driving on a full size spare tire?

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

If it's a full size spare and in good condition why not drive on it?

In the old days the spare used to be part of the tire rotation.

Only thing that I would be worried about would be getting another flat. Then you're SOL.

(in any case a puncture takes 10 minutes to fix and costs a few dollars. Just fix the thing)
What is not possible is not to choose. ~Jean-Paul Sartre

Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

yeti wrote:Drive up, when you get there drop the rim at a Sears or NTB or some such. Pick up before you leave for home (check their hours first).
I don't think you will find one of these places in Lulow, Vt!
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
pcgrantham
Poster Child Poster

Post by pcgrantham »

if it's on the front and the tire wear is different on the spare then the current tire then it could throw off the alignment. Probably won't hurt it, just could make it feel out of sync.
yeti
Powderhound

Post by yeti »

Big Bob wrote:
yeti wrote:Drive up, when you get there drop the rim at a Sears or NTB or some such. Pick up before you leave for home (check their hours first).
I don't think you will find one of these places in Lulow, Vt!
I am sure one would pass one on the way (and it could even be a mom and pop gas station w/ garage). Could just pay them up front and tell them to leave the tire outside and that you'll pick it up later.
Thanks for the mammaries! (.)(.)
Eski
Postaholic

Post by Eski »

so, my pepper mill went empty yesterday while prepping for a meal - I filled it up with a fresh batch of mixed peppercorns but went a little past the fill line, which made it difficult to get the threaded crank back on ... I didn't want to tip it to get the extra peppercorns out and then have to put them back into the jar, so I just forced the crank in ... initially, the handle was a little difficult to turn and I got some oversized pepper flakes, but as more room was created within the mill, I just re-tightened the crank ... do you think I caused any damage to the mill or should I have some sort of kitchen appliance guy look at before I use it again?
pcgrantham
Poster Child Poster

Post by pcgrantham »

Eski wrote:so, my pepper mill went empty yesterday while prepping for a meal - I filled it up with a fresh batch of mixed peppercorns but went a little past the fill line, which made it difficult to get the threaded crank back on ... I didn't want to tip it to get the extra peppercorns out and then have to put them back into the jar, so I just forced the crank in ... initially, the handle was a little difficult to turn and I got some oversized pepper flakes, but as more room was created within the mill, I just re-tightened the crank ... do you think I caused any damage to the mill or should I have some sort of kitchen appliance guy look at before I use it again?
bring it to sears on the way up to K next time you go, have them look at it while you are on the mountain. It should be fixed by the time you are eady to go home.
Last edited by pcgrantham on Jan 19th, '08, 15:26, edited 1 time in total.
Eski
Postaholic

Post by Eski »

pcgrantham wrote:
Eski wrote:so, my pepper mill went empty yesterday while prepping for a meal - I filled it up with a fresh batch of mixed peppercorns but went a little past the fill line, which made it difficult to get the threaded crank back on ... I didn't want to tip it to get the extra peppercorns out and then have to put them back into the jar, so I just forced the crank in ... initially, the handle was a little difficult to turn and I got some oversized pepper flakes, but as more room was created within the mill, I just re-tightened the crank ... do you think I caused any damage to the mill or should I have some sort of kitchen appliance guy look at before I use it again?
bring it to sears on the way up to K next time you go, have them look at it while you are on the mountain. It shoudl be fixed by the time you are eady to go home.
Thanks so much!
I sure hope I don't get a flat on the way
MarieM
Post Office

Post by MarieM »

Not skiing today, huh? Seems like you have some time on your hands!

: - )
Eski
Postaholic

Post by Eski »

MarieM wrote: Not skiing today, huh? Seems like you have some time on your hands!

: - )
went out after I posted, Life Is Good!
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

Probably too late for Jim, but he has a JEEP. If he also has the limited slip rear end, and that is the flat, he must use the proper tire to run on or damage the differential.

I don't think I would use a temporary spare to drive from CT to VT, but that is me.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?