Federalist or Anti-federalist?

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
icedtea
Guru Poster

Federalist or Anti-federalist?

Post by icedtea »

So I am stuck studying Con Law cases on this beautiful day? Are you people for a stronger federal government or a weaker federal government?
"To have the truth in your possession you can be found guilty, sentenced to death."
Peter Tosh
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

It's not as simple as that. Define the roles of government, then decide whether those roles are better served at the federal level or at the state/local level. We tend to argue in "either - or" terms but, as with so many other things, there's a grey area where the real solutions lie, and those solutions may vary from situation to situation, circumstance to circumstance.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
icedtea
Guru Poster

Post by icedtea »

Bubba wrote:It's not as simple as that. Define the roles of government, then decide whether those roles are better served at the federal level or at the state/local level. We tend to argue in "either - or" terms but, as with so many other things, there's a grey area where the real solutions lie, and those solutions may vary from situation to situation, circumstance to circumstance.
former justics scalia would probably disargree.. ha sorry

yeah i feel that you are right, there shouldn't be a rigid guideline. our country's history is pretty fascinating. it seems like the fed. goverment just sticks it head in when it feels its moral obligation to do so. ex. gonzales v. raich. should be a really interesting next ten years that will shape a very long time to come in my opinion. how do you feel about the upcoming election? any early favorites?
"To have the truth in your possession you can be found guilty, sentenced to death."
Peter Tosh
millerm277
Postaholic

Post by millerm277 »

icedtea wrote:
Bubba wrote:It's not as simple as that. Define the roles of government, then decide whether those roles are better served at the federal level or at the state/local level. We tend to argue in "either - or" terms but, as with so many other things, there's a grey area where the real solutions lie, and those solutions may vary from situation to situation, circumstance to circumstance.
How do you feel about the upcoming election? any early favorites?
I like Obama....he seems to be the one of the most honest dems, and much of what he says isn't completely BS. Of course, the reason he seems to be the most honest could just be because he hasn't been around long enough for us to find out all his faults...

As for federal govt, I don't really like a very involved govt, and I don't like it passing laws that affect everyone, because what is good for one state isn't necessarily good for another.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

icedtea wrote:
former justics scalia would probably disargree.. ha sorry
Former?????
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
icedtea
Guru Poster

Post by icedtea »

ha right....i always get him and rehnquist messed up. you guys hear about the latest casey case? partial birth abortions are illegal, even wit?hout a health exception for the mother. shouldn't this be up to the state
Peter Tosh
icedtea
Guru Poster

Post by icedtea »

i do hope obama wins, if hillary wins i guess my vote will go to a third party again.
Peter Tosh
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

icedtea wrote:ha right....i always get him and rehnquist messed up. you guys hear about the latest casey case? partial birth abortions are illegal, even wit?hout a health exception for the mother. shouldn't this be up to the state
Yup. But we only pay lip service to states rights. Been that way since the
"war of northern agression".

(forgive me for that. I just spent a week in the south and am STILL saying "y'all").
What is not possible is not to choose. ~Jean-Paul Sartre

icedtea
Guru Poster

Post by icedtea »

BigKahuna13 wrote:
icedtea wrote:ha right....i always get him and rehnquist messed up. you guys hear about the latest casey case? partial birth abortions are illegal, even wit?hout a health exception for the mother. shouldn't this be up to the state
Yup. But we only pay lip service to states rights. Been that way since the
"war of northern agression".

(forgive me for that. I just spent a week in the south and am STILL saying "y'all").
haha...yankee!
Peter Tosh