FWD..no more 4WD-any tips or suggestions on driving?

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

tirolerpeter
Beginner On Rentals

Re: FWD

Post by tirolerpeter »

Skibumtress wrote:
tirolerpeter wrote:Skibumptress you have me curious. What does turning up the heat in your vehicle have to do with fuel economy?
Doesn't using your heat suck up gas? :oops:
Shows ya what I know about cars. But, hey.... I know how to change a fan belt!
O.K., just thought you might have an air cooled car that had a gasoline fired heater. For those of you that are not "motor heads" or just young, there used to be such animals around. You do however use more fuel when you run your A/C for cooling, and in most cars, when you run the windshield defroster, which automatically turns on the compressor. This is because the A/C compressor uses some engine power and as we all know: "There is no such thing as a free lunch."

Mogulmouse: While I don't have any specific bias in favor of one SUV over another, what is it about the "solid rear axle" on the Jeep Liberty that makes you recommend it? About six weeks ago I had a Durango rental in Salt Lake, and despite the "no season" tires it did really well in snow in All Wheel Drive Mode and had a lot of room in the back. We used "4 wheel lock" in one situation where there was major ice, but then we never went over 20 mph until we cleared the area.
tirolerpeter
Beginner On Rentals

Multiple posts

Post by tirolerpeter »

Sorry about the multiple posts: Computer went nuts, and I can't figure out how to delete the extras.
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Re: Multiple posts

Post by Dr. NO »

tirolerpeter wrote:Sorry about the multiple posts: Computer went nuts, and I can't figure out how to delete the extras.
should be able to just open the thread and hit the X next to the EDIT button for the extra posts.
You or an admin must delete or edit your posts.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
shortski
Site Admin

Re: FWD..no more 4WD-any tips or suggestions on driving?

Post by shortski »

joesixpack wrote:Any suggestions on new vehicles with 4WD that dont need premium gas and get more than 15MPG?
NOt wanting to spend 30K on a hybrid Escape either.. any ideas?

J6P :?:
http://www.suzukiauto.com/sr_05/xl7/spe ... ricing.php

http://www.suzukiauto.com/sr_05/grand_v ... ricing.php

Had two of the precursor to these, the Sidekick Sport, great little vehicles in a combined 140,000 miles neither was ever back to the dealer. Normal maintenance, change the oil every 3000 brakes at 50,000, and I got an honest 24MPG in combined highway/city driving, but that was with a four cyl, the new models have a V6 and they need it, the 4 cyl was underpowered, my only complaint. Still have one as a back up vehicle. The Vitara is OK if you don't need the extra room, the XL-7 will seat 7 in a pinch, but it's the extra cargo room that would interest me with two dogs. Give them a test drive, you might be surprised.
Cogito, ergo sum

Sometimes it is that simple.

ImageImage
schuss
Black Carver

Post by schuss »

wanderer7453 wrote:get areal sport vehicle a wrangler
ha! Short wheelbase 4wd in snow=fun but scary for those who don't know how to deal with it.

Heat: doesn't use up gas, as you're simply pulling the extra heat from the motor. I suppose you could make an argument that the fan pulls some energy to run, but its negligible. Nothing like the AC compressor drain.

Solid Rear Axle: great for offroading, but for any road that's officially marked, largely unnecessary. Anyone who "needs" a solid rear axle to simply drive to a ski mountain either doesn't know how to drive or is obsessed with macho trucks, especially since articulation (the advantage of a solid axle) isn't always the most useful thing for snow. Clearance is.
shortski
Site Admin

Re: Multiple posts

Post by shortski »

Dr. NO wrote:
tirolerpeter wrote:Sorry about the multiple posts: Computer went nuts, and I can't figure out how to delete the extras.
should be able to just open the thread and hit the X next to the EDIT button for the extra posts.
You or an admin must delete or edit your posts.
Done
Cogito, ergo sum

Sometimes it is that simple.

ImageImage
Bling Skier
Postinator

Post by Bling Skier »

I hich hike every where i go. so i can not add any pertinent information to this thread.
Geoff the sound a cat make as it coughs up a hairball.
mogulmouse
Powderhound

Post by mogulmouse »

the durangos are O.K. ,my dad has one also , only 4x4 option it has is "4x4 lock" no "Awd".... The day after halloween i drove up in it with friends and hit a nasty 10 miles on 80 right before boreal. They're not bad and i made great time in it heh. I was on i-80 4x4lock keeping it under 50 :twisted: Only other thing on the road was rigs and 1/2 ton+ trucks

I'm bringing my truck this time since the weather conditions will call for a real truck. I have mud terrains so hopefully i'll get away without needing to chain up even though they're calling for it.... i have then anyways so either way...

The nice thing 'bout the solid axle besides being able to flex way more, is its stronger also ,and doesnt have stupid short axles to snap. If clearence is "your" issue in the liberty or a vehichle in its class... a vehichle with a straight axle is much easier and more cost effect to lift vs something with IRS. Do they even make lift kits for vechicles in the jeep liberty "class" besides for just the liberty...what else is in its class?

We've made it up bear mountain road for over 12 years in a 1982 BMW 320i(REAR WHEEL DRIVE) with out ever getting stuck....snow tires. Only year we ever had trouble was when the ownership/plow responsibility changed between the town and resort a couple years back and we got up late and the road was un-plowwed.... true 4x4 would have handled it No prob.... like the beast trucks they have at HABROs..... those things are monsters.... Ive been towed up to sunrise in one in the snow before...crazy.... " you mean you can tow us up hill in this" :lol: Those switchbacks are white-knuckle...and i wasnt driving
massivslinky
Green Skidder

Get yourself one of these.

Post by massivslinky »

I drive it's arch nemesis the STi, but the EVO is a good car and you gotta give it it's due respect.

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetod ... MXk1NDE%3D

No snow driving in mine until next year since it only has summer tires. Next year I'll get a rim/tire package and then ... 8)

Rally cars are fun. Love being able to make near 90 degree angle turns and drift through corners.