Some Oregon schools adopting Mexican curriculum

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

This is really what it's coming to, isn't it? On top of this, a small town in NJ (I think it's Hazelton) overturned a law regarding illegals such that today, landlords can rent to illegals despite them being ... well, illegal.

I'm happy my tax dollars aren't paying for this nonsense in Oregon. I know in NJ, there were two Spanish kids on my block and my mother had to tutor them because the school wouldn't accommodate them. That's the way it should be, IMHO.

06:46 PM PDT on Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Associated Press

Some Oregon high schools are adopting Mexico's public school curriculum to help educate Spanish-speaking students with textbooks, an online Web site, DVDs and CDs provided free by Mexico to teach math, science and even U.S. history.

The Oregon Department of Education and Mexico's Secretariat of Public Education are discussing aligning their curricula so courses will be valid in both countries.

Similar ventures are under way in Yakima, Wash., San Diego, Calif., and Austin, Texas.

"Students come to us with such complex issues," said Tim King, director of Clackamas Middle College and Clackamas Web Academy, where a virtual course using Mexico's learning materials got started this week.

"We've had to change in order to fit into each school scene, become more complex and open ourselves up to new situations."

Oregon officials say the approach is intended as a supplement to keep students learning in Spanish while also gaining English skills.

Until now, Oregon school districts generally have relied on bilingual aides or used Spanish material different from the English material others are studying.

"That's not enough," said Patrick Burk, chief policy officer with the superintendent's office of the Oregon Department of Education. He said the idea is minimal disruption for immigrant Latinos.

"The availability of resources is astounding," said Burk, who flew to Mexico with Oregon curriculum officials in August to discuss making equivalency standards official. "We're able to serve the students so much better if we're working together."

Mexico has made its national curriculum available to communities across the U.S. since 2001 to encourage Mexican adults and youths to continue an education often abandoned back home due to limited resources.

"We wanted people to be aware that they have to study," said Patricia Ramos, the director of national affairs for Mexico's Institute for Adult Education and National Advisory of Education for Life and Work.

"You have to dare to study and make use of technology because that way, it will be easier to adapt to where you now live."

In other places, the curriculum was used to educate students' parents, rescue dropouts and even teach inmates. A program exists now at MacLaren Youth Correctional Facility in Woodburn.

The program caught the attention of public schools such as Reynolds High School in Troutdale and Marshall Night School, an alternative school based at Marshall High School in Portland.

At Marshall, the material has been used in night school and may soon move into daytime classrooms.

At Reynolds, educators began using part of Mexico's curriculum to teach a Spanish literacy class.

Students learned punctuation and sentence structure in Spanish and then saw improvement in English progress, said Dale Bernardini, a teacher who handles the partnership for Reynolds School District.

This fall, textbooks, DVDs and Mexico's curriculum Web were introduced in Francisco Rico's math classroom at Reynolds.

"We're just ahead with all the materials," he said. "We have the Web site where students can do exercises ... they can learn through visual and audio. We were having trouble bringing something that would be familiar to their culture."

In Washington state, nearly 30 schools have already implemented Mexico's curriculum into the classrooms.

In Oregon, learning materials are free, but districts must pay for staff. So far, two computer servers supporting Mexico's Web site cost the state about $10,000 to install and about $2,200 annually to maintain.

One of the biggest challenges will be finding more Spanish-speaking instructors, said Burk of the Oregon Department of Education.

He said about 15 percent of Oregon students are Latino, compared with 2 percent of teachers.
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

I am against this type of thing since that will mean that it will take much longer for the kids to adapt to this country. They should receive some help initially when they don't understand but within 6 months time most kids will have learned enough English to get along just fine. I had to do it and I survived and prospered. 3 years after coming to this country I was in the honor English class. Babying them will just make them lazier about learning the new language.
CAPBOY
Guru Poster

Post by CAPBOY »

Adopting Mexican's is on the curriculum?
St. Jerry
Powderhound

Post by St. Jerry »

I don't mind. It will help keep labor costs low.
Ron Paul 2012
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Re: Some Oregon schools adopting Mexican curriculum

Post by BigKahuna13 »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:This is really what it's coming to, isn't it? On top of this, a small town in NJ (I think it's Hazelton) overturned a law regarding illegals such that today, landlords can rent to illegals despite them being ... well, illegal.
How is the landlord supposed to determine that they're illegal? Why should a landlord be compelled to enforce immigration laws that the government with all it's manpower and money can't - or won't - enforce?

Where should these illegals sleep? On the street in front of your home?

And what's all this fear about language anyway? Most of the world is
multilingual. You act as if having two or more languages in common use is a bad thing.
What is not possible is not to choose. ~Jean-Paul Sartre

junior
Signature Poster

Post by junior »

BigKahuna13 wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:This is really what it's coming to, isn't it? On top of this, a small town in NJ (I think it's Hazelton) overturned a law regarding illegals such that today, landlords can rent to illegals despite them being ... well, illegal.
How is the landlord supposed to determine that they're illegal? Why should a landlord be compelled to enforce immigration laws that the government with all it's manpower and money can't - or won't - enforce?

multilingual. You act as if having two or more languages in common use is a bad thing.
MarieM
Post Office

Post by MarieM »

BigKahuna13 wrote:

I know this is a serious discussion, but BigK, with all the questions...I can't help but think of this...

Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

BigKahuna13 wrote:

If we are going to teach a language that is a major part of the world, why not Chinese? After all, 1/3 of the population is within China and the main language is Chinese. Why Spanish, and why should tax dollars be spent to teach them in that language? You want a 2nd language, fine, and I agree we should all have at least one. But why Spanish? I don't want to speak it except to have knowledge of what the F they are saying. I want to learn GERMAN dam it!
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

BigKahuna13 wrote:

Not sure how they were supposed to determine if they're legal or not, but the law was in place for some reason. You're right in that the landlord shouldn't be compelled to enforce the law just like businesses shouldn't, but until the Fed acts appropriately, it's up to the local/state gov'ts to enforce the law, IMHO.

They should sleep in jail, just like I would if I committed a crime.

I don't fear the language, I welcome it, but schools shouldn't spend my tax dollars catering to Spanish speaking students ... children most likely of illegal immigrants.
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

MarieM wrote:
BigKahuna13 wrote:

I know this is a serious discussion, but BigK, with all the questions...I can't help but think of this...

If I'm Gilda Radner does that make you Jane Curtin? : - )

Dr No wrote: If we are going to teach a language that is a major part of the world, why not Chinese? After all, 1/3 of the population is within China and the main language is Chinese. Why Spanish, and why should tax dollars be spent to teach them in that language? You want a 2nd language, fine, and I agree we should all have at least one. But why Spanish? I don't want to speak it except to have knowledge of what the F they are saying. I want to learn GERMAN dam it!
You're kidding right? Yeah 1/3 of the world speaks Chinese but they are, as you say in China. Not here. Like it or not there are a lot of Spanish
speakers in this country. It's silly to deny that fact. Reality is Spanish
is this nation's second language in fact if not in name.

XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Not sure how they were supposed to determine if they're legal or not, but the law was in place for some reason. You're right in that the landlord shouldn't be compelled to enforce the law just like businesses shouldn't, but until the Fed acts appropriately, it's up to the local/state gov'ts to enforce the law, IMHO.

I don't fear the language, I welcome it, but schools shouldn't spend my tax dollars catering to Spanish speaking students ... children most likely of illegal immigrants.
The law was in place probably because it was easier for the local government to attempt to push their responsibility off on the private
sector.

So it's better to throw people in jail than to educate them and turn them into productive members of society. Not only is that idea foolish it's not
cost effective. It's far cheaper to educate someone than to incarcerate them.

MarieM
Post Office

Post by MarieM »

BigKahuna13 wrote:
MarieM wrote:
BigKahuna13 wrote:

Wouldn't it make me Chevy Chase?

("I'm Chevy Chase...and you're not.)

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled serious discussion.

(I like Capboy's comment.)
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

BigKahuna13 wrote:The law was in place probably because it was easier for the local government to attempt to push their responsibility off on the private
sector.

So it's better to throw people in jail than to educate them and turn them into productive members of society. Not only is that idea foolish it's not
So are you advocating that others who have broken the law receive similar leniency?
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
BigKahuna13 wrote:The law was in place probably because it was easier for the local government to attempt to push their responsibility off on the private
sector.

So are you advocating that others who have broken the law receive similar leniency?
I'm advocating being realistic. The "illegal problem" is not going to go away. These people are here to stay. I'd much rather they be educated and become - or remain - productive members of society than to have
my tax dollars used to build and operate more jails.

I'd also note that no where in the article do they talk about "illegal immigrants". The words "Spanish speaking", "Latino" and "Mexican"
were used. Why are you assuming that they are illegals?

MarieM wrote: Wouldn't it make me Chevy Chase?
I guess it would at that. My memory's shot - I don't remember much
of the original SNL. Old age y'know.

XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

BigKahuna13 wrote:
I'm advocating being realistic. The "illegal problem" is not going to go away. These people are here to stay. I'd much rather they be educated and become - or remain - productive members of society than to have
my tax dollars used to build and operate more jails.

I'd also note that no where in the article do they talk about "illegal immigrants". The words "Spanish speaking", "Latino" and "Mexican"
were used. Why are you assuming that they are illegals?
Until they're officially legal, the law should be followed, IMHO. You can't round up all the pot smokers and put them in jail since there is just as many users as illegals, IMO ... but yet billions are still spent sending pot smokers to jail, despite it not being realistic. The law should be applied in the same manner across the board, not applied when it's realistic and not when it's unrealistic.

I guess I have trouble believing that children of a legal family would speak little English by age 5. My buddy is a Sunni Muslim from Bangladesh and his two year old daughter can speak both English and Bangali ...
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

BigKahuna13 wrote:
MarieM wrote:
BigKahuna13 wrote:

Dr No wrote: If we are going to teach a language that is a major part of the world, why not Chinese? After all, 1/3 of the population is within China and the main language is Chinese. Why Spanish, and why should tax dollars be spent to teach them in that language? You want a 2nd language, fine, and I agree we should all have at least one. But why Spanish? I don't want to speak it except to have knowledge of what the F they are saying. I want to learn GERMAN dam it!
You're kidding right? Yeah 1/3 of the world speaks Chinese but they are, as you say in China. Not here. Like it or not there are a lot of Spanish
speakers in this country. It's silly to deny that fact. Reality is Spanish
is this nation's second language in fact if not in name.

XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Not sure how they were supposed to determine if they're legal or not, but the law was in place for some reason. You're right in that the landlord shouldn't be compelled to enforce the law just like businesses shouldn't, but until the Fed acts appropriately, it's up to the local/state gov'ts to enforce the law, IMHO.

The law was in place probably because it was easier for the local government to attempt to push their responsibility off on the private
sector.

Then with that logic, an area that is majority of another language should have that language taught in the schools systems. So, here in CT, Bridgeport and Hartford should be Spanish while New Haven County should be Italian, New Britain and that entire region should all be taught the native tongue of Poland. Sounds like a great way to keep the melting pot going.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?