts back ! :like

When & Who will beat the 8-0 Habitants :?:

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
junior
Signature Poster

Post by junior »

brownman wrote:Yo. Suppose that's one way for Nash to break into the goal column :wink:

Happy to see Torts back ! :like

When & Who will beat the 8-0 Habitants :?:

I'll take a Nash goal anyway it comes at this point. He is going to explode in the goals column soon, just don't know when.

Torts will last a season (maybe) in Ohio.

Habs will go 77-5 this season, with all 5 losses coming at the hands of the Bruins.
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

You must have insider information :lol:
Do Bruins play all 5 of these on Ste. Catherine?
Swedish goalies Rule. Finland sucks.

Forever .. Goat Path
Nikoli
Poster Child Poster

Post by Nikoli »

How does everyone like the 3 on 3 overtime? Seems a bit silly but it sure is exciting
junior
Signature Poster

Post by junior »

3 on 3 OT is very exciting. Very different, but very exciting.

So much open real estate out there with only 6 skaters. Have only seen it once live so far, but I am def looking forward to the next one.

I'll reserve judgment until I see a few more of them.

Go Blue!!
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

junior wrote:3 on 3 OT is very exciting. Very different, but very exciting.

So much open real estate out there with only 6 skaters. Have only seen it once live so far, but I am def looking forward to the next one.

Go Blue!!
Go back to ties!
ImageImageImageImage
junior
Signature Poster

Post by junior »

Stormchaser wrote:

Go Blue!!
Go back to ties!
I agree with that 100%. Never thought they should have gone away from the tie system, but it is what it is and it ain't going back to that system.

I've always thought a team should not get a point for a loss. I still feel that way, but the game is what it is today.

The 3 on 3 OT is very exciting.
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

...and especially exciting when the refs call for a power play :shock:
Forever .. Goat Path
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

junior wrote:
Stormchaser wrote:

Go Blue!!
Go back to ties!
I agree with that 100%. Never thought they should have gone away from the tie system, but it is what it is and it ain't going back to that system.

I've always thought a team should not get a point for a loss. I still feel that way, but the game is what it is today.

Not a fan of the 'extra point'. Games are worth 2 points. Teams that can't determine a winner in 60 minutes, get an extra point. Underperformance gets rewarded...makes no sense. Only need for a winning result is playoff games, and in those instances, full overtime periods make sense.
ImageImageImageImage
junior
Signature Poster

Post by junior »

Stormchaser wrote:
junior wrote:
Stormchaser wrote:

Go Blue!!
Go back to ties!

Not a fan of the 'extra point'. Games are worth 2 points. Teams that can't determine a winner in 60 minutes, get an extra point. Underperformance gets rewarded...makes no sense. Only need for a winning result is playoff games, and in those instances, full overtime periods make sense.
They will never mess with the playoff format. That will always be next goal wins, no matter how long it takes.

The 3 on 3 in regular season OT, like it or not, agree with it or not, is still very exciting. Reminds me of the pond hockey we grew up playing.
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

junior wrote:
Stormchaser wrote:
junior wrote:
Stormchaser wrote:

Go Blue!!
Go back to ties!

They will never mess with the playoff format. That will always be next goal wins, no matter how long it takes.

The 3 on 3 in regular season OT, like it or not, agree with it or not, is still very exciting. Reminds me of the pond hockey we grew up playing.
Reminiscent of watching training camp if you ask me. Too much skills competition.
ImageImageImageImage
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Tuesday nite, the 9-0 Canadiens are in Vancouver.
Then on to Edmonton to break all-time start record :|

Could be a long year in the Atlantic Division... :sad:

From NHL.com.
Montreal's domination of its opponents has been thorough:

The Canadiens have allowed 12 goals in their nine victories.
They have outscored opponents 8-0 in the first period and 14-2 in the third.
The same 18 skaters and two goalies have dressed for all nine games. Fourteen of the 18 skaters have at least 1 goal.
They have trailed in a game for exactly 2:57; they allowed the first goal in a 4-1 win against the Red Wings on Oct. 17.
They have scored at least 3 goals in every game and had 12 in weekend wins against the Sabres (7-2) and Leafs (5-3).
8 of 9 wins have been by multiple goals. A 3-2 win at the Penguins on Oct. 13 was the only game decided by one goal.
Goaltender Carey Price is 7-0-0 with two shutouts. He has a 1.29 goals-against average and a .961 save percentagE.

The Bear is awakening in the Garden :like

Forever .. Goat Path