Middle East impact on the ski industry

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
Geoff
Whipping Post

Middle East impact on the ski industry

Post by Geoff »

So...

What happens if Israel ends up turning Iran into a parking lot? I see oil prices shooting up to $150 to $200/barrel. Gasoline hits $7.00/gallon at the pump. Home heating oil & diesel fuel hits $6.00/gallon. Electricity costs double.

I think an event like this would trash Killington. They'd see yet another 20% fall-off in skier visits. They'd only be able to make half as much snow since they couldn't afford the energy costs. The vacation home market would go into the shitter. Real estate prices would go back to 1990 levels. The State of Vermont would react by setting the Act 68 commercial & vacation home property tax rate at 4% to prop up spending. That would just further the death spiral.
Talisman
Black Carver

Post by Talisman »

I'm optimistic and see the upside of your scenario. With fewer skier visits more untracked snow, less grooming and less faux sneax makes for better conditions, fewer toursits may make for less additude at the resorts and fewer people crowding the Long Trail Brew Pub and I-91. Once you are past the high prices at the pump there is an upside. Hey, I look back at the winter of '71-'72 with fodness.
St. Jerry
Powderhound

Post by St. Jerry »

Talisman wrote:I'm optimistic and see the upside of your scenario. With fewer skier visits more untracked snow, less grooming and less faux sneax makes for better conditions, fewer toursits may make for less additude at the resorts and fewer people crowding the Long Trail Brew Pub and I-91. Once you are past the high prices at the pump there is an upside. Hey, I look back at the winter of '71-'72 with fodness.
Keep your fingers crossed. We can only hope.
Ron Paul 2012
Dirty Old Ski Bastard
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Dirty Old Ski Bastard »

St. Jerry wrote:
Talisman wrote:I'm optimistic and see the upside of your scenario. With fewer skier visits more untracked snow, less grooming and less faux sneax makes for better conditions, fewer toursits may make for less additude at the resorts and fewer people crowding the Long Trail Brew Pub and I-91. Once you are past the high prices at the pump there is an upside. Hey, I look back at the winter of '71-'72 with fodness.
Keep your fingers crossed. We can only hope.
Theory sounds all well and good, but if it dont snow, it dont matter.
BITE ME!
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Re: Middle East impact on the ski industry

Post by Dr. NO »

Geoff wrote:So...

What happens if Israel ends up turning Iran into a parking lot? I see oil prices shooting up to $150 to $200/barrel. Gasoline hits $7.00/gallon at the pump. Home heating oil & diesel fuel hits $6.00/gallon. Electricity costs double.

I think an event like this would trash Killington. They'd see yet another 20% fall-off in skier visits. They'd only be able to make half as much snow since they couldn't afford the energy costs. The vacation home market would go into the shitter. Real estate prices would go back to 1990 levels. The State of Vermont would react by setting the Act 68 commercial & vacation home property tax rate at 4% to prop up spending. That would just further the death spiral.
AS a loss of Iranian Oil on the World Market might drive prices up, That same oil had to be refined and returned to Iran for use, since they have NO REFINERIES of their own. So, Loss of Crude to gain of usable supply could balance the trade and costs.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

While I like the thought of fewer people on the hill and more freshies and real snow, it is unrealistic to even think the resorts could survive with continued loss of skier visits and revenue. With loss of skiers, they would have to (oh my) reduce grooming, but also use fewer chairs for access to the mountain.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
St. Jerry
Powderhound

Post by St. Jerry »

Dr. NO wrote:
While I like the thought of fewer people on the hill and more freshies and real snow, it is unrealistic to even think the resorts could survive with continued loss of skier visits and revenue. With loss of skiers, they would have to (oh my) reduce grooming, but also use fewer chairs for access to the mountain.
The Horror, the horror!
Ron Paul 2012