May turns 5/12-5/13/2007 (pics and vids included)

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Mtn Man
Guru Poster

May turns 5/12-5/13/2007 (pics and vids included)

Post by Mtn Man »

Well, we closed out the season the right way. Got to earn turns on Sat at Superstar with various people from Kzone and TGR. Did a couple top to bottoms, few upper headwall laps, and one side trip to a ribbon on Ovation. Got to BBQ at the base and just soak in the day from 10am-6pm.

Sunday morning was spent clearing out the Basher house since it was our last day there. Got to Bear around 1030-11am and started the bootpack up. There was about 350ft of continuous vert and the group of us lapped it for a few hours, stopping every so often for a beer and to just savor the day. I did 7 laps while Treerat did around 9. The guy is an animal. The last turns were sublime, as I know that I won't be back until we ski the frost in Oct/Nov next season. Great skiing with SBF, Treerat, Phantom, Snowpez, SND, Doc No, Half-fast, and another TGR guy!

Here is the webshots link:
http://good-times.webshots.com/album/559033011qiCTcG

If it doesn't work right away, webshots is still loading it onto the server.

Enjoy, we sure did!

B)
Mmmmmm, sidecountry....
Dr Z
Powderhound

Post by Dr Z »

Good stuff. Thanks for taking the time to post 'em up.

I am - entertainment for the lift line!
skiboardfreak
Beginner On Rentals

Re: May turns 5/12-5/13/2007 (pics and vids included)

Post by skiboardfreak »

Mtn Man wrote:Well, we closed out the season the right way. Got to earn turns on Sat at Superstar with various people from Kzone and TGR. Did a couple top to bottoms, few upper headwall laps, and one side trip to a ribbon on Ovation. Got to BBQ at the base and just soak in the day from 10am-6pm.

Sunday morning was spent clearing out the Basher house since it was our last day there. Got to Bear around 1030-11am and started the bootpack up. There was about 350ft of continuous vert and the group of us lapped it for a few hours, stopping every so often for a beer and to just savor the day. I did 7 laps while Treerat did around 9. The guy is an animal. The last turns were sublime, as I know that I won't be back until we ski the frost in Oct/Nov next season. Great skiing with SBF, Treerat, Phantom, Snowpez, SND, Doc No, Half-fast, and another TGR guy!

Enjoy, we sure did!

B)
Ditto on the report - great snow to end the season on. Corn harvest on OL was in full effect throughout the day today, and Superstar was great yesterday as well. Also had some good dirt skiing in as well. Driving back on closing weekend is always bittersweet, but turns this weekend were worth the hike. There should be at least a reasonable patch on OL for Memorial Day (assuming weather cooperates) since the base is still fairly deep at the bottom, for those seeking their last few turns of the year.
andyzee
Level 10K poster

Post by andyzee »

Mtn Man wrote:Well, we closed out the season the right way.
Holy sh*t! The season is over? :lol:
Admins, I respectfully request that you do not delete this post or me, thank you.

Andyzone.com
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

skiboardfreak wrote:
Mtn Man wrote:Well, we closed out the season the right way. Got to earn turns on Sat at Superstar with various people from Kzone and TGR. Did a couple top to bottoms, few upper headwall laps, and one side trip to a ribbon on Ovation. Got to BBQ at the base and just soak in the day from 10am-6pm.

Enjoy, we sure did!

B)
Ditto on the report - great snow to end the season on. Corn harvest on OL was in full effect throughout the day today, and Superstar was great yesterday as well. Also had some good dirt skiing in as well. Driving back on closing weekend is always bittersweet, but turns this weekend were worth the hike. There should be at least a reasonable patch on OL for Memorial Day (assuming weather cooperates) since the base is still fairly deep at the bottom, for those seeking their last few turns of the year.
I guess I will be hiking all by myself next weekend since it seems that for all the ones that were up there this weekend it was their closing weekend. :( It won't be as much fun hiking by myself and probably will only do it once since I have to attend my condo association annual meeting in the afternoon. I will leave OL for some Sunday hiking.
andyzee
Level 10K poster

Post by andyzee »

tyrolean_skier wrote:
skiboardfreak wrote:

Enjoy, we sure did!

B)
I guess I will be hiking all by myself next weekend since it seems that for all the ones that were up there this weekend it was their closing weekend. :( It won't be as much fun hiking by myself and probably will only do it once since I have to attend my condo association annual meeting in the afternoon. I will leave OL for some Sunday hiking.
Ty, if the snow holds up, we plan on being there.
Admins, I respectfully request that you do not delete this post or me, thank you.

Andyzone.com
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Enjoy, we sure did!

B)
WOW, I am impressed that you all hiked all the way up to the headwall. I enjoyed the pictures and the videos too. Thanks for showing me what I missed. It was a nice day in the flatlands too.
buckethead
Slalom Racer

Post by buckethead »

yes, a fine time out there saturday and sunday!
and thanks for posting the pics, Mtn Man.
btw, the other TGR guy (with homemade fat boards) was L8APX. cool to see those skis in action!

yesterday after OL, i decided to see if there was anythig going on at SS.
i saw two skiers on the mid section, and a few at the bottom - enough motivation to re-boot up and hike again.

made it to the top of SS, took in the view to the south, and then enjoyed the longest run of the day. snow on SS was great again, and after the walk between headwall and mid section, got to ski the whole thing to the bottom.

got back to the car 1hour, 20mins later...enough light to do another, and someone pulled up to hit it around 5:20...but the boots were off, and it was time to head back home...i am now deciding whether to get back out today...
buckethead
Slalom Racer

Post by buckethead »

yes, a fine time out there saturday and sunday!
btw, the other TGR guy (with homemade fat boards) was L8APX. cool to see those skis in action!

i saw two skiers on the mid section, and a few at the bottom - enough motivation to re-boot up and hike again.

made it to the top of SS, took in the view to the south, and then enjoyed the longest run of the day. snow on SS was great again, and after the walk between headwall and mid section, got to ski the whole thing to the bottom.

got back to the car 1hour, 20mins later...enough light to do another, and someone pulled up to hit it around 5:20...but the boots were off, and it was time to head back home...i am now deciding whether to head back up there today...
G-smashed
Official KZone Historian

Post by G-smashed »

You mean the season's over here too? We didn't want to make anyone here feel bad so we did some hiking too. The bottom of Snowbird has melted out so bad that there was only one narrow chute left to ski down on continuous snow. Yesterday was the end of 7 day operation and maybe the end there altogether. Full TR to come later...

Mmmm ..real beer!

Don't Deer Valley Killington!
http://www.myeloma.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ffrf.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.keithrichards.com/
Doria
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Doria »

Your pictures and videos made for great Monday morning entertainment. Thanks!
Mtn Man
Guru Poster

Post by Mtn Man »

snowpez wrote:yes, a fine time out there saturday and sunday!

got back to the car 1hour, 20mins later...enough light to do another, and someone pulled up to hit it around 5:20...but the boots were off, and it was time to head back home...i am now deciding whether to head back up there today...
Wow, would have loved to take more turns on Sunday, but the 4.5 hour drive and additional house roundup told me otherwise. Luckily, the drive was uneventful and the legs are feeling good today. Enjoy the turns today if you're there, good skiing with you and thanks for the beers!

B)
Mmmmmm, sidecountry....
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

looked like fun! dirtadikt woulda been proud. hopefully they'll be something left for memorial weekend.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Looks like fun, I'm jealous. Good video of Tree Rat's grass turns, but I still like RustyK's better.
Mtn Man
Guru Poster

Post by Mtn Man »

Mister Moose wrote:Looks like fun, I'm jealous. Good video of Tree Rat's grass turns, but I still like RustyK's better.
Treerat missed me with the camera when I hit the 200ft stretch of SS doing mach looney. I think I hit about 100 rocks, made a few turns and absorbed the waterbar before hitting two patches, then the lower stretch. I saw a few hikers just staring, it was pretty funny. Someone said that they were just waiting for me to fall. They just don't understand that I'm a professional grass skier. Treerat and I have had years of practice!

B)
Mmmmmm, sidecountry....