Official: Thousands of troops will head to border

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Bush to outline plan in Monday night Oval Office address

Monday, May 15, 2006; Posted: 8:28 a.m. EDT (12:28 GMT)

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President Bush will order fewer than 10,000 National Guard troops to the U.S.-Mexico border to support Border Patrol agents in stopping illegal immigration, a senior administration official said Monday.

Bush will outline his plan in a televised speech to the nation at 8 p.m. ET Monday, the official said.

The troops -- about 3 percent of all National Guard units -- will not be involved in apprehending illegal immigrants, the official said.

The president's speech comes as conservative Republicans -- many who are running in midterm elections -- support new legislation aimed at increasing punishment for people who enter the United States illegally. The issue also has prompted nationwide protests by hundreds of thousands of immigration supporters over the past weeks.

White House counselor Dan Bartlett said Monday that the move does not represent "a militarization of the borders," The Associated Press reported.

Appearing on CBS' "The Early Show," Bartlett said Guard forces sent to the area "will not have law enforcement responsibilities or powers. They will be there in a supportive role. ... It's about a constitutional responsibility to enforce our borders," the AP reported.

Mexican President Vicente Fox said in a written statement Sunday that he has told Bush that he's worried about a U.S. move to "militarize" the roughly 2,000-mile border, one of the longest unfortified frontiers in the world.

The proposal has drawn criticism from members of both major U.S. parties, with one key Republican senator saying Sunday he has "a lot of questions" about the idea.

But Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist dismissed the concerns, saying the use of National Guard troops is the only short-term solution to stem the flow of illegal immigrants.

"The only thing that we can do to secure our borders right now is to give our states help, and that is best done through the National Guard," the Tennessee Republican told CNN's "Late Edition."

Bush has discussed the "stopgap" proposal to bolster border security with National Guard troops, along with "a lot of [other] ideas," with members of Congress, national security adviser Stephen Hadley told CNN.

Hadley stressed that it "is not a new" idea.

"It's not about militarization of the border. It's about assisting the civilian border patrol in doing their job, providing intelligence, providing support, logistics support and training," Hadley said.

Under the plan, Pentagon sources have said the federal government will foot the bill for activating several thousand additional National Guard troops to augment security along the border in California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas.

Key Republican skeptical
Sen. Chuck Hagel, R-Nebraska, reacted cautiously to the proposal.

"I think we have to be very careful here," Hagel said on ABC's "This Week." "That's not the role of our National Guard."

Hagel, a sponsor of compromise immigration legislation before the Senate, said the U.S. military is already stretched "as thin as we've ever seen it in modern times."

"I'll listen to the president, but I've got a lot of questions," said Hagel, a Vietnam War veteran.

That sentiment echoed Friday's comments by Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid, who said that National Guard forces were too "overextended" and "depleted" by service in Iraq and the Gulf Coast to secure the border.

"We have thousands and thousands of guard and reserve troops in Iraq; now we're going to ask them to go to the border?" the Nevada Democrat said. "I don't think they are able to do that."

Frist dismissed Reid's comment as "whining" and "moaning."

"We hear it from the American people, we've got millions of people coming across that border -- first and foremost, secure the border, whatever it takes," he said.

"Everything else we've done has failed. We've got to face that." (More from Frist)

Active-duty U.S. troops are barred from domestic law enforcement by a Reconstruction-era law known as Posse Comitatus, but National Guard troops under state control can perform some law enforcement functions.

Frist restated his confidence that an immigration bill proposal will be completed before Memorial Day, May 29.

Sen. Joe Biden, D-Delaware, told ABC, "I think it's more likely than not" that it will be law by the November midterm elections.

Leaders push 'comprehensive' bill
In Sunday's half-hour telephone call, Fox's office said Bush told him "what was being analyzed was the administrative and logistical support by the National Guard, not by the Army, to police the border."

White House spokeswoman Maria Tamburri said Bush told Fox that what his administration is considering "is not a militarization of the border but support of Border Patrol capabilities on a temporary basis by National Guard personnel."

"The president reiterated to President Fox his commitment to comprehensive immigration reform," Tamburri said.

The statement from Fox's office said both leaders agreed that solving the issue of border control is a joint responsibility that can be resolved "only through integral and comprehensive reform."

"The two leaders are in agreement in pointing out that the problems of the border are shared tasks and joint responsibilities," it added.

Bush has stressed that "comprehensive" immigration legislation would include a temporary guest-worker program, and the National Guard proposal could help win over some in his party who favor more enforcement.
A step in the right direction, IMHO. However, the fact that GWB told Fox that this is 'temporary' makes me suspect of the plan.
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

More like a case of the government doing anything regardless of whether it makes sense or not.
What is not possible is not to choose. ~Jean-Paul Sartre

XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

BigKahuna13 wrote:More like a case of the government doing anything regardless of whether it makes sense or not.
Since GWB said it's "temporary" I felt it might have been a move to help republicans in the elections coming up...
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
BigKahuna13 wrote:More like a case of the government doing anything regardless of whether it makes sense or not.
Since GWB said it's "temporary" I felt it might have been a move to help republicans in the elections coming up...
Ya think.....

yeti
Powderhound

Post by yeti »

Looks like Taco Bell is going to be pretty busy.
Thanks for the mammaries! (.)(.)
BrockVond
Powderhound

Re: Official: Thousands of troops will head to border

Post by BrockVond »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
A step in the right direction, IMHO. However, the fact that GWB told Fox that this is 'temporary' makes me suspect of the plan.
Can't we just have the NSA illegally wiretap all of Mexico? Certainly would be more cost effective.
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Re: Official: Thousands of troops will head to border

Post by BigKahuna13 »

BrockVond wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
Can't we just have the NSA illegally wiretap all of Mexico? Certainly would be more cost effective.
Would need to get some illegals to translate first.

johnny the jibber
Level 10K poster

Post by johnny the jibber »

Si
he would shove your ass so far up your ass and stuff! -thejet61 10/2/09

If a snowboarder is in front of me or to the side I assume the slobbering moron will cut from one side of the trail to the other -GSKI 1/17/12
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

What a disgrace! Argh! Just when I thought something was being done!
The Bush administration has been unable to muster even half of the 2,500 National Guardsmen it planned to have on the Mexican border by the end of June.

As of Thursday, the next-to-last day of the month, fewer than 1,000 troops were in place, according to military officials in the four border states of Texas, California, New Mexico and Arizona.
Full Story : http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/06/29/D8II3LHO4.html
ski_adk
Bumper

Post by ski_adk »

Well duh (not directed at you XJ)! Most of our guardsmen are involved in Iraq or Katrina. You can't allocate troops to the border when they're already allocated elsewhere on critical missions.

It really disgusts me how Bush and his cronies use our armed forces as political pawns. No wonder enlistment numbers suck. Would you want to leave your family for months on end to sit in a desert somewhere - regardless whether it's in America or Iraq?
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:What a disgrace! Argh! Just when I thought something was being done!
The Bush administration has been unable to muster even half of the 2,500 National Guardsmen it planned to have on the Mexican border by the end of June.

As of Thursday, the next-to-last day of the month, fewer than 1,000 troops were in place, according to military officials in the four border states of Texas, California, New Mexico and Arizona.
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

ski_adk wrote:Well duh (not directed at you XJ)! Most of our guardsmen are involved in Iraq or Katrina. You can't allocate troops to the border when they're already allocated elsewhere on critical missions.

It really disgusts me how Bush and his cronies use our armed forces as political pawns. No wonder enlistment numbers suck. Would you want to leave your family for months on end to sit in a desert somewhere - regardless whether it's in America or Iraq?
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:What a disgrace! Argh! Just when I thought something was being done!

And let's not forget that most guardsmen have lives outside of the guard and budgets that are based on incomes they're not receiving while they play political pawns.