Met with senior management today...

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Bubba
Site Admin

Met with senior management today...

Post by Bubba »

Met with Selbo, Nyberg and Dave Rathbun, among others, this morning.

They will open earlier than target date if we get enough natural snow early to pack and hold, and will blow snow along with it if the forecast is favorable. They will not simply blow snow to get open early, although I would guess that if the temperatures are favorable for a long enough term, they would. That will be a judgment call at the time, at least IMO. Their snowmaking budget and how they use it is based on their target opening and closing dates, subject to adjustment based on weather. They will stay open later than target date if the conditions are favorable and there's evidence that people will keep coming at a profit. Opening weekends only late season is likely not an option - they will most probably be either open or closed.

They are spending some effort in clearing back the encroaching brush at various points on the hill in order to widen spots that had, at one time, been wider. There will be a bigger effort on this next summer. They know there are serious bottlenecks in spots and will be looking at how to decrease them. Clearing some of the encroachment is their first step in this direction.

They hear the complaints about midweek lift operation, particularly not running the Canyon Quad and South Ridge Triple. I sense no change, however, to planned operation this season. They do have a goal over time of decreasing the number of lifts while maintaining or increasing uphill capacity.

Village plans appear somewhat different from those suggested over the past few years by ASC/Centex. What we saw was the village layout, the phase 1 development area including moving the access road in the area of Rams Head and Snowshed, the overall site plan, preliminary building design and ground level views of various components. If all goes well with the permitting process, 2010 or 2011 is the year they'll start selling. My guess is all will not go well with the process and it will be later. There will be a minimum of two public presentations on the village plans, possibly one on a weekend for folks who live outside of Killington, as part of the initial Act 250 process. My personal impression was favorable but there are a lot of details that need to be worked out.

Their overall strategy is to stress quality over quantity, thus the pricing and operating strategies they're employing. Their goal is to reduce peak day crowding, improve the overall experience, and bring Killington back. I believe it is a worthy goal but I have, over the past several months, come to believe it is a questionable strategy being used to accomplish it. I heard nothing today to convince me otherwise. I am open to being proven wrong and actually hopeful that such will be the case.

On a positive note, we heard no comments relating to parasitic birds eating seeds off the backs of larger animals, nor did we hear anything about eating what is killed. :wink:
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
newpylong
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong »

Very questionable strategy indeed...
ski the trees
Bumper

Post by ski the trees »

Communication is a good thing. Thank you Bubba.
whiteout
Wanted Poster

Post by whiteout »

5 yrs and sp is gone. then on to the next road kill...
double the powder and shorten the fuse!
millerm277
Postaholic

Post by millerm277 »

I disagree with the direction they're trying to go (and think they won't be successful in the least), but I can respect it, provided that they stop making boneheaded moves (such as some of the massive PR disasters of the past few months).

I don't have a huge amount of faith that they will keep their word with regard to snowmaking, but I'll hold judgment until their actions prove them right or wrong. (Did they say anything about modernizing the system?)

They didn't have much choice but to either clear the brush, or take some trails off the map. Has Valley Plunge been cleared yet? Recognizing the bottlenecks is good...fixing them would be much better, especially since some of them could be fixed fairly easily.

Edit: Also, Bubba...while it's good to hear about these things, the fact that you are the one telling us says a lot about how terrible Powdr is in communicating anything to it's customers.
Last edited by millerm277 on Sep 29th, '07, 19:34, edited 1 time in total.
b-5
Wanted Poster

Post by b-5 »

whiteout wrote:5 yrs and sp is gone. then on to the next road kill...
on one hand...A-Men Brother
On the other give them a season then see what happens.
whiteout
Wanted Poster

Post by whiteout »

b-5 wrote:
we're staying for awhile since we are "entrenched". some people will and should move on. things would be different if our condo wasn't located 30' from sun dog. we lucked out, plain and simple. early/late season we drive like everyone else - but when sunrise is open, our access is unmatched. and that's worth a shitload since my family loves to ski...btw, we're riding tomorrow AM, cannonball trailhead @ 8:30 AM...
b-5
Wanted Poster

Post by b-5 »

whiteout wrote:
b-5 wrote:
we're staying for awhile since we are "entrenched". some people will and should move on. things would be different if our condo wasn't located 30' from sun dog. we lucked out, plain and simple. early/late season we drive like everyone else - but when sunrise is open, our access is unmatched. and that's worth a shitload since my family loves to ski...btw, we're riding tomorrow AM, cannonball trailhead @ 8:30 AM...
having a trail side condo/house IS the way to go, on any mtn!
i will be driving the wife 2 newark airport at that time.
rode mahlon dickerson 2day.
fast and not 2 dusty.
whiteout
Wanted Poster

Post by whiteout »

b-5 wrote:
whiteout wrote:
b-5 wrote:
having a trail side condo/house IS the way to go, on any mtn!
i will be driving the wife 2 newark airport at that time.
rode mahlon dickerson 2day.
fast and not 2 dusty.
great weather for a ride. no chain suck...
the Disemboweler
Whipping Post

Re: Met with senior management today...

Post by the Disemboweler »

Bubba wrote:Met with Selbo, Nyberg and Dave Rathbun, among others, this morning.

Their overall strategy is to stress quality over quantity, thus the pricing and operating strategies they're employing. Their goal is to reduce peak day crowding, improve the overall experience, and bring Killington back. I believe it is a worthy goal but I have, over the past several months, come to believe it is a questionable strategy being used to accomplish it. I heard nothing today to convince me otherwise. I am open to being proven wrong and actually hopeful that such will be the case.

:wink:

Their goal is to reduce peak day crowding, improve the overall experience, and bring Killington back.
by stressing quality over quantity? increasing prices? & employing operating strategies????
I do what I want, when I want, where I want, & how I want & if you don't like it you can go $uck yourself :-)

Witness the birth of evil. The disemboweler :-$

http://www.yadvashem.org/

http://www.komennyc.org/

http://gohtbc.blogspot.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE4dJJ_k ... re=related

http://www.swjackdrilling.com/

Long live Killington Resort and Turn of the River Lodge!!!!
the Disemboweler
Whipping Post

Post by the Disemboweler »

They didn't have much choice but to either clear the brush, or take some trails off the map. Has Valley Plunge been cleared yet? Recognizing the bottlenecks is good...fixing them would be much better, especially since some of them could be fixed fairly easily.
whatever happened to operation munch :?: :?: :lol: :lol:
I do what I want, when I want, where I want, & how I want & if you don't like it you can go $uck yourself :-)

Witness the birth of evil. The disemboweler :-$

http://www.yadvashem.org/

http://www.komennyc.org/

http://gohtbc.blogspot.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE4dJJ_k ... re=related

http://www.swjackdrilling.com/

Long live Killington Resort and Turn of the River Lodge!!!!
k2trav
Beginner On Rentals

Post by k2trav »

Hey Bubba, how do they feel about Kzone.

Sugarloaf management hates the unofficial sugarloaf chat, it drives em nuts.
junior
Signature Poster

Post by junior »

We're screwed. Mgt is using Bubba as a means of communication. We're screwed.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

junior wrote:We're screwed. Mgt is using Bubba as a means of communication. We're screwed.
Nah, it was just our our quarterly condo board meeting.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Gangsta Rider
Postaholic

Post by Gangsta Rider »

Any word if they are painting the snowdon triple or doing any other improvements before the season starts?