Red Sox 2016, 2017

Post here for sports discussions not related to skiing or riding
f.a.s.t.
Wanted Poster

Re: Red Sox 2016, 2017

Post by f.a.s.t. »

freeski wrote:The good guys are one game up. Keep winning and don't look back. Sox have the talent to go on a streak and build a bigly lead. :D

DISappointed no one chimed in on the infield fly rule. I've been looking into it and in addition to patting their bellies sometimes crews touch the brim of their cap instead. Butt, bellies is more common. I've never seen the cap. This is done very inconspicuously and you'll never notice unless you're at the game looking for it. It's not in the rule book (that I know of) it's just something the umps do to make sure their on the same page. How do I know this? I was at Fenway as a kid with the head of the NH high school basketball referees (also umped baseball) and he pointed it out to me. Next time your at a game look for it. A nice little piece of trivia. :barebutt:
As far as I know, the infield fly rule does not apply to live drives. I've always wondered why infielders don't intentionally drop line drives hit right at them to create double or triple plays?
!!!!!!!!!! MAKE AMERICA LOVE AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

freeski wrote:
daytripper wrote:
freeski wrote:
freeski wrote:Snobrder: What do MLB umpires do to signal the infield fly rule is in effect?
Answer: The umpires on the bases pat their stomachs. You won't see it unless you're at the game and looking for it.

GO RED SOX
Are you trying to make a joke? I don't get it if u are because that certainly is not the signal.
Are you trying to refute my statement. If you are you have given the correct signal. Are you thinking during the play when the ball has been hit, is in the air and the ump points to the sky? I'm talking about before the play and I'm right.
Never heard or seen anything like that, do you have some proof of this?
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

This is the best I can find. It's not MLB. It definitely happens with less than 2 out with men on 1st and 2nd or bases loaded. (If you haven't, read how I learned this) Or ask someone who knows the game and come back here and say "yep, FS was right". :wink:

I'm watching the Sox and will look for it, butt they never have the cameras on the bases umps right before the pitch.
INFIELD+FLY+SITUATION+SIGNAL.jpg
INFIELD+FLY+SITUATION+SIGNAL.jpg (94.95 KiB) Viewed 1240 times
I Belong A Long Way From Here.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

When the infield fly situation presents itself, members of the umpiring crew must signal each other. This can be done by utilizing one of a few different methods. The most prevalent today is touching the bill of the cap with a closed fist if none are out or with one finger if one is out. Another method is placing the open right hand over the chest. I have also seen some old-timers pointing upward with both thumbs while moving them slightly up and down.

So it is a less used method but is true so you are correct. I did have to do some digging to find that, but the touching the bill of the cap version which is said to be more prevalent I found much easier.
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

daytripper wrote:When the infield fly situation presents itself, members of the umpiring crew must signal each other. This can be done by utilizing one of a few different methods. The most prevalent today is touching the bill of the cap with a closed fist if none are out or with one finger if one is out. Another method is placing the open right hand over the chest. I have also seen some old-timers pointing upward with both thumbs while moving them slightly up and down.

So it is a less used method but is true so you are correct. I did have to do some digging to find that, but the touching the bill of the cap version which is said to be more prevalent I found much easier.
This was back 25 years, but I watch for it at games and have seen it 3 or so years ago. Looks like it's up the umpire crew. Perhaps younger guys prefer the hat. Thanks for your thoughtful response.
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

:like Eckersley .. Finally !

Price needs shaving and a dose of Boston reality.
Forever .. Goat Path
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

Sox gain another game today. :like Fox did a great job with Yankees game. Awesome coverage of the guy who wasn't playing. :dislike
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

freeski wrote:Sox gain another game today. :like Fox did a great job with Yankees game. Awesome coverage of the guy who wasn't playing. :dislike
Tough loss for the EE today, reminds me of the Sox loss in KC.
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

May we please have Rodriguez back .. soon ?
Fister should try basketball. :sad:

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

Last night when Bogaerts was hit on the wrist he acted like it might have broken it. So Farrell, in his infinite wisdom, leaves him in the game to run the bases. :roll: Nothing better for a broken arm than sliding or a collision. Farrell is holding the team back.
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

freeski wrote:Last night when Bogaerts was hit on the wrist he acted like it might have broken it. So Farrell, in his infinite wisdom, leaves him in the game to run the bases. :roll: Nothing better for a broken arm than sliding or a collision. Farrell is holding the team back.
Give it a rest, Farrell has a 4 game lead.
Atomic1
Level 10K poster

Post by Atomic1 »

Fire up the duck boats ! The Pablo Sandoval era is over in Boston !

Sandoval was informed Friday that he has been designated for assignment, the Red Sox announced. The move effectively terminates one of the worst free-agent signings in franchise history, although the Red Sox still owe the 30-year-old third baseman approximately $49 million through the end of the 2019 season.
So who will be the next Red Sox third baseman ? Oh yea, this is really going to hurt the PAYROLL situation !
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

Atomic1 wrote:Fire up the duck boats ! The Pablo Sandoval era is over in Boston !

Sandoval was informed Friday that he has been designated for assignment, the Red Sox announced. The move effectively terminates one of the worst free-agent signings in franchise history, although the Red Sox still owe the 30-year-old third baseman approximately $49 million through the end of the 2019 season.
So who will be the next Red Sox third baseman ? Oh yea, this is really going to hurt the PAYROLL situation !
Won't add any additional pain to the payroll.
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Pitching and Outfield are gonna be just fine. :like
They're working hard to fix 3rd base.
Devers is moving up the depth chart.
Need a new Dominican in the Fens. :wink:

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
Atomic1
Level 10K poster

Post by Atomic1 »

It's too quiet in here so ; ... In my opinion Yankee rookie Judge would have a hard time fitting in the Red Sox outfield where the Sox have 2 All-Stars from last season in Betts and Bradley and another kid in Bentendi who might be a better fielder than Judge and does it all with the bat except he's not the home run hitter Judge is . So I think Judge would play first base in Boston and I'd even bet he eventually plays First base in NY , it's just a matter of time!