DID YOU KNOW?

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Cityskier wrote:
BigKahuna13 wrote:Not to pick nits but draft registration and the draft are two different things.
The country swallowed draft registration back in 1980 or whenever it was. I seriously doubt there's much - if any - popular support for a draft.

Actually I think any politican who actually voted to reinstate the draft would be committing political suicide.
Yes, I registered for the draft. My point was that the military does not fill its ranks by use of the draft. If our military was made up by a compulsory draft that included kids from all strata of the socioeconomic landscape and the potential existed for the 18 yo son of a member of congress to have to go fight in a conflict such as the one currently festering in Iraq, maybe the policy of our gov't. would be different and they would be a little more discerning about what was worth fighting for.
Yep, that sure helped us stay out of Vietnam and get out quicker than we would have without a draft.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Cityskier
Wanted Poster

Post by Cityskier »

Trite sarcasm...you are the master.

A draft system with no exceptions would get some attention. A little different then the reality of the Vietnam draft.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Cityskier wrote:Trite sarcasm...you are the master.

A draft system with no exceptions would get some attention. A little different then the reality of the Vietnam draft.
LOL...that's different. We had a compulsory draft. We did not have universal service.

BTW, a minor point of order. It wasn't the "Vietnam draft". It was the draft system that had been in place for years, well before the Vietnam War. Vietnam merely brought out the flaws in the system because so many draftees were needed. The problems highlighted by that era is the reason we have today's all volunteer force.

I would support universal service - whether military or some other type of service such as the Peace Corp, etc.

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

Bubba wrote:

LOL...that's different. We had a compulsory draft. We did not have universal service.

BTW, a minor point of order. It wasn't the "Vietnam draft". It was the draft system that had been in place for years, well before the Vietnam War. Vietnam merely brought out the flaws in the system because so many draftees were needed. The problems highlighted by that era is the reason we have today's all volunteer force.

I would support universal service - whether military or some other type of service such as the Peace Corp, etc.
Alhough the downside to an all volunteer force is that breeds elitism among the military and insulates them from the rest of society, both of which are potentially troublesome
What is not possible is not to choose. ~Jean-Paul Sartre

Cityskier
Wanted Poster

Post by Cityskier »

Bubba wrote:

Maybe staying away from the political forum was the way to go! Especially after a shitty day. :lol:

can i go skiing yet?
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

BigKahuna13 wrote:
Bubba wrote:

Alhough the downside to an all volunteer force is that breeds elitism among the military and insulates them from the rest of society, both of which are potentially troublesome
We've had both all volunteer and draftee militaries in our 230 year history and the problems with both are obvious. I'd actually prefer universal service to both of the other options but I doubt we'll ever see that.

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

F. Scott Fitzgerald

Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

I'm with you Bubba, mandatory service for at least 2 years. If you feel you could not serve in the Military then public service of some sort.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

Dr. NO wrote:I'm with you Bubba, mandatory service for at least 2 years. If you feel you could not serve in the Military then public service of some sort.
How's that different from slavery?

Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

BigKahuna13 wrote:
Dr. NO wrote:I'm with you Bubba, mandatory service for at least 2 years. If you feel you could not serve in the Military then public service of some sort.
HUH? You have to show up for Jury Duty. Why not have required service, either military or civil. If you consider that slavery, well then I guess everyone that was drafted was a slave. Or thinking like that, everyone who is serving in the Military is a slave because once you sign on, the truly OWN you.

Would more prepare us for conflict and war and would not hurt many of the people who have no disiplin in their lives.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

Dr. NO wrote:
BigKahuna13 wrote:
HUH? You have to show up for Jury Duty. Why not have required service, either military or civil. If you consider that slavery, well then I guess everyone that was drafted was a slave. Or thinking like that, everyone who is serving in the Military is a slave because once you sign on, the truly OWN you.

Would more prepare us for conflict and war and would not hurt many of the people who have no disiplin in their lives.
Yes the draft - note I said draft not volunteer service - is exactly like slavery. A person is forced to do a job that they don't want to do. That, by definition, is slavery. Jury Duty is no different.

Volunteer service is different because, well, you volunteer.