Build the Interconnect! No more excuses!

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Well?

YES!
49%
NO!
51%

Total votes: 49

Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Build the Interconnect! No more excuses!

Post by Highway Star »

Full size: http://www.killingtonzone.com/albums/al ... sictow.jpg
Original: http://www.anr.state.vt.us/Imaging/Plan ... 20Plan.pdf

As you can see, this is based off an official Killington map.

- Highlighted in red are the existing Killington lifts, the one Pico side IC lift needed to make the interconnect functional (basic fixed grip quad? hybrid double that can be upgraded to a quad in the future?), plus an optional surface lift up to the top of Rams Head (poma?). All four Interconnect lifts (fully permitted, w/trails), are shown in the original drawing, plus other potential/replacement lifts.

- Highlighted in green are the trails needed, all beginner traverses. Half of them exist already. The trail off Rams Head Quad is a permitted downhill bike trail (as marked). Nothing different than any other beginner trail/traverse at Killington. Preferably, add a blue/black trail to the Pico side, and a glade.

- Elevations: Top - 3,800 ft Pico IC lift, Bottom - 2,650 ft at Rams Head connection.

- This could all be conducted on mostly natural snow for ~3 months of the year, because of the high elevation and mild trail pitch .....snowmaking requirements would be basic.

How much time does it take to install one lift (two?) and some traversing trails? Basic snowmaking? Any idea how much this would cost?

$2-3 Million Dollars.

How much did they just buy Killington for? Yeah, I thought it was worth waaaaay more than $85 Million too.......

A tough task, but it could be done quickly, and at moderate cost. It's permitted already except for the optional surface lift, and doesn't effect the future expansion negatively...in fact, it puts a foot in the door. And.....

.......it makes Killington/Pico..........one mountain...........this year.

This works, is priced right, and is just begging to be built.....quickly.....

EDIT:

"The ultimate post from hell:"

http://www.killingtonzone.com/forums/vi ... c&start=52

Why Pico will FAIL without this:

http://www.killingtonzone.com/forums/vi ... c&start=63

One year ROI:

http://www.killingtonzone.com/forums/vi ... c&start=69

The $20 Million Phase 1 Red Herring

http://www.killingtonzone.com/forums/vi ... c&start=74
Last edited by Highway Star on Jun 3rd, '07, 20:33, edited 11 times in total.
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

I would have to say that instead of starting off with beginner traverses (which Killington certinally does not need more of), they would be better off figuring out what would be some really good blue square / black diamond trails they could put in that area. Maybe a nice long twisty natural trail that they blow some snow on but other than that leave alone and then a couple of nice burners for some early AM cord that are not interupted with crossover trails.

I dont really know what the terrain is like between the two mountians, but the last thing we need are more trails that are interupted three times with the new version of great northern.

Just my thoughts.

E
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

boston_e wrote:I would have to say that instead of starting off with beginner traverses (which Killington certinally does not need more of), they would be better off figuring out what would be some really good blue square / black diamond trails they could put in that area. Maybe a nice long twisty natural trail that they blow some snow on but other than that leave alone and then a couple of nice burners for some early AM cord that are not interupted with crossover trails.

I dont really know what the terrain is like between the two mountians, but the last thing we need are more trails that are interupted three times with the new version of great northern.

Just my thoughts.

E
Woah there buddy.....

This is a first year plan. Its just an interconnect.

But it's a functional interconnect......to Pico, which is a very large mountain, and it opens up a vast tree skiing area in between.

There's plenty of time and room to expand in the interconnect area in coming years, as shown on the original map, but it has to stay within the existing permit (as what is drawn in the original map). Minor trail changes would probably be fine.

There's no getting around the traverses shown - they are part of ANY interconnect plan. The Pico to Killington trail already exists, except for the section over to Rams Head. The section off RH peak only comes with the optional surface lift. The section off of Rams Head Quad is going to be a bike trail already, and regardless of what they build over there, you're still going to want to be able to go directly over to Pico off the Rams Head Quad. However, you also want to be able to avoid getting on the Rams Head Quad if possible, so you need traverses to avoid it. Overall, it's not that bad of a place to have a few traverses, since the terrain is pretty mellow....these are all going to be very low traffic once the whole thing is built, and they will be de-emphasized. There won't be bad intersections. Killington can't exist without some traverses, it's just too wide.
Last edited by Highway Star on Jun 1st, '07, 00:20, edited 9 times in total.

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

It could be all right then.... i just dont want to see them end up with a handful of more intersection problems that we already have at Killington. Again, I'm not farmilar with the terrain between the two mountains so I really dont know what could be done, but this is thier chance to add what Killington is severely lacking... some long uninterupted trails.
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

boston_e wrote:It could be all right then.... i just dont want to see them end up with a handful of more intersection problems that we already have at Killington. Again, I'm not farmilar with the terrain between the two mountains so I really dont know what could be done, but this is thier chance to add what Killington is severely lacking... some long uninterupted trails.
Just look at the map.....that should get you famillar with the terrain.

And guess what? Pico has TONS of long, uninterupted trails..... :idea:

boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

Highway Star wrote: And guess what? Pico has TONS of long, uninterupted trails..... :idea:
shhh... dont give that secret away! :wink:
G-smashed
Official KZone Historian

Post by G-smashed »

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH
BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH
BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH
BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH

SAME sh*t DIFFERENT DAY

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH
BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH
BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH
BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH
BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAHBLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH

LET'S START A NEW THREAD AND POST THE SAME sh*t

AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN.

99% of us want you gone. Skiingsnow and Boston_e are new here - they'll learn.

Don't Deer Valley Killington!
http://www.myeloma.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ffrf.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.keithrichards.com/
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

boston_e wrote:
Highway Star wrote: And guess what? Pico has TONS of long, uninterupted trails..... :idea:
shhh... dont give that secret away! :wink:
Well, that's part of why I'm pushing for this so much. It really will add to the ski experience. People will be able to head over to Pico for part of a ski day, for a few hours, but still be able to park in Killington Basin, where all the action is.

It's just absurd to have such a huge area like Pico sitting right next door, but having to drive over there for the day to use it......just doesn't make much sense. The whole Killington/Pico operation becomes much more attractive if it's actually one MEGA HUGE ski area........

RENO
Whipping Post

Post by RENO »

As much as I would love the interconnect, how many times are you gonna post about it? :shock:
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

RENO wrote:As much as I would love the interconnect, how many times are you gonna post about it? :shock:
Thanks for asking........THIS IS MY LAST THREAD AND FINAL APPEAL ON THE SUBJECT OF THE INTERCONNECT.

I'm sincerely hoping enough people at Killington are reading this and it's opening someone's eyes. It's a last ditch effort to get them to take on a project like this, this summer, if at all possible. They are planning for season pass prices RIGHT NOW, and this is just the sort of thing that I'm sure they would love to announce with the passes. There are no excuses why it can't happen......it's not impossble, just somewhat hard to pull together.....but worth the effort.

I think the ROI will be massive in skier visits and positive buzz around the mountain. Sure, it's not the full blown $30 Million Interconnect project, but it accomplishes the goal of actually connecting the two areas, and would be up and running while Pico has prime conditions.......Pico sucks without a signifigant amount of natural snow anyway. It can be built out later to the full project.

Yes, it's not perfect....prone to bad weather without snowmaking, and will probably cause Pico's parking lots to be full at 9:30 am every weekend it is open.......but......don't you want Pico's parking lot to be full, and....if you don't have snowmaking, you don't have to spend tons of money blowing snow on it!!!!

We're talking about 1 lift and improving a couple existing routes, plus whatever goes along with that (power supply, ski patrol hut, etc). How much can that cost, with a used or relocated Quad Chair? $1 Million, maybe $1.5 Million.......?

Surely, the mighty Killington can install a lift and cut some trails........!
Last edited by Highway Star on Jun 1st, '07, 11:46, edited 1 time in total.

gpetrics
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by gpetrics »

i want the new owners to take better care of pico. If they need an interconnect to do that, then that's what i want more than anything. However if Pico miraculously gets first rate treatment (which I doubt), then I have little need for the interconnect.

This plan is pretty viable though. However I'm pretty sure they'll never do anything without snowmaking.
spinmaster
Bumper

Post by spinmaster »

At this point, the Killington/Pico Interconnect is at least 3-5 years out. In the meantime, a number of other items will be addressed, including snowmaking and facilities.
TKittle88
Beginner On Rentals

Post by TKittle88 »

I feel that if the interconnect is put in place, Pico will be overloaded with guests, and will be like President's Week all season long. Although, with the new owners, more staff over there and a more logical way of running things may be able to handle the flow. But as of right now, and how things are currently being handled over there, not that I have any problem with it; it's a great family oriented resort, I do feel that putting the interconnect in place, will send Pico on a run for their money and test how well they can handle a large amount of guests all season long.

my $.02
G-smashed
Official KZone Historian

Post by G-smashed »

[quote="Highway Star"]
Thanks for asking........THIS IS MY LAST POST AND FINAL APPEAL ON THE SUBJECT OF THE INTERCONNECT.

Promises, promises!

WHY DON'T YOU MAKE US ALL HAPPY AND MAKE IT YOUR LAST POST ?

Don't Deer Valley Killington!
http://www.myeloma.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ffrf.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.keithrichards.com/
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

spinmaster wrote:At this point, the Killington/Pico Interconnect is at least 3-5 years out. In the meantime, a number of other items will be addressed, including snowmaking and facilities.
OMG!!!!! HE'S BACK!!!!!

So, do you guys actually have an excuse as to why this can't be done, other than that you don't want to, and that it's not the full on IC Phase 1? Really?

Please tell me you have some REALLY good news coming for us in mid-June........................... :lol:

Are you at least going to cut that bike trail off the top of the Rams Head quad, so it's easier to traverse over and then hike up to get over there????
Last edited by Highway Star on Jun 1st, '07, 12:00, edited 1 time in total.